Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rroo

Garage sizes?

rroo
13 years ago

What size is a good size for a 2 car garage (currently 2 SUV's but maybe switching to a pickup soon)? We will also use this for lots of storage (deep freeze, garbage, recycling, tools, workbench, sports equipment, lawn mowers, etc.). Is 24x21 a good size for such? What size do you have, what do you store and are you happy with the size? Thanks for all help!

Comments (25)

• worthy
    13 years ago

The only real answer is what suits you.

Nevertheless, I'd say the width is not bad. But since full-size crewcabs are 21 feet long, better to stretch that garage. And don't forget, an eight-foot high door and fully alarmed.

• booboo60
    13 years ago

I know our "standard" 2 car garage is not big enough for our car AND our pick up truck! We park our car in there along with a 4-wheeler. We have some things stored around the sides and there is a small "bump out" in the back but that has a workbench! Not very big :(

• tinycastles
    13 years ago

Ours is 36'x26'. Three 10' wide x 8' tall doors. Honestly, for a large pickup 26' doesn't even seem deep enough!!! Don't forget to make it even deeper if you are doing a stairwell.

• bdpeck-charlotte
    13 years ago

Heed Tinycastles warning on stairs, they can render a stall useless.

We have a 25x25 two car with two doors and a third bay seperated that's 11x21. All with 9' wide doors.

With SUVs or pickups, I think 25 is a minimum for depth. We used the 25' width to keep the stairs out of a bay and have a place for a sink. Because we don't plan on having big SUVs (just small ones or a minivan) we put cabinets and shelve at the back of the garage.

• dixiedoodle
    13 years ago

To the OP-I don't even think you're close with that size. Our garage is 26' X 26' and we don't use it for half of what you want to use yours for, and really, it's a 1 car garage with my husband's full-size truck in there. With all you plan on using your garage for (especially the lawn mowers and storage), you really need at least one of the small additional bays. You will not be able to park 2 cars, have storage, shelving, and lawn machinery in a 24' X 21' garage and have it be functional.

• joyce_6333
    13 years ago

We've lived in many different homes during out 45 year of marriage, and no matter how big the garage, DH always says it's not big enough. Hmmm...anyone else ever hear that?

The garage in our new home will be 40'X 29' with 12' ceilings. There will be a loft area for storage, a utility area with sink, and a stairway down to the basement. We haven't even moved in yet, and he's already talking about building a small barn/shed for "stuff".

• sue36
    13 years ago

Ours is 26x26 but we only put my vehicle (an Outback) in there. DH has a pickup and doesn't care about putting it in the garage, or doesn't care enough to get rid of some of the crap. We keep 2 lawnmovers, a deep freeze, a snowblower, lots of yard tools and a ton of boxes leftover from the move (which was 5 years ago) in there. If it was organized we could fit 2 vehicles with the other necessary stuff, but it would be tight. I didn't want a 3 car garage (many reasons, not important for this thread). We will likely add a barn later because DH also has a boat and a trailer.

• bigkahuna
    13 years ago

24 ft is minimum depth I would consider anything more is great. Length is up to you but you should have a minimum of 3 ft on either side of the door(s). Anything more is a bonus. I would also use 9 ft wide single doors or 18 ft wide double doors with trucks/ SUVs and 8 ft tall

• sanctuarygirl
    13 years ago

I would say 24 X 24 at a minimum for trucks/SUVs to be able to have space to get around it and have room to open doors and unload the trunk with the garage door closed. Another 2 or 3 feet on each side would be great (an extra bay? whoopee! lol), but anything less and I think you will be sorry!

• worthy
    13 years ago

DH always says it's not big enough. Hmmm...anyone else ever hear that?

I've lived it for years!

We average 5-6 vehicles for two drivers, plus a trailer and lots of homebuilding tools and supplies. When I was running rental homes, our two and three car garages looked like a used appliance store. Fortunately we're not stuck in some homeowner association Hell that doesn't allow vehicles on the driveway at night.

Ralph Lauren's Garage Photo: Vanity Fair Jan. 2011

• joyce_6333
    13 years ago

OMG, I see I have two postings. I didn't think the first one posted, everything froze up, and then the window closed. I didn't think it "took". Sorry about that.

Worthy, I've lived in those "covenant" communites, and although I was often grateful for the rules, in some instances it can be a PITA.

• chad_m
    13 years ago

If you are considering a two car I would go 24x24 minimum. I have an oversized three car that is 40ft. wide by 24ft. deep on the two car section and bumps out to 28ft. deep on the 16ft. wide third bay. I can park my extended cab GMC full size truck on the 24ft. deep side with enough room for a small chest freezer in front of it. It's tight but it fits. Definately don't go less than 24ft. deep. I am already planning to add another detached garage ASAP.

• jeffm1971
    11 years ago

A 6m x 6m x 3m can perfectly fit a double garage for two cars.
    Here is one example with several sizes, it also has a floor plan so you can have a better idea. Hope it helps.

http://www.pebprojects.com/building-types/item/double-garage-gable-doors

Here is a link that might be useful: Garage types information

• Lori Wagerman_Walker
    11 years ago

I'm with chad_m. My GMC crewcab short bed, won't even come close to fitting in our current garage. DH drives a Dodge stretch cab dually. We are bound & determined to be able to park our trucks inside on our new house.
    The garage on our future plan is 26 x 38, and we're thinking of making it a little bigger. We have the shop at the other farm, and the barn for other random crap, but after fighting a standard 2 car for 12 years...
    I think the garage might be bigger than the house by the time we're done! lol

• dbrad_gw
    11 years ago

Wow these are some large garages. We are planning to build a 2-car 21x25 garage, and compared to our current home that seems big to us!

This post was edited by dBrad on Thu, Jan 10, 13 at 14:54

• annexer
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Here's a floor plan that my wife and I recently constructed. It works for us and allows us several sq. footage of storage. Plus you could always build a second story if you require more as others have suggested.

If you have time, please take a look at our "Dream Home" plan as we would love to get your opinion on our issue. Please Help Design Our "Dream Home - http://ths.gardenweb.com/discussions/2919228/please-help-design-our-dream-home

• clairegarbera
    8 years ago

This looks awesome, but how many vehicles (what sizes) will it actually hold?

• Renee Texas
    8 years ago

Wow...ours is 24 x26, fits an Odyssy, sienna, and a riding lawnmower...plus assorted kids stuff/tools/sink. We keep it well-organized.

• mojomom
    8 years ago

Ours is currently 24' x 24' and while it was tight,, we had very little trouble back when DH drove a pick-up with an extended cab and I had a Tahoe. During that time we also stored 4-5 kayaks with assorted gear, plus a couple of shelving units tools etc. and two large trash cans. Wasn't ideal but it worked. Now with smaller cars --two mid sized SUVs -- we have loads of room -- even still with a couple of kayaks, a raft frame, 2 bikes etc. and the rest. But it stays relatively well organized with lots of hooks and hangers. In our new build our garage will be approx 25' wide x 24' deep that's just the way it worked out,. It's a duplex and on DD and SIL's side, we had the ability to make one side of their 24' wide garage 28' deep for his crew cab pick-up.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    8 years ago

Park and place everything you want in your garage on your front lawn the way you want it arranged in the new garage. Then measure the space it takes up, and there you have it. Make sure to allow for sufficient circulation space.

• chisue
    8 years ago

I'm with Mark. Set out all you want IN the garage. Open the vehicle doors. Measure.

First World problems, eh? Remember the TIME (maybe another) publication with photos of families all over the world with all their possessions spread out in front of their homes? You could count the possessions of some families on your two hands.

• Andy
    8 years ago

This doesn't directly answer the question of how you can store all that stuff in a 2 car garage, but I had a similar quandary about not being sure how to store all that stuff in a 3 car garage. So, I wanted to share the design for the garage on our house, as I believe it's a great solution for people who need a place for an atv, tractor, deep freezer, tools, etc, while still parking their cars easily. (I take no credit, this was our designer's idea).

I call it a "3 and a half car garage", because the angle separating the two doors creates a space not easily occupied by a vehicle, but is perfect for all of the accessory vehicles. It also opens up some wall space that isn't at the end of a parking space, for oversized things like the freezer.

• artemis_ma
    7 years ago

Keep in mind you may not know the size of any future car you buy.

I only need a one car garage, and planned the length based on my Subaru Forester (which i planned to replace with another Forester when the time came).

The time came -- the deal for a "pre-owned", and longer, Santa Fe was too good to pass up. I wasn't thinking about my garage build (the house is still under construction) when I bought it.

There's still room for it -- just room for less storage!

• russbaker8
    7 years ago

Our current house is too small. 21x22?? Two cars are tight and we are always squeezing past them and banging doors. New house will have 30x40 2 car garage with 12' wide doors and another 1 car 22x22 with a 12' wide door. Yea, I want more garage space.

Generally, the minimum recommended size of a 2-car garage is approximately 20 ft. wide and 20 ft. deep. When considering your 2-car garage design wishes, go bigger when possible. 22 X 22 is comfortable and 24 X 24 gives you some breathing space.