Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ornamental plaster ceiling and speakers, please advise design

Posted by threeapples (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 28, 12 at 21:29

Our Georgian home will have an ornamental plaster ceiling in a design similar to that shown in the link. My husband wants to put speakers in the ceiling, two 9" circular ones, one in the middle of each end of the ceiling. I'm worried this will look terrible and am thinking perhaps we should do it in the wall instead. The walls will be paneled and there is no good place to put speakers there and, incidentally, wall speakers are rectangular and larger than the ceiling speakers. What do you think? Should I do ceiling or wall?

Here is a link that might be useful: possible ceiling style

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ornamental plaster ceiling and speakers, please advise design

Convince him to put them in the wall somewhere, and possibly use those paper over speakers that can be painted out, if they still make them.

Don't mar the Adam Ceiling with any perforations or penetrations except a central chandelier, please :)
Use lots of perimeter sconces if need be but please no modern interruptions in a period ceiling.

o

Ditto. What about the option of a wifi speaker you bring in for formal dinners? I would do that before I would cut a hole in the ceiling or in the wall paneling. . . Many are battery operated, you could sit it below your sideboard or in another inconspicuous place, etc.

Or what about eliminating the speakers in the dining room altogether? The point of dining is to talk and music just distracts I think . . .

o

thanks so much to both you. i'm desperately trying to convince my husband for no speakers in the dining room. he's not buying our vision. :(

o

threeapples,

We have ceiling speakers all over our home. Many times we have the music fed from another room, so we can hear it in the dining room, music is just in the background. occaisionally, we have the music in the dining room but it is balanced most of the time with the other rooms' speakers, so it's just barely on in the dining room.

Just an idea, you could possibly put the speakers lower in the walls; chair rail height or even lower to be less conspicuous.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here