Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Advice on Don Gardner Vandenberg Plan

Posted by terri23 (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 16, 09 at 21:29

We are talking with a builder about building the Vandenberg plan from Don Gardner. Has anyone built this plan? Does anyone have any suggestions, comments, criticisms of this plan? The only modifications we are thinking about are changing the storage area in the garage into a pantry and putting in a kitchenette in the basement. Our land in on a hillside so the walkout basement should work out fine. Since we've never built a house before and this is our retirement "forever" home, any help would sure be appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Advice on Don Gardner Vandenberg Plan

Hi terri23,

We just built the Vandenberg and finished up about 4 months ago. We modified the plan some in the kitchen area and in the laundry room. We eliminated the storage area in the garage, like you are thinking about doing and made a pantry as well (not exactly like the plan shows because our garage steps couldn't come down like the plan. But I do have a small pantry beyond the laundry room. We also dug out the entire footprint of the main floor and created a media room and a second kitchen (I own a home based bakery so I needed space for a commercial kitchen--it's basically under where the breakfast nook and laundry room are if I'm thinking correctly). I have been meaning to post pics of the house forever and this may be my prompt to do it, if you are interested in seeing how we modified things. Oh, and we also built on more decking than what the plan shows. We built a big deck off the great room and covered it.

If I had to do it over again, I would have made the master closet a little bigger. I don't think it would have been a big deal to extend the space a little further out and it would have been a nice thing. Not a huge deal but do wish i had just a little more space in there sometimes.

Hope that helps! Feel free to fire away with questions and if you live anywhere near the western North Carolina area, I'd be happy to give you a tour! We are very pleased with it overall--it was our first house building experience and it was a good fit!

Nancy

o

Nancy--Thank you so much for your post. I'm so glad to know that you like your home and that your modifications were right along the same lines as what we're thinking of. I would absolutely LOVE to see pics of your home! And thanks for the offer of the tour. We just may take you up on it. We live just east of Nashville and our daughters live in Virginia Beach so we may have to come through there soon as our older daughter is getting married in May.

What did you use for siding. We are thinking of using hardiplank.

I'm sure we'll have more questions as we proceed. In the meantime, if you have any more suggestions you can always email me at tmccpa at gmail dot com.

Thanks again.

o

You are very welcome! These forums were such a help to us when we built so I'm happy to be able to reciprocate the kindness now that we're finished. And we'd be happy to show it to you in person, if you do come this way in May. We live about 30 miles west of Asheville, in Waynesville.

We used Hardiplank siding and are very happy with it. We did a couple of areas of the Hardiplank "shakes" and also some board and batten style siding but mostly just plain ol' lap siding with hardiplank. If I could do one aesthetic thing over, it would be to change the colors I chose for the exterior paint. I love our accent color but the body color turned out too light. But that's my own fault, not the siding!

And yes, I will definitely post some pics! I think they are calling for rain tomorrow, but I'll at least get some of the interior and follow close behind with exterior when the weather clears up! Just overlook the toys and such--we have 2 young children so it's never completely clean or picked up these days :)

o

Looking forward to the pics. Don't worry about the toys, I had 3 children in 3 years, all grown now, but I remember the day!

What color did you use for the Hardiplank? Did you get it prepainted or have it done on-site?

o

anybody have any photos of the vandenberg? I am planning on building it on a lakefront lot I own. Thanks

o

The only pictures I've seen of the inside are the 37 smaller pictures that are on the plan. Heres the link.

Here is a link that might be useful: Smaller pictures of the Vandenberg Plan

o

we are thinking of building the Vandenberg plan. Does anyone have any pics or changes to recommend. Know where a version of the house plan is built that we could see?

o

I am also in the process of building the Vandenberg and would love to see any pic's or comments regarding it. I did find a house for sale with some pic's here is the link

Here is a link that might be useful: Maple Homes

o

My builder suggested this home as the lot were looking to purchase would require this type of build. I have seen the pictures of a completed model of this home on the Don Gardener Website. But was wondering if those of you who have a finished home could post some pictures and also if you have done any modifications and what those were. And those of you who own this home if you could change something what would it be. I seen the home in Maples home where did they incorporate a 5th bedroom I would very much like a craft room. The idea of a bigger closet is something I will have to look into.

o

Val & Donette,
I found this home for sale in NC which has about 24 more pics. It's so interesting to see this plan done so many different ways. I'm noticing how different the foyer has been done (as far as the ceiling being open or not) in each of these homes....compared to the original pictures I saw on the Donald Gardner site. We are doing alot of planning right now but won't start til at least fall. Keep me posted as to how your plans are coming.

Here is a link that might be useful: Vanderberg home in NC

o
More pictures of a Vandenberg home

Val & Donette,
I found this home for sale in NC which has about 24 more pics. It's so interesting to see this plan done so many different ways. I'm noticing how different the foyer has been done (as far as the ceiling being open or not) in each of these homes....compared to the original pictures I saw on the Donald Gardner site. We are doing alot of planning right now but won't start til at least fall. Keep me posted as to how your plans are coming.

Here is a link that might be useful: Vanderberg home in NC

o

Is anybody can post a pictures of already build Vanderberg ?

o

Nancy...

Hello Nancy,

I saw your 2009 post on the GardenWeb internet site about the Vandenberg house plan you built. I hope this email reaches you.

We are very interested in building this plan also and would like to know if you have any pictures of the house that you can share. We are also planning on building in Western NC… near Lake Chatuge (Hayesville).

Thanks for any information or advice you can provide. I will check back on this forum for any reply.

Thanks,
George and Maureen

o

Getting ready to build the vandenberg house in Lynchburg, VA. Couldn't find any pictures other than the Gardner website. Are there any pictures available for those of you that have built the house.

o

I started this thread before we began building our house on a Tennessee hillside. Many, many people helped me along the way. I always meant to post the progress of our home build as others here do, but I never could figure out how they found the time. Once the build was underway, time was most definitely at a premium. We have been in our home for two years now and I see postings from others who are interested in seeing some pictures of a Don Gardner Vandenberg Plan. I am posting a link that should take you to an album I created. Please keep in mind, however, that many changes were made along the way. The biggest changes were made, when shortly after we started, I determined that it would be necessary to bring my elderly, wheelchair-bound mother to live with us. This necessitated changing the downstairs to accommodate her, most notably by putting in a full kitchen and bigger bathroom. If anyone has any questions after looking at the pictures, please feel free to ask and I will do my best to answer them. Good luck with your builds! Terri

Here is a link that might be useful: Vandenberg House Pictures

This post was edited by terri23 on Sun, Mar 10, 13 at 1:01

o

Terri, thanks for sharing your photos. I loved seeing how your house went through each phase through the photos. You have a beautiful home.

o

Hoosierbred--Thank you for your kind comments. It was a long haul and I'm so glad that it is finished. I wish everyone undertaking building their home the best of luck. Terri

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here