Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
snuffycuts99

Master Closets

snuffycuts99
10 years ago

We are trying to decide whether we should have his and her master closets or just one larger master closet. If we do two closets, both will be about 6x11. If we do just one, it would be about 9x11. We would also have a 6 foot wide reach in closet if we did just one.

We're really ok with either, but am wondering about resale. We plan on being in this house long term, but if something forced us to sell, would one be better for resale? Are his and her closets the norm or becoming expected?

Comments (7)

• okpokesfan
    10 years ago

We ended up with separate closets and I love it! I don't know about resale but I'm glad we don't share. His closet is approximately 6 x 11 and mine is 8 1/2 x 10 1/2.

• kirkhall
    10 years ago

If the difference is just in space between the 2 sides (9ft wide v 6 ft wide), I'd be temped to go with the 2 larger ones. BUT, they would both need to be slightly wider than 6 ft to be comfy, if they are 11 feet long. (6.5ft is a good minimum; 7 seems "standard" in a lot of the plans we see).

9 width gives you almost 5 feet between rows of hanging clothes, and seems like a huge waste of space to me. But, maybe not for you?

• okpokesfan
    10 years ago

In DH's closet (which is around 6 ft. wide), he only has clothing on one side and there is plenty of room. Six foot definitely isn't wide enough to have clothes on both sides. I should have clarified that. :)

• snuffycuts99
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for the suggestions. We are definitely leaning towards the two closets around 6x11 each. 9x11 seems nice, but then I do think there would just be more wasted space in the center of the room.

However, it sounds like we would need to go a bit wider than 6'. Would 6 1/2 feet be adequate? That would allow for two feet of hanging space on both sides, along with a 30" walkway.

• xc60
    10 years ago

Our closet will be 9x11, same size as the last closet we had. It's a nice size if you can spare the room. It was big enough for a small bench in the middle or room to pull out the ironing board for a quick touch up.

• chispa
    10 years ago

2 without a doubt! I broke through a wall to turn a small nursery/room into our second closet. It isn't fun for a neat person to share a closet with a not-so-neat person!

• dekeoboe
    10 years ago

We also have separate closets and I am glad we do not share. Ours are not large enough to hang clothes on both sides so we opted to put a non-straight wall in the middle of them. It is a bit hard to explain, so I am including a photo. We each have shelves and a blank wall for hooks. The shelves are in the front of the wall in my closet and on the back side of the wall in my husband's closet.