Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
daisyblue_gw

Floor Drain

daisyblue
11 years ago

We are building a one story home on a slab foundation with finished concrete floors. Would it be prudent to put a floor drain in the laundry room which also houses the water heater? With concrete floors, I'm wondering if this may be excessive? Thanks for any thoughts!

Comments (11)

• kirkhall
    11 years ago

Do you think you will maintain your water heater?

I probably would.

• renovator8
    11 years ago

If the floor drain is connected to the waste system you will need to occasionally add water to fill the trap to prevent sewer gas from entering the house.

• brickeyee
    11 years ago

"If the floor drain is connected to the waste system you will need to occasionally add water to fill the trap to prevent sewer gas from entering the house."

Or install a trap primer hooked to a commonly used fixture.

A washing machine would likely be used enough.

• daisyblue
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you, Kirkhall, Renovator8, and Brickeyee!

If we opt to do the floor drain, our builder has given two options: connect the drain to the septic system or connect it to its own dry well. Is one of these preferable over the other?

Is there any justification to not having a floor drain at all?

• kirkhall
    11 years ago

How dry is your house soil? In my area, a "dry well" would quickly become a sump pump area... kwim?

The dry well would not require a primer or trap. And, so you wouldn't need to "feed the trap".

Hooking it up to the septic system would probably be my preference, but read above for why--our soil is fairly saturated here...

• rwiegand
    11 years ago

check your local code, floor drains aren't permitted in some jurisdictions

• daisyblue
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you for the responses! I think we are leaning towards not having the floor drain...

• brickeyee
    11 years ago

How far do you want the water to run when the heater leaks?

• mudflap
    11 years ago

Regarding the floor drain, I would most definitely put one in between the furnace and water heater.

(Please no responses to the following. I do not want to highjack this thread). Create another thread asking everyone's opinion on your house plan design. I see some good design and some not so good.

• dakota01
    11 years ago

You absolutely should put one in! I had my hot water tank overflow and thank goodness I had the drain. I have also left water running
    In my laundry tub and it overflowed luckily I was able to push the majority of the water down the drain. My water softener is also in the laundry room and when it needs cleaned out the drain will save time & energy.

• daisyblue
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Okay, reconsidering again!! Thanks for your insight Brickeye, Mudflap, and Jeannie01.

Mudflap ~ I linked the thread below where I did ask for opinions about the design. I welcome any thoughts you are willing to share ~ thanks in advance!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Before we finalize...