Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
epsherwood

Beach House Plans - Comments Please!

epsherwood
10 years ago

We�ve had an opportunity to build a new beach house fall into our lap and would love your feedback on the plans! This is a beach house that needs to be rented in the short term to pay for it! But eventually may be our retirement spot! Love the oregon coast!

Goals - multiple master suites for rental and guests
Lots of open space
Several gathering areas for kids versus parents!
4 bedrooms
4.5 baths
Saving space and construction costs with straight run stairs but will be quite open with spindles as far up as possible

The best view is west - where the wider deck is and from higher floors as we're looking over houses on the road below us.

South has a nice view over the park to the ocean in the distance but not as dramatic as west view.

Trying to balance construction costs and wish list (who isn't!)

Comments (7)

• epsherwood
    Original Author
    10 years ago

That was the ground floor above. Here is second floor!

• epsherwood
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is third (top) floor

• epsherwood
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is south elevation - which also faces street although house will be set at back of lot with driveway up the side - for best views! In the front will be landscaped with firepit and plantings so you won't get big view of house from street.

• sheloveslayouts
    10 years ago

I can't see the labels on your floor plan very well, but I love the Oregon Coast too and thought I'd chime in.

A few years ago we rented a house in Pacific City that was a great setup for two sets of grandparents and three young families with younger children. We were two streets off the beach, but the view was awesome from the third floor and one of the bedrooms on the second.

Ground level: Garage, rec room with TV and pool table, bunk room with 3 sets of bunk beds.

2nd level: two bedrooms, bathroom, bedroom with en suite, laundry, main entry "front door"

3rd level: open concept kitchen/ dining room with banquette seating/ double living room (two seating areas back-to-back; was great for keeping little ones close, but separate from adults. Bedroom, separate bath.

The bunk room/rec room floor was perfect for the older kids with later bedtimes. The third floor was perfect if just one couple was staying there since it had bedroom, bath, kitchen, living all on one level.

The sand was a mess and I would think a laundry room on the main floor would be best since we always entered through the garage, dropping off beach toys there. Maybe it would be best to dump dirty clothes there too? Also, if you're thinking of being a rental... the stairs were a challenge for our families. If you anticipate renters with small children you might consider some kind of integrated safety gates at the tops of the stair cases.

Such a wonderful opportunity for you!

• epsherwood
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks benjesbride!!! We're excited, but I'm nervous! My usually super cautious DH is just throwing caution to the wind on this one!!!!
    Yes we toyed with a completely reversed floor plan but I just can't stand the thought of lugging groceries to the third floor! So we compromised with living on the second floor which still has a really nice view.
    We are thinking maybe we'll leave a space for a future elevator somewhere in the floor plan, just not sure where!
    We've separated the bedrooms for that exact reason - so that generations or groups can have their own space - I like that myself. Our house right now has all the bedrooms on one floor and its weird for guests. Same with having lots of bathrooms. Its just easier when you have kids and grandparents and parents to have everyone with their own bath!
    Did that house have straight run stairs like we're planning? We will definitely put gates up! And we'll have pickets as far up as possible to make it open. It just seems much more space efficient.

• sheloveslayouts
    10 years ago

The stairs were narrower (probably code minimum, straight, in the middle of the house and fully framed in (not sure what else to call it- I don't recall any banisters or spindles, just handrails) if you frame up for a future elevator, maybe you could install a simple manual dumb waiter in the interim. THAT would have been an awesome feature to get the gear up to the third floor.

I'm excited for you. Yay oregon! I'll do a quick search and if the house is still a rental ill post a link. It's probably a pretty standard 3 level beach house plan.

• epsherwood
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Benjesbride thats a great idea! We've changed around quite a few things - let me upload the latest iteration of the plans!