Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cooperville_gw

Summerfield; I would so appreciate your opinion

cooperville
13 years ago

I have been looking around and noticed that you are very good and detailed in your plans. If you have any time I would greatly appreciate you looking at this plan. If I give you a little background it may help to understand why it is as it is. We are a very large family with 10, going on 11 children. We LOVE open spaces and have come to see the benefit of them with so many bodies passing one another.

Our home will be simple, a Dutch Colonial, or a gambrel barn style. Not much to look at on the outside, we hope to add a porch in the future.

We want to have a private master bedroom, a sitting area where we can talk privately and a roomy master bath. I like being able to see the garden tub from the room. I would like to have two showerheads in the shower but I don't know how big it has to be for that.

I know there is only the master bath on the main floor but there will be two upstairs with a possibility of four toilets up there, and one in the basement. Maybe I should have a half bath too? There will be a laundry area upstairs in between the dorm style rooms for all the childrens clothes so the one downstairs doesn't need to be that big. We homeschool and I don't want to have it in the basement anymore. We will have a walk out basement and that is where there will be a large mudroom with locker cubbies.

We want lots of room in the kitchen for all the workers we have and also for others that we have in our home regularly. Our table is custom made for our family, I know it's BIG, 7 x 7. All the base cabinets will be drawers and the only uppers will be on the outside of the ranges, which will resemble hutches. There is a picture that I have duplicated in my drawing that I will try to figure out how to post. There are narrow windown just beside the ranges.

The stairs are perfectly centered for the upstairs because there is a dorm room on each side of the house.

The family room is the same size as we have now and can't imagine it being any smaller.

We're not positive about heating, but if we do go with a wood burning stove I thought this would be centrally located and the heat would be able to travel upstairs easier.

I am trying to do this simply and still be able to accomplich our desires and what would be best for our family. I know this is supper long. : )

Thanks to anyone that has taken the time to read this

Comments (30)

• bevangel_i_h8_h0uzz
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

My goodness, with 10 kids and another on the way PLUS home-schooling them all, I can't imagine how you've even found time to post here much less learn enough about SmartDraw to even start putting together a home design. You must be amazingly organized! Be aware tho that designing a functioning home takes many many hours of work.

So far it looks like you want to have a very large (65' x 40') two story gambrel with basement containing the following:

Downstairs: kitchen with double stoves and an island with bar seating, a large pantry, an eating area large enough for 13+, a family room, small laundry room, a school-room, the masterbedroom with a seating area for adult conversation, the masterbath and a small room off the master for the baby room, plus a coffee corner in the kitchen.

Upstairs: two dorms for the kids and two bathrooms (each with two toilets) plus another laundry room. Anything else up there?

Basement: Mudroom, and powderroom. (I'm guessing you're also thinking of a play area for the kids and maybe a guest bedroom?)

I think your idea is probably do-able but here are a few issues I see so far:

1) The open area of your living room/kitchen is so large that joists to span it to support the upstairs rooms are likely to be a bit of a problem. You're probably going to need to put in some support posts somewhere.

2) Unless that thing that wraps around the wood stove is supposed to be the staircase, I don't see where you plan to have the stairs. And if that is supposed to be the staircase, it is NOT properly drawn. You might want to study up on how to use SmartDraw to design a proper staircase. With a 2 or 3 story house, you have to get the staircase right FIRST because everything else on both floors has to fit around the staircase.

3) The only entrances to the masterbedroom appear to require you to walk thru the masterbath to get to the bedroom (and the baby's room). You DON'T want that. If the baby started crying in her crib while you were in the shower or on the "throne", none of your older children would be able to get in to pick her up without disturbing you.

4) I've heated with a wood burning stove in the past (in Maine) and I'm not sure I'd ever want to try to heat a house as large as you're designing with a single wood burning stove! We had one of the best wood stoves available and our home was only about 1500 sq ft and all on one floor. The stove was in the living room basically in the center of the house. Nevertheless, in the winter, the living room had to be kept too warm in order to keep our bedroom and bathroom from being unbearably cold. Central heating ducts carry hot air thru insulated runs to the rooms farther from the heater. I don't know if there is some way of combining a wood burner with ducting to carry the heat. If there is, then maybe a wood burner would work. Also, unless you've heated with wood, make SURE you want to deal with the mess. When wood is brought in from outside and it starts to warm up in the house, all the creepy-crawlies that are hiding under the bark come crawling out in your house!

5) Your family room doesn't appear to be large enough for everyone in the family to sit down unless some people sit on the floor or perch on stools at the bar.

6) I would want a powder room on the main floor for guests and I'd want another one near the schoolroom for the kids to use during lessons.

7) Pretty much the minimum size for a shower of any sort is 32" x 32" and that is a tiny CRAMPED little shower for a single person who isn't a bit overweight. 36"x36" is reasonably comfortable for one person. If by "two shower heads", you mean you want a shower big enough for two people to use together, then, at minimum, it ought to be about 36" x 54".

You didn't show us the upstairs but, based on what you've said, I do have a few questions:

You don't mention the mix of boys and girls you have or their ages. Do you plan for the two "dorm rooms" to be the same size? How many beds in each? Will the children share one big closet or will they each have a closet of their own? Will they study and/or play in those rooms or are the dorms just for sleeping? I.e., does there need to be room for desks, toyboxes, books, etc. Do all the children go to bed at the same time? If not, doesn't it worry you that the older ones with later bedtimes will wake the little ones when they go up? If one of your kids gets sick, how will you isolate them so that all the rest don't come down with the same bug?

BTW, have you asked your children (especially the older ones) how they feel about sharing one big room with all the rest of their same-sex siblings? Children (especially as they reach their teen years) occasionally feel the need for a little privacy as much as adults do, and I'm not sure you've taken that need into account. Since you home-school your youngsters, they can't even get away from one another while at school. If it were me, I would try to design the "dorm" space to at least give each of the older kids each a clearly defined "space" of their own even if they can't each have a separate room.

You mentioned two toilets in each upstairs bathroom. You might also want to consider putting more than one sink in each bathroom as well. Five or six kids all trying to brush teeth and comb hair, etc., around one vanity doesn't sound like fun. I'd also try and fit two showers and a bath-tub (for the little ones) in on each side.

Are you at all concerned with resale value? If you are, you might want to consider designing the upstairs so that it can relatively easily be reconfigured into four or six separate bedrooms.

• lavender_lass
    13 years ago

Your kitchen inspiration picture is beautiful! It's going to be a lovely home :)

My husband is one of nine kids...and they grew up in a relatively small home. The boys had one room, the girls had another...and then there was one room in the basement that the oldest child got to have for their own. The boys and girls' room sounded like something out of the Brady Bunch...there were bunk beds in each room and everyone shared the space...so it can be done. I think thirty or forty years ago, people didn't expect that each child would have their own bedroom, often own bathroom and a separate play room. Kids played outside or maybe had an unfinished basement to run around in...and they managed just fine.

A powder room might be nice or maybe even a second bath, near the school room. Just in case you ever need a second bedroom on the first floor, it would be easy to convert the school room to this purpose.

I think you do need more space for your double head shower. If your stairs are going up around the wood stove, maybe you can incorporate some of the space in the hall behind the stairs...and add this to the master bedroom/bath area. Maybe fit in a door to the master seating area, from the front...so you can access the bedroom, without going through the closet or bathroom...and have easier access to the baby's nursery.

I think the exterior style you've chosen will be very nice...and the porch will be a wonderful bonus. Best of luck with your new home! :)

• cooperville
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you so much for your thoughts and suggestions!!!. I'm going to answer them the way they came :). I am pretty organized, and busy. Right now I have more time to do this sort of thing because I am close to my due date and have a few health issues during pregnancy that cause me to be off my feet quiete a bit.

1) I do know about the beams needed. We will have a steel ibeam going down the center of the house with joists supporting the upstairs. I have the ones for the mb hidden in the bathroom walls and I'm not overly concerned about the other ones. We'll just have them exposed. My husband is a journeyman carpentar so between him and his friends who have also built homes we pretty much know the building requirements.

2) That is supposed to be the staircase, and I know it is not drawn right. I do know that that is where it will go. I did all the drawing on graph paper first so that is where it is open upstairs. I will post a picture of that too.

3)I meant to put the door for the MB and missed it :). It will be in the sitting room.

4)We're not sure how we're going to heat yet. These are definately preliminary plans. I am just a PLANNER so as soon as I knew we were going to build I went at it. We have heated with wood so I am aware of the pros and cons (mess) We will living in MO so heating won't be quiete the issue it is in Maine, or Michigan where we are now.

5) I know there may not be seem to be enough seats for everyone at the same time. Right now many of the kids are small and don't take up as much space and I think I could add more furniture later. We also spend most of our family time all together during meals, why the big table. And chairs are always mooved around to accomadate the goings on.

6)I am aware there is probably a need for a powder room. I think I was just being cheap.

7)Thanks for the dimensions on the shower, I will work on that one.

We have 5 boys and 5 girls with a girl on the way. The illustration of the upstairs will help you understand what we want to accomplish. We have talked with all the children from 16 to 4, the two year old doesn't say much yet :). Our goal is for them all to have their own space yet not be totally seperated. We have some that are very neat and some that are slobs, this will give them their own "room" to be responsible for yet they will have interaction and accountability with each other. We plan to put loft beds in each space with their own desk and dresser and possibly closet on the side of in the back of the loft. There will also be a common area at one end. We plan on being there forever, but know how that goes. Putting up full walls later would be doable. We definately are going with the cubicle idea but I would appreciate some help especially with the bathrooms. I love walk through Jack and Jill type but can't seem to figure it out We don't want more than two bathrooms. The area at the other end from the washer and dryer will be a quiete space for reading with books.

For now the basement will have a large mudroom, some storage area and probably a bedroom and bath at some time. And of course, play. Ping pong, airhockey, toys, rollerblading, bike riding. :)

• momto3kiddos
    13 years ago

It is so much fun for me to think of the needs of a family of 13! It makes my family of 5 seem so small. I love the cubicle/loft bed solution to the bedrooms. Possibly one large closet for each gender would work where you just put clothes away according to the size so you can avoid some of the sorting from one child to the next. I imagine as one is outgrowing something, another is growing into it. :) The way the upstairs is arranged currently, you have lots of extra space in the center. Part of this area would make a great "reading nook". You might also consider a water fountain upstairs and in the basement. One way to free some space on the main floor for a powder room is to put a stackable washer/dryer in the master closet or bath since the children's clothes will be washed elsewhere. I am sure summerfield will be able to work wonders with this! She is so talented!

• aa62579
    13 years ago

The upstairs bathrooms would be my main concern. I would at least want to have a toilet separate from the bath/shower area. Also, I don't see any linen closets and the sinks look too small to have storage underneath. What about the girls - will they wear makeup or fix their hair and need space for that?

• cooperville
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for your suggestions. Stacking the washer and dryer might be better, that would make more room for a powder room. Should I combine them, or have them seperate? Not sure I'd want them in my closet, there will be some other laundry other than just mine and my husbands.

Maybe it would be better to have a central clothing area. At least for 11 years old and under. All older than 11 do their own laundry. They have one night a week and possibly an extra day on the weekends. I am looking for extra help with the bathrooms upstairs, and yes the girls will definately need some extra space for to doing. I was thinking a dresser in their common area with a mirror above it maybe. I think the middle area around the stairs would be great for books and reading.

• aa62579
    13 years ago

Without having the measurements or scale, I just guessed on this and used copy/paste. This takes up a lot more room, but being a female, this would be a design I would appreciate more. I can't understand your stairs so I can't comment as to how you could do a central clothing area.

This would be one area containing a bathtub, shower and linen closet, two water closets/toilet rooms, and a larger area with two sinks and storage underneath (could have a door to it or just be open).

This might not actually work since I didn't have dimensions, but maybe it will give you some different ideas.

{{gwi:1417895}}

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

• scrapbookheaven
    13 years ago

You might also want to think about the space where the kids will hang their wet towels. I am sure that the plan is not to wash after each use. I shudder at the thought of how much that would add to the laundry pile.

Also, plan for storage of TP. It would be easier to plan storage for it upstairs than to hear the constant music of, "I'm out of toilet paper!"

• dekeoboe
    13 years ago

Is there going to be a "quiet" space where one can go to get away for a little bit? If any of your children are introverts they would really appreciate having such a place.

• lavender_lass
    13 years ago

Cooper- I can see the advantages to the loft concept, but it doesn't leave much space for social interaction. Have you ever thought about something like this (maybe along two walls) and a more common space in the middle. It would be nice to have room for a couple of chairs, or maybe a window seat or two.

Maybe the beds in one area, with desks and bookcases (like the picture) and a separate dressing area near the bathroom? It might be easier to have a couple of large closets, with organizers.

Have you ever thought of possibly three bathrooms, one for the girls, one for the boys...and a central bath with extra double sink, toilet and tub/shower? Maybe a boys bathroom, a girls bathroom and a fun 'little kids' bathroom? Possibly, the central (little kids) bath could be accessed from the hall and would be wonderful for getting the little ones ready for bed, especially if they need a little help.

Down the road, you'd have a central hall bath for the front bedrooms (if ever divided) and two private 'suites' with the back bedrooms. This would give you six sinks, three toilets and three tub/showers, which should be plenty...even for a dozen kids :)

{{gwi:1412553}}

{{gwi:1417896}}

{{gwi:1417897}}

• bigkahuna
    13 years ago

You need alot of help on this design. You need to be patient as you cant afford to get it wrong. I dont have time now to look close but many issues to deal with. I had 6 brothers and 2 sisters and so I can relate somewhat. If you could enter the bedrooms from closer to center hall you could make the laundry larger. ( which I think is crucial on both floors) Stair also doesn't seem to work on the plan and dining seems to be in the wrong spot and size is awkward. I would consider bumping it out off the right side and making it more useable and reworking the pantry/ laundry areas to be more efficient. Also gambrel roof may be a bit more costly than a simple yet elegant 2 story home. No need for odd kinda dormers, slanted walls and all the roof. Wasted space in stair hall.

Master bath and closet are not well arranged and shower size is small. Baby space seems wasted as soon as she gets older. Can that space just be in bedroom and allow closet to be wider( 7 ft wide for double loaded) and use the sitting room as baby area for now ?

Also missing a doors to bedroom

• summerfielddesigns
    13 years ago

i will look over your information and work with your plan as soon as i can ..

thank you for your patience :-)

• bevangel_i_h8_h0uzz
    13 years ago

I hope you don't mind but I got to playing around with your plans just because I thought it would be fun to try and design something for a very large family! I was trying to see if I could address your very unique needs while designing something that would be relatively easy to remodel into a more standard plan if you ever need to resell. Thought I'd share what I came up with...

The size is 65' x 40' and it is designed for 2X6 construction except for the walls that divide the dorm rooms into sections. (Rather then trying to put measurements directly on the plan, each grey square in the background grid represents one square foot.)

You'll notice that the downstairs is still very much like your original design tho I enlarged the nursery so that it was big enough for a glider rocker and changing table. (I can't imagine a nursery without those two items!) Plus that made the nursery large enough to be converted to a second master bedroom closet if/when you no longer need a nursery. As long as the room is being used as a nursery, it needs to have a window. Another option would be to swap the nursery and sitting room areas but you seemed to want a separate sitting area in the master bedroom so I kept that.

You'll see that I also rearranged your masterbedroom and bath to make room for that large shower you wanted. I envision either a glass or glass brick wall separating the shower from the garden tub so that you would get plenty of light in the shower. I also put a powderroom off the schoolroom so the kids aren't forced to either use yours or run upstairs during lessons. But, on this plan there is no direct route from master bedroom to school room. That could be good or bad depending on your feelings about direct access between the two.

It just turned out that there was a little notch in the schoolroom next to the masterbath that seemed perfect for a built-in bookcase. And every schoolroom needs a bookcase!

In the kitchen, I had to move your round coffee table. So it is now in the great room and is a little larger and has a set of nice chairs. With only a half-wall surrounding the banquet seating for your main table, if your family got large enough to need a second table, you could seat older children (or adults) at the round table and they would still be able to converse with family at the main table. The rest of the time, the round table can be used flexibly as a game/puzzle table and the extra chairs can be easily moved to the living room conversation area if/when you need more seating there.

The only other thing is that I could not fit in downstairs was your "appliance pantry" but the main pantry seems large enough to just store appliances there. Anyway - here it is:

Although the downstairs is still pretty similar to your original plan, I changed the upstairs significantly. Instead of just two dorm rooms, I made 4 dorms. Two that each have space for four of those loft beds you described and two with space for just two beds each. Still a total of 12 beds. Rearranging like this allowed for a central "common area" for the kids and a greatly enlarged laundry room that would also provide you with plenty of cupboards for storing away extra clothing/linens/etc.

You'll notice that I also GREATLY enlarged the children's bathrooms. Two showers, two toilets, four vanity sinks, and a tub in each bath! (You ought be able to get discount pricing on that many items!) But note that by moving the tub and putting a wall thru the middle, each big bath could could easily be converted into two smaller bathrooms - one serving each dorm room. [OOPS! I just noticed that I accidentally left out the door leading from Dorm 1 to Bath 1 - but you'll figure it out!]

That means that one could take down the walls dividing a dorms into sections for the kids, add in a nice sized closet and, voila, the dorm becomes a very large "suite" with it's own bath. So, if you ever had to sell, this home could easily be converted into a five bedroom home with each bedroom having it's own bath - which ought to be much more marketable than one with two big dorms and two relatively tiny bathrooms upstairs.

Also, it occured to me that, unless you have decided that this baby is the LAST one, you could eventually wind up with a big imbalance of girls to boys. What happens if your next three children are all girls? In that case, you could divide one of the bathrooms and use three dorms for girls and one for boys - tho a couple of the boys would wind up having to share bunkbeds till the oldest went off to college.

And, even if you never have more children, eventually yours will grow up and get married. As that happens, you could convert the smaller dorms into guest rooms for visiting grown children and their spouses.

The area around the stairs is open between the two levels to allow heat from a wood stove to circulate. Again, I'm not at all sure about heating a whole house with a single wood stove but at least this way the stove pipe runs up thru the center of the house and can heat the area closest to it. I tried to make sure the stove pipe would be far enough from the balcony to be out of reach of little fingers.

You'll notice that on the front of the house, the upper and lower windows are alligned and they are arrayed symetrically. Windows on the left and right sides of the house are also symmetrical (although the two ends are different from each other). I could not line up the upper and lower windows in back, or make the windows symmetrical, due to the two narrow windows that you wanted in the kitchen and keeping your kitchen nicely symmetrical like your inspiration picture. I decided the interior of the kitchen was more important than the back elevation. You might also want to put some sliding patio doors into the schoolroom to provide the children with access to the backyard, or to a back deck.

Anyway, while I'm not Summerville, I was curious what you would think so I thought I'd post the design for you.

• brickton
    13 years ago

I'm a huge fan of what bevangel drew up here, and I love this thread in general, so I just thought I'd chime in. What about splitting the two bathrooms upstairs into 4 bathrooms? Remove the tubs that are there, extend the center toilet separation line to split the room in half. Maybe alternate between 2 having tubs and single larger vanities and 2 having double vanities, no tubs, maybe larger showers (by changing the door placement)? That way a bather only knocks out 1/4 of the bathrooms available, not 1/2.

• scrapbookheaven
    13 years ago

One benefit I see to keeping the bathroom arrangement as bevangel posts it is the "I gotta go now" symdrome. That way two toilet cubicles are available instead of just one (especially for the four bunk space.)

• bevangel_i_h8_h0uzz
    13 years ago

Brickton, thank you for your approving comments. Makes me feel good when other people like my designs. :)

I thought about dividing the bathrooms - and in fact suggested that one could do that if the house ever needed to be put up for sale.

But, for OP's needs, I think Scrapbookheaven is right. two toilets for use by 5 or 6 people means that almost no one ever has to wait since it is unusual for three of six people to all need to go at the same time. But a single toilet for use by 4 people often results in someone having to go "right now" while someone else is on the pot.

Further, I figured that since the upstairs bathrooms would only be used by same-sex siblings, a bather would not "knock out" use of the rest of the bathroom. When I was in college, our dorms had similar bathrooms for use by all the girls on our floor. As I recall, there was one tub, two showers, three toilet stalls and six sinks for use by something like 12 or 14 girls. The toilets were in private stalls but the showers, tub, and sinks were out in a single common room. (My husband tells me that the men's dorms had no tub but had urinals instead. Guess the officials figured guys would never want a hot bubble bath but we ladies might. Or maybe they figured the boys would just use a bathtub as a place to iced down their beer. LOL!) Anyhow, we used whichever shower was available, brushed our teeth and did makeup at whichever sink was available, chatted with others who were putting on makeup or rolling their hair and mostly ignored anyone taking a shower or bath and totally ignored anyone in the toilet regardless of what sounds might be emitted.

I figured if a dozen unrelated college-age girls could manage, a half-a-dozen sisters could. Besides, I suspect the tub would mostly be used for baths by the youngest kids anyway and they don't tend to be too big on privacy issues with their older siblings.

• lavender_lass
    13 years ago

Bevangel- I think there are a lot of good things about your plan, but it still seems pretty cramped. When you add in all the people, it will be pretty crowded, especially in the kids' rooms.

Are you sure it wouldn't be better to have some bunk beds for the younger kids...and maybe open up the space a little more? I can understand that the older kids might want a little privacy, but I think the little ones might feel too closed off.

Maybe the bathrooms could be a little less dorm style? Possibly a shower curtain around the tub at least (as in the picture above) to offer a little privacy?

I also don't see any closets...and I'm still thinking a dressing area, with maybe a vanity space (especially for the girls) might be nice. Sharing a closet between two or three people, is not impossible, with proper organization. The hanging areas can be divided by basket/shelf areas...allowing each child their own area, but still consolidate some space.

I do like the idea of two beds in one room and four in the other...allowing the older kids a little privacy. However, the laundry area takes up a lot of space...maybe two washers and two dryers, with less counterspace? Since there's not much room for seating or bookshelves/play area, it would be nice to have larger common rooms, where the little ones can have some play space.

I understand this is supposed to be more efficient, but it look a little too military style to me (and I grew up in the Air Force) instead of a fun theme room for the kids. It might be nice to have the older kids design their own spaces...but the little ones could have a princess or fairy style for the girls and sports theme or jungle for the boys. Yes, I realize I sound incredibly sexist...it could be less stereotyped, but this is usually popular with younger kids :)

Remember, they're not college age...they're little kids, who will probably see their friends' rooms and want a little something special, too. Maybe some bean bag chairs, a window seat, a comfy chair or two...with the beds more around the edges of the rooms...and I still think two bunk beds in each of the four bed rooms would give them a lot more play space.

Also, is there any way the school room could fit in the basement? Lots of white walls, primary colors and recessed lighting would make for a cheerful space...and it would give a lot more room upstairs, for seating in the living area, more dining space (maybe by the window) and more bathroom/laundry/storage space.

• cooperville
    Original Author
    13 years ago

This is so fun!! Thank you bevangel, I will look at the downstairs more. I definately like the half bath and I think I like the nursery better. I did like being able to access the laundry area more directly from the Master Bedroom. With there being a laundry room upstairs, most of the laundry downstairs will be ours and the baby's. Still somethings to consider. Funny, the table that you put in the family room is in our family room now. : ) We consider it our card/game table because our eating table is soooo big.

I'm not sure about the upstairs. It sure seems like a lot of bathroom. I don't think we need that many showers or sinks. Maybe the counter space. I do like the laundry better. I had a few ideas too, I will try to post my changes. As far as the dorms go, that was my husbands idea and I'm not possitive buy I think he was pretty stuck on that. I'll pass it by him when he gets back in town, maybe he'll like the changes.

• summerfielddesigns
    13 years ago

here's what i've come up with for you ...

if your property is suitable to turn the house entrance so the front side can be 40-feet , instead of 60 , you will be able to get a better overall plan ...

this allows all the upstairs bedrooms to be the same size , and to have better exposure in each ...

the foyer can be left off , if necessary...

anyway ... just take a look , and let me know your thoughts :-)

• lavender_lass
    13 years ago

Summerfield- This is a beautiful plan! I hope Cooper likes it, because I think you've done a marvelous job...especially with the kids' rooms.

The downstairs living area is so inviting, the master suite and school room work so well in the space, but I think my favorite detail is the small coffee table next to that charming little reading nook. The kids are going to love those little seats! Nice plan :)

• coloradomomof5
    13 years ago

WOW, all your designs are amazing! Cooper has many more choices now. This is what I love about GW-everyone working together and sharing ideas.

• cooperville
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you so much Summerfield. I'm afraid that turning the direction of the house won't work though. The property that we are purchasing is very wooded and there is already a clearing that won't accomadate the house this way. : ( We are wanting to be able to do this as inexepensively as possible and so are looking for a little more simplicity. Although this plan is beautiful, I'm afraid it's more elaborate than we are : ). Also, upstairs, my husband is set on the large dorm rooms per gender. If you have any other suggestions that may go with what we're looking for please let me know.

• summerfielddesigns
    13 years ago

you're very welcome ...

i tried to give you everything that you had indicated that you needed , or desired ... i am disappointed that you don't feel the plan is suitable ...

do you have a photograph of your building site ? this plan is versatile , and the "bays" of the rooms can be relocated to suit your site ... if i remove the foyer , the plan is still your original 40' x 60' ... the living room window bump-out and the master bath bump-out are only 18" deep , but these can be removed , as well , and the plan will still work ncely ...

in the upstairs , i strove to allow for each child to have what you had indicated ... the boy's rooms and the girl's rooms are on seperate ends of the upstairs ... these can certainly be reconfigured to have openings between them to give a dorm-like configuration ... the additional girl's bath does not have to be built at first , but is in the plan just in case :-)

the "bones" of this plan are simple , straight-forward construction ... with your husband's and his friends' skills ... it would be rather uncomplicated to construct ...

anyway ... if you can post a photo of the building site ... i'll see what i can do for you ... hope your family are well , and mom-to-be is managing some nice rest :-)

• bigkahuna
    13 years ago

The summerfield plan works quite well. There is no reason you may not be able to use the plan turned on the lot. The driveway could enter off the corner and have a walkway to the entry. I hate to say it so boldly but your original plan is a mess. Many mistakes in planning and layout. It feels a bit like a cattle barn as far as the kids go.All herded into two rooms no closet plans. Kids need some sense of personal space. I had 9 kids in my family and I can relate to your issues but todays kids are so different as are our lifestyles. This reviszed plan gives you a ton of advantages you plan doesnt give or even consider.

The living space is too small, pantry is inefficient. Baths and laundry are not well planned.The dinning space is crowded and forced into a corner not conducive to large families getting up and down from the table. The stairs are too narrow in places and probably wont work as drawn . Hallways space is wasted and master bedroom suite is full of design concerns. One thing that happens with owner /designers is that they get tunnel vision and while they say they want help they more often want validation of their plans with some tweaks when it really needs alot of rework. A home is the largest investment yuou will ever make in your life. You have a huge family and the design is especially important with that many people interacting. You need s well thought out design. The plan is simple and the second floor extra few walls are a small extra INVESTMENT and as stated will add little extra cost to the project but will add much needed sense of personal space and practical space layout for the kids.

At the very least you may rotate the plan the other direction, bring in the entry where the reading nook is and possibly switch the master suite with the school/study room and even mirror the plan if the room oriention is important.

• bigkahuna
    13 years ago

Also could you not clear a few more tress and open up some yard and give the house more air and light ?

• lavender_lass
    13 years ago

Cooper- Are all the children's beds, going to be loft beds? Even the older children? I can see the appeal of separate areas, but maybe a loft concept for the younger kids and a more 'grown up' area for the older ones? Just a thought :)

I like your downstairs area, in the original plan, especially the kitchen, coffee area, and family room. The dining area looks a little crowded...have you ever thought of banquettes on two sides and maybe chairs or benches, on the others? There are some excellent outdoor fabrics, being used now for upholstery. They wear extemely well and can even have stuff spilled on them. However, they area softer and more inviting.

The biggest problem seems to be the pantry (wasted outside wall) laundry area and need for a powder room. The school room could be a little more defined, too. What if you slid the stairs down towards the front of the house, by the front door, and flipped the master sitting area and bath? Then you could access the master bedroom, through the seating area, but not be right by the door.

This would also give you more room for you dining area...and maybe pull it forward a few feet, making more space for the pantry and the powder room. The schoolroom could still have the laundry, but it could be behind louvered doors and back up to the pantry. Still have the door to the outside, for recess! :)

• lyfia
    13 years ago

Summerfields plan is awesome and could easily be updated to meet your needs.

Just change the entry to the reading nook downstairs, re-arrange the upstairs room closets - great to have closets and you can open the walls up there for a more dorm style.

I think for re-sale being able to make separate rooms would be ideal. I know you said you won't be moving, but you are moving now and you never know what will happen.

For the downstairs there appears to be so much more room in the main living areas and the open dining as compared to the original will be so much more flexible and you could easily fit more people in that dining space and nobody has to squeeze by others to get to their seat. It also allows for expansion if ever needed.

Have you considered what you'll do when you have kids grown up and married and grandchildren coming home to visit? I think summerfields floorplan makes the house so much more flexible and not just stuck at one point in time of your life. In that plan you can have a separate bedroom for guests if needed (future in-laws/grandchildren visiting), but still have room for all the kids now and a little room to grow in case you have more.

Having 2 separate girls baths is also a good thing - the older girls can be responsible for keeping theirs clean and stuff not needed for the younger girls are separate.

Having 3 separate baths also provides some guest possibilities, if you have somebody visiting - girls still got one to use and boys another and you could have guests use another.

Summerfield has done a great job of placing most plumbing areas near each other too so it will cost less to run the plumbing.

2 baths next to each other. Laundry/Bath by each other and above the kitchen/powder room part.

About the only thing not really meeting what you said you needed is the seeing the tub from the bed. You can see it, but not directly I guess. Although I don't really understand the need for this one. I personally would rather not see into my bathroom at all from the bed, tub or anything. Not something I consider a nice view, but I'm sure you have your reasons so wanted to point that one out.

• aa62579
    13 years ago

Like lyfia said, you could swap out the closets and make the rooms more dorm style for now, but pretty easy for someone later to close in a few walls and add a doorway if needed.

Copy and Paste Example:
    {{gwi:1417902}}

As the children grow up and move out or you just find yourself with an age gap, you could even just enclose one part.

See upper right bedroom for example of an easy remodel.
    {{gwi:1417903}}

• ncamy
    13 years ago

Cooperfield: What is it about Summerfield's plan you do not think is simple? IMO it's about as simple as they get. All the walls are square and line up with each other. It would be cheap to build. Nothing fancy, just lots of open spaces. Maybe if you clarified exactly what it is that you think is too fancy, someone can modify Summerfield's plan to better suit you. Also tell us more about where you live now. Do the kids all share rooms? How many bathrooms do you currently have, etc?

• lavender_lass
    13 years ago

Cooper- Maybe it would be easier to focus on the downstairs, for now. As I said earlier, there were a lot of positives in your original plan. I just think you need to make a few changes and organize the entry, stairway, laundry/pantry and add your half bath. Also, maybe make a few changes in the master bedroom suite to make it a little easier to access and use.

I can understand your husband being 'set' on the dorm style rooms for the children. It's easy to get an idea in your head and not want to change it...but, maybe have him sketch out exactly how he plans to fit in the bed, dresser, closet, desk or anything else he wants in each dorm area. As you do this, it's a good time to see if the closets will fit in the dorm area. Will it just be a dresser? Will the desk fit? Is there room for a chair at the desk? What fits and what will not...will give you a better idea, of what will have to be included in a more common area.

If you were able to move the stairs, towards the front of the house (to make more room for the dining area and pantry) that would give you more 'central hall' space upstairs. That might be a good place for bookcases or closet storage. So, I'd concentrate on the first floor and get that exactly as you like it...the upstairs will fall into place, easily enough :)