Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marshallv_gw

Design issue - door casing

marshallv
12 years ago

Hi all,

quick question.

Is it unusual, or unacceptable, to have door casing tucked into a corner of a room where the base board will have to terminate into the face of the casing? Usually i've seen the base run to the wall with, at worst, a short, return into the side of the casing. I've never seen it end in the face of the casing.

We've got a couple of small bathrooms where the door is so far into the corner that the casing is butted up to the perpendicular wall and i'm trying to figure the best way to finish out the trim.

Thanks

Marshall

Comments (3)

• mydreamhome
    12 years ago

Hi MarshallV--If it's behind the bathroom door that you're talking about, I don't think I'd worry too much about it. We have a similar situation in our family room at the doorway to the kids' hall. We ended up doing a wider, more elaborate casing there than was originally planned and the space got very tight. We put a plinth at the bottom of the casing that is as high as the baseboard. The side of the plinth and the baseboard come together/die into one another at the corner. The end result is that it blends almost seamlessly. My camera is on the fritz, but if you click on the photos below and zoom in on photobucket, you should be able to see what I'm talking about--it's right hand casing of the doorway just right of center in the 1st photo & in the right hand corner of the 2nd photo. This may be an easy fix for you. Hope this helps!

Finished Product:

During construction to better show the plinth & baseboard:

• marshallv
    Original Author
    12 years ago

MyDreamHome -
    Thanks, that makes me feel better. The profile of the casing is a colonial type that has a "flat" on the face that is wide enough to "take" the base board so i don't think we'll even need to do plinths (if that makes any sense at all).
    Seeing it in your house - it looks fine so i'll quit worrying about it.

BTW, what is your wall / trim color combo? it's very nice and the look we are shooting for.

• mydreamhome
    12 years ago

Hi MarshallV--Our wall color is SW 'Simply Beige' & the trim is SW 'Creamy'. We used Creamy on all trim & interior doors. Two things to note-- 1)Simply Beige looks slightly pink for a few days after it is applied--not to worry, it fades! 2)Creamy looks more "creamy" against blues. It's really like a soft white. In our house, you really can't tell it isn't white-white until you go into our boys' rooms which are painted light blue.

Here are pics of 2 different tight corners & how the baseboard was handled--the first one is the closeup of the corner in the family room, the 2nd is at the front hall closet where things again got tight due to wider trim--the plinth wasn't required, but it needed to coordinate as that's how all the doorways are dressed in the foyer, dining & family rooms.

Can't wait to see your pics!