Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dse1_gw

Adding a Tray Ceiling to Existing Master Bedroom - Cost??

dse1
16 years ago

I originally posted this in the Remodelers forum, but someone suggested I post it hear instead.

We have a relatively new house (3 years old) that surprisingly, doesn't have a tray ceiling in the master bedoom. I am quite happy with the rest of the house, but would love to "fix" this. I know the attic truss system would likely need to be modified to do this.

Obviously this would need to be done by a qualified professional. I am sure it's expensive, but any idea how much this would cost?

Comments (12)

• bdpeck-charlotte
    16 years ago

I've seen some "reverse" treys lately. Where the center comes down instead of up. If you've only got 9' ceilings, this is not an option, but if you've got 10' or more, it would be more cost effective. I don't know if it would appeal to you or make you turn up your nose.

• peterbog
    16 years ago

Very expensive if you have to cut into an existing ceiling and or alter the attic framework especially if it is a truss system!

If you have 9 or 10 feet shouldn't be very expensive to add a dropped tray around the outside of the room.

Depending on skills its feasible as a do it your self project. Just frame up a box out of 2X4's and nail it to the existing wall/ceiling framing. Then cover with drywall. Toughest part will be getting a good corner on the tray...the joint on the wall/ceiling can be hid with some crown molding. Optional to put in some lights.

• solie
    16 years ago

I don't think the absence of a tray ceiling is surprising. Personally I think they are a little overdone and sometimes dated-looking.

Do you have to have a tray ceiling? If you are just looking to add interest how about a wood-stained flat ceiling or some wainscotting or really beautiful custom bedding and window treatments?

• meldy_nva
    16 years ago

You can get the effect (IMO, a better effect) by stair-stepping mouldings from about the topmost 8 to 10" of wall and across the adjoining ceiling 6 to 8". I've seen it done with rope lighting set in, which gives an excellent illusionary depth. If the ceiling has a textured finish, the effect can be amazing as the light brings out the patterns.

• kateskouros
    16 years ago

we're building a new house and i don't want tray ceilings anywhere so i don't know why the absence of one is surprising. it's personal preference. and personally, not for me. i prefer a coffered ceiling ...which should be easier for you to install after the fact. GL, do what makes you happy.

• dse1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks to everyone for the comments and suggestions. Our ceiling height on the main floor is 10.5 feet, but it's only 8 on the second level with the master bedroom. We have a huge 4 post bed with is almost 7 feet high (the posts) so with the flat ceiling it makes the room feel smaller. I agree a coffered ceiling would be great but wouldn't work with the existing height. There is already enameled crown around the room. Even adding a small ceiling dome and having the central fixture attached would make a big difference. I wonder if that would be possible to do? I also like the idea of the stair step mouldings but it seems silly to remove the crown.

• melton0915
    8 years ago

Home_nw....was was an estimated cost for having this done in your bedroom?

• Vency Dev
    5 years ago
    Adding a tray ceiling to an existing bedroom, can be done, if so how much the cost.
  • jn3344
    5 years ago

• Laurie Schrader
    5 years ago

Homeowner opinion only- Your master, as described, already sounds as though it's encroaching on/crowding the ceiling. Honestly- I think you need to make a decision between ceiling design and the very big and tall bed. There's a fine line between cozy and crammed in. Cost? Look locally.

• jn3344
    5 years ago

That was 2008. Hopefully she's decided by now.