Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jwillis96

Please review floor plan

jwillis96
12 years ago

I would like to hear any and all comments/advice....especially the bad.

Thanks in advance.

Comments (13)

• jwillis96
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Picasa Web doesnt work...her is an image

• kelhuck
    12 years ago

Sorry, jwillis, can't see your image. Try uploading the pic to Photobucket and then posting the HTML code here.

• jwillis96
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sorry again, here is a better image

• kirkhall
    12 years ago

What is the plan for in the big triangle between the island, foyer, and great room? As is, it feels like wasted space.

It appears that guests would have to go through your mudroom to use a bathroom (or use the master bath). That would not fly in my house. Perhaps our are tidier than I?

What kind of climate are you building in? You have no foyer/entry closet for jackets. I realize you have a large mudroom space, but that isn't convenient for guests.

Do you plan to separate your master toilet from the rest of the room, or have it all open. (One of the difficulties of not putting in door swings on your early plans is you can't get comments about them).

My other comment is when you get closer with your kitchen arrangement, take it over to the kitchens forum. I think you may have some constraints with this layout, but it is difficult to say since I cannot see placement of the cooktop, fridge, oven, etc.

Overall, I think it looks like a good start.

• kelhuck
    12 years ago

I like it!

Don't have any criticism. My only advice would be to move the door into the master bath up North (?) a little more so that the door won't swing in to the person standing at the mirror, which will also allow you to put a piece of furniture on the South (?) master wall.

I would also like to add a couple of feet to the length of the master room, but that's just my personal preference.

• jwillis96
    Original Author
    12 years ago

kirkhall and Kelhuck...
    Great Ideas I appreciate them all!!
    Any Ideas on the wasted triangle space...

• mydreamhome
    12 years ago

I like your plan alot too. There is very little I would change, but here is what I have:

-I would extend the master bedroom at least a foot in width (15'vs 14'), 2' would be even better.

-Where do you plan to place the bed in the master bedroom? If you plan on the wall that borders the bath, then I would extend the bedroom out toward the back of the house to accomodate a queen or king bed on that wall + a nightstand next to it on the bath entry side (usually about 2' wide) + preferably 3' clearance on the side of the bed where all the windows are.

-The master bath dimensions don't seem to match up with what is drawn. I would ensure that you have at least 3' clearance in front of the vanities and the same for the hallways and doorways into the shower & toilet area. The 3' clearance allows for aging in the home or in the case you should need a walker/wheelchair/crutches.

-For those same clearance reasons, I would slide the doorway to the shower down closer to the vanity--this will make turning that corner a little easier.

-I would be very tempted to at least put in a wall between the vanity & toilet that would extend 6" past the vanity for privacy reasons if not completely enclose the space with a door.

-Your powder room looks almost square--could you spin it around 90 degrees so the door opens into the hallway vs the mudroom? I would put in a dramatic sink/mirror combination to dress up the space as then it would likely be able to be seen from the common areas of the house. I would also spin the toilet around so the length of the toilet runs parallel to the wall the door is on to better hide it from view. You could then put in a door to the mudroom hall blocking it from guests' view.

-Since you asked--The nook area as drawn seems a little narrow to me at 10' unless you're planning to use a small table and chairs and/or not actually use the door to the deck. What if you pulled the nook wall back in line with the rear of the house, placing the door to outside next to the end run of the kitchen cabinetry (deleting those corners will save you $$$) and placed your dining set in the wasted space between the island & family room? I would leave the staircase open and maybe flair out the banister side a little to make it a little more dramatic so it stands out as the centerpiece it is.

-Make sure you are clear with your architect/designer on room dimensions--are the dimensions listed measured from mid-stud to mid-stud or from sheetrocked wall to sheetrocked wall.

Hope this helps!

• User
    12 years ago

The kitchen and breakfast area will be dark because of the covered deck. Perhaps you'd like to move that over to the great room side, as then it will provide more shading which would be better for TV viewing.

10x12 is a bit on the small side for an only eating area, especially one with a door and traffic pattern through it to the exterior.

The kitchen needs a complete makeover. The island is attempting to create architecture in an architectureless space and it's not working either for function or for interest.

If your den will serve as guest bedroom downstairs, it needs a closet and a bath. The powder room is too far and won't do it without adding a shower.

I'd want the powder room located a bit closer to the family area, although not out of the family entrance area. More like swap the laundry and the powder room and add a pantry after you get rid of the desk.

You're wasting valuable exterior windows and light on a mudroom. What are all of the extra stairs for in that area as well? The mains stairs seem to be wide enough to accommodate all kinds of traffic. Are you looking to them to add the architectural interest to the home?

Not enough lot width for a side load garage? Swap the single and double doors. It will force you to keep the storage of the single side more organized if you have to walk through it to get to the house and it's more convenient closer to the house. Make sure you go for the taller doors. 7' doors are dinky and won't be really be tall enough.

The master bedroom is small, especially in relation to the shower size. You could put a cot in that shower if you got in the doghouse. It's out of proportion. The long hallway wastes space that could otherwise be used in the master itself. The master closet also wastes space compared to the amount of storage it gives you. It would give you more storage if you split it in two and created two reach in closets. I'd also want them as buffer space between the master and the kitchen.

• kelhuck
    12 years ago

Well, my eyes were a little tricked last night when I was looking at the plan- I was thinking that the line drawn under the word "kitchen" was a load bearing wall! :)

So yes, now I agree that there is a big area that is underutilized there. What if you made that imaginary line a wall and put your island seating perpendicular to it and then added an extra island in the middle? It would give the room some definition and would also add kitchen space. Like my chicken scratch pic below:

{{gwi:1417259}}

I bet if you took this over to the kitchen forum they would love to figure it out for you!

• joyce_6333
    12 years ago

I really like your plan, especially the traffic flows. So many have the main traffic flow right through the middle of the great room. Your mud room/laundry is great, and I like the way it connects to the rest of the house. Master bedroom may be bit small. Not sure I would move the bathroom door, tho, but make it a pocket door. I see many places I would use pocket doors. The stairs to the bonus room (?) over the garage could post problems if you want to put large furniture up there. The only area that I personally don't care for it the kitchen layout. Again, I say personally, because I know many people love this layout, and it works for them. I'm not a fan of corner pantries. I think they take up so much space for the amount of storage you get, and you lose alot of counter space. I appears that the dishwasher will open to the end of the island, and could be a bottleneck. And the person standing in front of the stove will have their back to the end of the island. Again, perhaps a bottleneck. It's hard to tell dimensions in the kitchen area, just something to keep in mind. Be sure to post your kitchen plan on the kitchen forum; great resources over there. Is your dining area large enough? All depends on your lifestyle. This is going to be a beautiful home. Enjoy the process!

• kirkhall
    12 years ago

What to do with the triangle...

I think I would square it off. Rather than have a diagonal island, I'd probably put in a rectangular one. I don't know if I'd go as far as to put the wall in like Kelhuck did, but I'd orient the island that way.

What kind of floor covering do you envision for the space?

• jwillis96
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Wow...lots of great ideas...a bunch of stuff I would have never thought of...I really appreciate the insight...
    kirkhall,
    we plan on wood flooring for the kitchen/nook/entry area...I like the idea of squaring off the island...narrow/diagnoal islands dont appeal to me...

A little background...we have two kids (bdrms up) and are very casual so we might have family over a few times a year...The stairs in the mudroom are for a potential bonus room...

Thanks again for all of the input!!

• jeff2718
    12 years ago

To me the trip from garage to pantry looks like a long haul for groceries. I don't have the skill to offer a fix, but getting the pantry closer to the mudroom might be worth thinking about.