Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
constantinople_gw

Door Drama

constantinople
13 years ago

It seemed inevitable that something would go wrong during our build. I have seen lots of unpleasant stories about issues of workmanship, and sincerely hoped I would avoid it, but I guess I get to join the club.

We ordered iron forged doors (1 double panel / 1 single) for our home and after some delays, they arrived on Friday.

The doors are pre-hung, but disassembled for shipping. There is a frame, the door and a glass panel that hangs on the door.

For more than 4 hours the installers tried to hang the double panel door and had a very difficult time getting the doors to hang properly. They pushed, prodded, shimmed, used a grinder, hammered, but could not get the doors to hang plumb.

In addition to being unable to hang the doors, they appeared to be pretty badly scuffed up. There were multiple places that showed scuffing and scratching to the bare medal. In addition, the seam around the inner frame of the door (not sure what the correct terminology is), had all kinds of small breaches with a white caulk-like substance showing. When touched it was soft and wet.

During the install, I watched patiently with the hopes that the door would eventually hang properly, but it really did not. The alignment was improved, but it wasn't correct, and hardly acceptable (especially considering their cost). I was so annoyed and stressed out by the whole process, I didn't event notice until later that the handles were not those that I ordered -- not even close.

Anyways, when they moved on two the second one (after working on the first one for 4 hours), I thought it would be a piece of cake since it was prehung and already in the frame -- no luck. They still could not get the thing to hang and close properly. In fact it doesn't close -- it is completely misaligned. But, there is no way to close it anyways, since they didn't bring a handle / lockset for it! When I asked why not, they sheepishly said that there was only one lockset with my name on it. Oh brother.

Take a look at some of the pictures -- they aren't the best.

To make matters worse, the installer never called to ask for help or express concern that perhaps there was a manufacturing problem. In fact his phone rang over and over and he never picked up. Apparently his boss was trying to get him on the phone to ask why the install was taking so long.

When I called I expressed my total dissatisfaction with what happened. He said he would call me later that evening, but never did.

When I called today, he would not take my call. Finally I got a text message from him promising to call me on Monday and that he wanted to resolve the problem because he was losing money on the deal!

Double Panel Door:

Weather stripping sticking out in the next two photos:

Weeping seams. The second one is blurry, but it shows the top of the arch with lots of weeping areas.

Scratching / Scuffing to the metal:

Comments (15)

• motherof3sons
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Was the damage done by the installer, transit or manufacturer? The doors are gorgeous. I hope you are able to get the situation resolved.

• tinycastle
    13 years ago

Man, that sucks. I'm not familiar with iron doors, but the seam welding looks like a NOMMA #4. An experienced welder or reputable company wouldn't settle for anything less than NOMMA #2 or 3 (1 is the industry best). That seems extremely odd that something is oozing from the door.

If an experienced installer cannot correct the fit, I would demand a replacement. If they were my doors, i'd probably demand a replacement or a refund. No one should spend that kind of money and get such an inferior product. Have they ever heard of quality control?!?

Good luck, keep us posted.

• constantinople
    Original Author
    13 years ago

motherof3sons,

I think most of the damage was done by the installers, which was done by the manufacturer's own people.

C.

• constantinople
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Tinycastle,

If I could get a refund, I would...however, I doubt that's possible.

C.

• tinycastle
    13 years ago

Have you asked about a replacement? From my limited knowledge about proper fitting of iron doors, there is some forgiveness with the hinges, but if the door is not 'plumb' I don't think that can be fixed by adjustable hinges...for instance, if the radius of the door is not the same radius as the jamb, or if the door appears slightly bent. I think with a wood door, carpenters can manipulate or shave minute increments if needed. Fat chance doing that with an iron door. The fit needs to be precise, which is another reason they are considerably more (on average) than a wood door of the same size.

• constantinople
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well, the company has responded and will do the following:

1. Doors will be removed immediately (tomorrow) and returned to manufacturer.
    2. Doors will be hung at the manufacturer to determine the problem.
    3. Doors will be repaired and reinstalled.

Not sure if I should be asking for more -- I did ask that a different installer be sent.

C.

• xc60
    13 years ago

That is good news, fingers crossed it all works out soon. Those are gorgeous doors, love them.

• constantinople
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Just to followup...the manufacturer said someone would be on site on Tuesday to remove the doors. Not surprisingly, no one showed up and no one called. The builder sent an email this morning and received a reply back that no one could come till Thursday.

I am really inking that I should let them take the doors out and after they are on their way back, to request a refund and wash my hands of these guys.

C.

• constantinople
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Door update...they are finally gone. The same installer removed them yesterday.

I am thinking of cutting my losses and asking for a refund to avoid any further dealings with these people. It's a huge inconvenience because I will need to find a new supplier quickly, but I do no think this company can be trusted.

Interestingly, when these events began unfolding, I googled around and discovered that the owner from whom I ordered the doors originally, seems to have sold the company around the first of the year. I was never told anything about this, but there is a new website, new contact info, and the secretary of state where they are located shows the original company as having a revoked (probably means expired?) business license. A new company is listed with a variatioon on the name as of 1/2011. The original owner who I had assumed was still the owner does not return phone calls or emails. The new owner (or his manager - not sure of the relationship) appears to be incompetent.

I never imagined I would be drawn into such strangeness by ordering a couple of doors!

C.

• tinycastle
    13 years ago

Look into Southern Front. Not sure about lead time/price, but I know they are a reputable company AND they do sell iron doors. They wouldn't be able to install though.

• constantinople
    Original Author
    13 years ago

An update for anyone who might be interested...

Imperial Doors would not refund our money, insisting that we allow them to fix the doors -- of course we refused.

They did finally admit that the doors came from a 'new supplier' whom they had never used before (US sourced, rather than from Mexico). They also admitted that they installed the wrong hinges.

We are currently disputing the charge with the CC company.

• mydreamhome
    13 years ago

Thank heavens you used plastic to pay for the doors! You may actually have a shot at recovering your $$$!! Good luck to you & keep us posted.

• constantinople
    Original Author
    12 years ago

On May 30 we learned that we won our dispute against Imperial Doors for damaged / non-working iron doors. Their behavior during the dispute process mirrored the botched installation, so it took the entire 60 days. Fortunately we had photos, videos, and independent testimony from a local millwork for our defense and CC sided with us.

I would strongly recommend against dealing with Imperial Doors.

Here are some pictures of the installation and replacement doors from San Miguel Ironworks. The installers were absolute pros. The door operation is perfect -- no comparison with the other fiasco.

• mydreamhome
    12 years ago

Congratulations, Constantinople!! Those doors are absolutely beautiful--and they fit so nicely too!!!! :-)

• chicagoans
    12 years ago

Thank you for posting the outcome. So nice to hear a success story after all the trouble you had to go through. The doors are absolutely gorgeous.