Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karen15_gw

Mold during build. ..anyone else?

Karen15
10 years ago

We visited our house Sunday and found mold all over the sub floor. The builder said its common and has a spray to fix. Is this common or should we get a mold inspection after he sprays to make sure it's safe?

Comments (3)

• jdez
    10 years ago

I think it was Hoosierbred that had mold in their crawl space. Check with them and see what they learned. I hope I didn't name the wrong person.

• hoosierbred
    10 years ago

Yes, JDez, we did have the mold problem in our crawl space.

Karen15, I'm cutting and pasting what I posted in the December build thread:

DH spent a lot of time researching about white mold in our crawl space. He found out it was common in new construction. But, we wanted to get rid of it! We didn't want to go any further in the construction with it and risk getting sick later on. Here's what it looked like looking up toward the subfloor from the crawl space.

Isn't it yucky? Anyway, we've been having a recent college grad installing the vapor barrier in the crawl. He is almost done. DH had him try applying Borax on the mold. But, it wasn't sticking to it and very messy. So, DH found out about a Concrobium Mold Control Fogger and about its good reviews of using it. So, he rented one from Home Depot. Four gallons of the Mold Control liquid and a couple hours later, it was done. Supposedly when the mist dries it crushes the mold and destroys it, then it leaves a permanent barrier to prevent any future mold. He was glad to have that done.

Now - fast forward to last weekend. DH crawled into the crawl space to see what it looked like. All of the mold was gone! He said he would check again before we move into the house (in a couple months) to make sure the mold has not returned.

DH said the first thing you (or builder) should do is to find out where the moisture is coming from into the crawl space. For us it turned out to be a pipe for the septic where it came through the foundation wall. It was not sealed properly. So they fixed that. Then, he said to get plastic down over the rock in the crawl as soon as you can. DH even ran a fan in the crawl for several days to dry it out.

We would highly recommend the the Concrobium Mold Fogger and liquid. We rented the machine from Home Depot and bought the liquid. It did the trick for us!

Here is a link that might be useful: Concrobium Mold Control Fogger

• Karen15
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ours is iny black dots all over the sub floor in basement.im thinking we should bring in mold inspector