Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Adding a Tray Ceiling to Existing Master Bedroom - Cost??

Posted by dse1 (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 10, 08 at 23:09

I originally posted this in the Remodelers forum, but someone suggested I post it hear instead.

We have a relatively new house (3 years old) that surprisingly, doesn't have a tray ceiling in the master bedoom. I am quite happy with the rest of the house, but would love to "fix" this. I know the attic truss system would likely need to be modified to do this.
Obviously this would need to be done by a qualified professional. I am sure it's expensive, but any idea how much this would cost?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Adding a Tray Ceiling to Existing Master Bedroom - Cost??

I've seen some "reverse" treys lately. Where the center comes down instead of up. If you've only got 9' ceilings, this is not an option, but if you've got 10' or more, it would be more cost effective. I don't know if it would appeal to you or make you turn up your nose.

o

Very expensive if you have to cut into an existing ceiling and or alter the attic framework especially if it is a truss system!

If you have 9 or 10 feet shouldn't be very expensive to add a dropped tray around the outside of the room.

Depending on skills its feasible as a do it your self project. Just frame up a box out of 2X4's and nail it to the existing wall/ceiling framing. Then cover with drywall. Toughest part will be getting a good corner on the tray...the joint on the wall/ceiling can be hid with some crown molding. Optional to put in some lights.

o

I don't think the absence of a tray ceiling is surprising. Personally I think they are a little overdone and sometimes dated-looking.

Do you have to have a tray ceiling? If you are just looking to add interest how about a wood-stained flat ceiling or some wainscotting or really beautiful custom bedding and window treatments?

o

You can get the effect (IMO, a better effect) by stair-stepping mouldings from about the topmost 8 to 10" of wall and across the adjoining ceiling 6 to 8". I've seen it done with rope lighting set in, which gives an excellent illusionary depth. If the ceiling has a textured finish, the effect can be amazing as the light brings out the patterns.

o

we're building a new house and i don't want tray ceilings anywhere so i don't know why the absence of one is surprising. it's personal preference. and personally, not for me. i prefer a coffered ceiling ...which should be easier for you to install after the fact. GL, do what makes you happy.

o

Thanks to everyone for the comments and suggestions. Our ceiling height on the main floor is 10.5 feet, but it's only 8 on the second level with the master bedroom. We have a huge 4 post bed with is almost 7 feet high (the posts) so with the flat ceiling it makes the room feel smaller. I agree a coffered ceiling would be great but wouldn't work with the existing height. There is already enameled crown around the room. Even adding a small ceiling dome and having the central fixture attached would make a big difference. I wonder if that would be possible to do? I also like the idea of the stair step mouldings but it seems silly to remove the crown.

o

Isn't it great how we like different styles? How boring if we all wanted exactly the same thing!

We have a tray ceiling in our Master Bedroom and love it. We have a 4-poster bed too (with tall posts), so I appreciate your concern. Our upstairs has 9 ft ceilings, so our architect's solution was to cut into the attic space for the tray. The tray can start its "rise" from as far away from the walls as need be. (Allows for crown moulding too.)

05-04-07-MasterBedroom_4227-300.jpg

As an aside, I wouldn't want to cut into trusses, regardless of the cost, without getting an engineering evaluation of the structural implications.

Good luck! With even a little space above your ceiling, it seems like it should be very possible to create a tray.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here