Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
epjenk

We are in! ( pics)

epjenk
17 years ago

We moved in last Saturday. I know I'll need a few more weeks to actually get all the pictures and such hung, and we still have to get some furniture and such. These are pictures of moving day before the chaos of stuff and kids arrived!

Here is a link that might be useful: moving day!

Comments (52)

• maggiepie11
    17 years ago

Wow!

The second picture is the one that got me. I LOVE your casings between the foyer and the dining room. Are those glass panes above the doorway in the casing?

Also--what's the color you carried through the hallways and stairs? Beautiful. I'm not an eggshell kind of person and am having trouble determining how bold I want to get with the hallways. :)

Congratulations. It's beautiful! Can't wait til we're there.

• lindybarts
    17 years ago

SWEEEEEEET! Congratulations and enjoy your gorgeous home!

Lindy

• epjenk
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks! For a while I thought the trim carpenters would NEVER leave (there were here almost 8 weeks). In the end, I am thrilled with what they have done.

The hall color is Porter Paints Sweet Bay, I did eggshell because I have small kids and I wanted the washability. That is a glass transom between the dining and hall, to me it dresses up the room without a lot of expense.

• fishpants
    17 years ago

Wow.

You're trim is exactly what I've been wanting to do! I like how the playroom trim was painted dark, unlike most of the rest of the house. A fun twist!

• hoosiergirl
    17 years ago

Gorgeous home, Epjenk! I also love the black trim in the playroom! Our painter told us that he had a man that asked for black trim throughout the house and he (the painter) was so hesitant to paint it that he made sure that the owner understood it would not be easily covered if he didn't like it. But he said it turned out really sharp. I think the same of yours -- it looks great (as does the rest of the house)!

• trudymom
    17 years ago

Oh what a gorgeous home. My fav was the kitchen. What is your granite?

Thank you for sharing!!

• chazas
    17 years ago

You must be thrilled. Congrats!

• ma28
    17 years ago

Your house is beautiful.....

Enjoy your new home!

maria

• jaynees
    17 years ago

Uh....I think you built my dream house. I'm so serious when I say that. You implemented just about everything I want in my will-be-built-someday house!!!

Was it a stock plan or drawn from scratch? It's BEAUTIFUL.

• mommyof5
    17 years ago

Beautiful home! Could you please share where your lighting is from. I especially like the dining room, kitchen lighting and wall sconces.

• amyks
    17 years ago

That is just beautiful! There are too many things to list that I love about your home. Tile work around the fireplace, fireplace and tv in the bathroom (that and a great lock on the door, maybe a bottle of wine and I think I may not leave.) Your pendants over the island, your kitchen in general. The list is long and varied. Congratulations on finishing, your new home is just gorgeous. Wow!

• lucy7280
    17 years ago

epjenk, congratulations - we all know how much work you have put into all the special details that make your home stunning and I envy that you have moved in.
    The colors that you chose for your rooms are perfect - I know I may be the first to ask, but not the only one who would like to know what colors you used in your rooms - they blend and they enhance the room - you did such a great job. I know you don't want extra work to do at this stage of the game - but it would be so appreciated! Congratulations again!

• dixiedo
    17 years ago

WOW!! What a stunning home you have made for yourself!! I ADORE the refridgerator... it looks like a beautiful armoire!!!

WOW WOW WOW... enjoy!!!

• nckim
    17 years ago

STUNNING!!! I don't post often, but I just had to...your attention to detail and character are phenomenal. I love the variety of different materials, colors, ideas, etc. throughout. You must be very proud (and should be!) Congrats!

• Phobie Privett
    17 years ago

Gorgeous! Absolutely gorgeous! Can I move in?? haha! Everything is so classy and just beautiful! Can you tell me the colors of your granite throughout? How do you think the tile backsplash in the kitchen will be to clean? It's just what I would choose, but wonder if it'll hold up to my messy family!! :)

CONGRATULATIONS!

• dxcspilk
    17 years ago

Awesome! That is my dream home. Glad you can live your dream!

• ideamom
    17 years ago

WOW!!! Amazing detail! Your home looks huge! How many sq ft is it? Love the see thru fireplace in the LR and outside. Where did you get that?

• epjenk
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank you all! I'll answer the ones I know.

Firplace is the Heat n' Glo Twilight Indoor/Outdoor fireplace. I really love the way it keeps that wall open to the outside, and it gave me a fireplace on the porch without the expense of another firebox.

Kitchen granite is Giallo Ornamental on the island, black something on the perimeter but I don't remember the name. Master bath is Lime Green Granite (that's the name, it really is more of a sage color), kids' baths are cultured marble in a black granite pattern.

As far as cleaning the backsplash, I don't think it is going to be too bad. The island is so big, that all of the main food prep happens over there. We tend to cook on the front burners of the stove unless it is a very large pot of something boiling, so I'm hoping it will be ok. We did seal the stone.

Main areas paint color is Porter Paints Sweet Bay. I don't remember the other color names. When I lay hands on my paint schedule again I'll post them.

I can't remember the lighting manufacturers either, I know I have a lot of Quiozel and Murray Feiss. If I track down the electrical plan I'll post them.

House is 5300 sf. custom, drawn from scratch. We used the architect who our builder recommended- very reasonable and quick. It was only around $5,000 for complete custom plans. Then we paid another architect that is know for the his exterior details to punch up the outside, that was about $500 more. A fair amount of the interior trim was my idea after poring over Craftsman magaizines and home pictures. I'm always a woman in search of a project, so I don't know what I'll do now that this is done!

I'm happy to answer any other questions that I know the answers too. I am just so pleased with how it turned out that I love to share!

• jaynees
    17 years ago

can you email the name of the architect to me? jaynee at yahoo dot com.

I wouldn't ask him/her to do the exact same house since yours should be YOURS ALONE (and we don't plan on going that big - we're staying at about 3500-4000 sq ft), but it looks as though he would be able to design the perfect house for us!!

• azdreamhome
    17 years ago

Your house is just beautiful. Thanks for sharing! Love the all the wood (floors, mouldings, etc.)

• blsdgal
    17 years ago

WOW!!

I love your house and your kitchen is stunning.

Great job.

• carolineb
    17 years ago

Your house is stunning, truly. I really like how it doesn't look like a new house, it has a very old world feel to it.

C

• owl_at_home
    17 years ago

Wow, epjenk! I am totally blown away by your house. It is gorgeous, inside and out, and SO many of the details are similar to what I envision for my house.
    You responded to a question I had earlier about vintage door knobs and you mentioned your clawfoot tub. It is beautiful! Your woodwork is also very similar to what I want. Thanks for sharing these photos.

• kats
    17 years ago

Hooray!

A special dance just to say congratulations!

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:1416672}}

• kellyeng
    17 years ago

Really is a gorgeous house! Beautiful and classic detail. Enjoy!

• feebs
    17 years ago

Absolutely beautiful! I LOVE homes that are built to look as if they have been there forever. Very well done, inside and out. Definitely one of my top 3 favorite houses. Thank you for sharing your home with us.

• trubee
    17 years ago

Just stunning. I love the murals in Liam's room -- and so many other details and your fireplaces, etc etc etc. And your views are magnificent! Where in this amazing country are you? It is so different from our area - it looks like a winter postcard! Congrats! And I hope you know you got the deal of a lifetime on that architect....

• jomarn
    17 years ago

What a wonderful house! It's hard to pick a favorite feature, but I think it's Liams' shower and mural! Maybe I'm just a kid at heart??

Congratulations, and enjoy your lovely new home!

• epjenk
    Original Author
    17 years ago

We are in Williamson County, TN (just outside of Nashville).

• onlygirlsmom
    17 years ago

epjenk- how big is your kitchen/eating area. It looks like a perfect size! Is your basement a walkout? It looks like the media room has windows in it? Absolutely stunning house! Even my DH pulled up a chair and said "Now that's a sweet house!" Great job!!

kelly

• bridget helm
    17 years ago

Wow! That's what I call...a HOUSE! The property is gorgeous too! By the way, I have a son named Liam Patrick. What are the floors in your Liam's bathroom?

Great job!
    Bridget

• bloominwhereplanted
    17 years ago

I'm a little late in seeing this... but GREAT job! Everything flows together so nicely in the Craftsman style. Can you tell me what your front door is? Thanks!

• jynxed23
    17 years ago

It was such a pleasure viewing the pictures of your new house. I love the details, colors, and the thought that went into the design. Congratulations and enjoy!

• djm3
    17 years ago

Beautiful house!! Congratulations!

• beckkl
    17 years ago

Quick question: What is your ceiling height? Looks awesome.

• jilliferd
    17 years ago

Your home pictures look straight out of a magazine. Everyone else has used the all adjectives already so I won't repeat them. Wait, I don't think AMAZING was used yet!

Jill

• columbodial
    17 years ago

Epjenk,
    I enjoyed looking at your pics. Your house is lovely. I really lâºve your media room.âº

• ideamom
    17 years ago

Epjenk: My brother lives outside of Nashville too. He is in Nolensville. Is that where you are? I love that area! Close to the city but still rural. Nice!

• User
    17 years ago

Wow! What a fantastic job--you created a beautiful, coordinated and very distinctive home with many special touches and well thought out features. I am impressed.

I hope you enjoy many happy years in your home.

• epjenk
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hey- I got bumped back up!
    bloominwhereplanted- our front door is a custom mahogany, but it is a straight ripoff of the doors made by Bob Timberlake Millwork. His would have run us about $2k more, so we had them built locally.
    Ceiling heights is 12 ft. downstairs, 10 ft. up.
    Media room does have windows in it, we just put up really dark velvet curtains and that gives us light control during the day. At night I like having the windows open so we can watch the moon on the fields. I love being out in the country, although it was a little creepy last night when the pack of coyotes was howling.

• househappy
    17 years ago

WOW! That is a beautiful home! I love how you did the knobs on the doors...crystal inside...bronze levers for exterior? Would you be willing to share where you found the crystal knobs. They are exactly what I'm looking for! Thanks.

• epjenk
    Original Author
    17 years ago

knobs are bravura brass, they were cheaper than emtek and we needed a lot of knobs! I'm happy with the quality so far and they seem sturdy and well built.
    Only factor w/the crystal knob- because they use a pushbutton beside the knob to lock, they can only be locked from the inside. Meaning, you can't lock the door and then walk out and shut it. We had to add slide locks up high to keep the 2 year old out of DH' office and the media room when we aren't in there.

• cnproject
    17 years ago

I have been lurking and watching all of your progress. My house will not be done until the end of May, but your house is absolutely GORGEOUS. The details, the love, you must be so excited. I can't wait to get to that stage!!! Please let me know what the colors of your hardwood floors are.

• epjenk
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Floors are rustic oak plank w/coffee brown stain and satin finish. So far they are holding up remarkably well to small boys and dogs.

• liptonjl
    16 years ago

The whole house is amazing and beautiful! I see you said the floors are "rustic oak plank w/coffee brown stain and satin finish", but are they a certain manufacturer?

• juniork
    16 years ago

So glad your post got bumped back up AGAIN! :) Absolutely beautiful house! We're starting to plan a craftsman-type home, too, and I'm looking to yours for inspiration! You defintely got a great deal on the architect...we've spoken to one whose estimate was "$40,000 and up"...sigh. Thanks for sharing your beautiful home with us...this definitely gives me hope that it CAN be done. Now that you've been in it for a few months, is there anything you would have changed? I'm sure nothing major, but anything small? I can't wait to do research on your indoor-outdoor fireplace...that'll be perfect for our family room! Thanks, and congrats!

• labradoodlelady
    16 years ago

What an absolutely gorgeous house! I too am glad this got bumped up, I missed it the first time. You have the most beautiful refrigerator cabinetry I've ever seen!!!

Congratulations on a fabulous home.

• epjenk
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hey, we got bumped up again! The floors aren't any particular brand, they were site finished. The grade of wood is really cheap, although the installer charged a bit more because of the variance in the boards w/the knots and such. This finish is SO forgiving to dirt, stains and scratches I highly recommend it for the active family.

For what I would change, there are a few:
    1. Would not do the black cabinets/trim in the playroom. It doesn't show dirt, which I was hoping for, but it easily shows scratches and chips
    2. Would have skipped the laundry chute, didn't cost much but we never use it. You still have to carry the basket down, so it seems easier just to carry it down full.
    3. Not sure I would do a painted island again. The dishwasher in particular is already showing wear on the panel. But, I've never had a paneled appliance before so maybe stained would have been just as bad.
    4. Didn't realize one kid's walk in closet has no air vent, we either have to leave that door open or it is really hot in there.
    5. Really should have done a 4 car garage or at least an oversized bay. I drive an Escalade ESV, so that takes pretty much all of the 2 car side, with the kids' bikes, power wheels, scooters, sports equip, etc. it is really tight in there. We may end up with a barn yet!

Other things we really love!:
    Love the tile "wood" floors in the master bath. They look great, wear great, and everyone is shocked to find out they are actually tile. They are made by Daltile, I forget the name.

Love the Giallo Ornamental island top, it hides dirts and smudges great. Also really happy with the lime green granite in the master, so much more fun and colorful than the carerra the decorator wanted me to use.

Love the intercom! At 5500 sf, it really is wonderful to not have to scream to hear the kids. Also heartbreakingly cute when the two year old gets on and call his brothers for goodnight hugs and kisses, STAT!

All and all, there is very very little I would do differently. I'll try and post some new decorated pictures now that we have a landscaped yard and furniture.

• gregdrose
    16 years ago

Gorgeous!

• vfish
    16 years ago

In a nutshell, A-W-E-S-O-M-E! Your home truly has all of the custom touches that make it stand out!
    I love the kitchen, lighting, floors and paint colors!
    Fixtures are right on and consistant with the theme of the house. What a perfect plan and it looks like you stayed the course throughout the entire building process!
    Wonderful job, my hat is off to you!