Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rph1234

Thoughts On This Plan

rph1234
11 years ago

What does everyone think of this plan? Do you see any major problems or anything with it? I am considering building the reverse of this plan with a few changes. Bedroom 2 would be a study with french doors opening in the foyer. I would like to make the kitchen big enough to include an island. I would also like to rearrange the master closets/bathroom. I would like one door opening to the bathroom with his/her closets on each side and I would also like a doorless walkin shower. Also I would like to incorporate stacked stone with brick into the exterior, but not exactly sure where the stone would look best? How does everything else look, and do you think the changes are possible with this plan?

Thanks

Here is a link that might be useful: Plan

Comments (5)

• rrah
    11 years ago

I don't know about the kitchen island. At 11' 10" ft wide an island would be a tight squeeze. No suggestions as to how to make that happen unless you make the entire house wider. Others may have suggestions.

I think the other changes are possible.

What I don't like about the plan is the lack of any closets near any entrances. I'm not even talking about a large mudroom with tons of cubbies. The lack of a simple closet near entrance doors would eliminate this plan for me. I notice two closets near the bedrooms, but that is a long way to go to put a jacket. Even in warm climates people have umbrellas and light jackets.

• mrspete
    11 years ago

Overall, I like it.

- I'd square off that breakfast room; the angle is expensive to build and offers no practical value. Since that area is small (and is also a major hallway from the garage), I'd consider a built-in banquette instead of a free-standing table.

- Instead of two separate closets in the master, I'd remove the wall between them and make it one long closet. That'd mean no need for the bathroom entrance, and you could use that "bathroom walkway space" as closet as well. This would give you a huge, long master closet.

- The weak point is the kitchen. Being in the middle of the house, it's going to be rather dark. Also, I'd be concerned about the functionality of the space. It's a difficult size: You'll be taking extra steps across the space, yet it isn't wide enough for an island. I think you could keep the rest of the plan and make the kitchen into something more workable.

• carolyn53562
    11 years ago

Where do you live? The living room is not going to get much natural light flowing into it because it is set back and its only windows/door open into a covered porch. In the South, the works fine because it is hot and you want to block the sun. If you live in the North, you might not like having a dark living room in the winter when it is cold. Also, having the living room set back like that means that your view out the windows is going to be very narrow. If you will have a nice view, you may not like that.

• rph1234
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the comments everyone. One other thing that I have thought about doing is taking the foyer wall out of the dining room so it would be more open because I like an open floor plan. Thoughts?

Rrah, making the whole house wider was the only way I could think of making the kitchen bigger too. That may be my only option. Not having the closets at the entrance isn't a big deal for me.

MrsPete, I'm glad you mentioned squaring off the breakfast area. I hadn't thought of that, but I like that idea. I'm gonna have to play around with the master bathroom/closets to find something I like. I know the kitchen doesn't have any windows, but shouldn't it get a good amount of light from the breakfast and great room shining in the kitchen? Being that it is in the middle like you said, are there any other options for natural light besides skylights?

Carolyn, yes I am in the south.

• dekeoboe
    11 years ago

The 5' x 7' master closet is not wide enough to have clothes hanging on both sides. And for the closet off the bathroom, I would change the door to an outswing so you don't have to walk around the door to get to the clothes behind it.

The master toilet room needs an outswing door for safety.

The dishwasher placement is a problem. If the dishwasher door is open, you cannot stand at the sink.