Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
okpokesfan

Do you have an angle in your laundry chute?

okpokesfan
11 years ago

The laundry chute will start in my daughter's bathroom upstairs. If it comes straight down, it will shoot into the pantry. However, we can angle it a little and have it shoot into the laundry room.

My DH and I are disagreeing about the angle though. HE thinks clothes will get stuck if it's angled. I'm not sure as long as the angle is gentle enough.

Please help, we need some answers by tomorrow!

Comments (10)

• okpokesfan
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here is the picture of our laundry/pantry area. The x is where the chute would be in the pantry. One of the issues is that my pantry keeps getting taken for other things--the water softener, a box for a return on the outside. Frustrating!

Please advise!

• kirkhall
    11 years ago

I think you can do a gentle angle/continuous slope. I wouldn't put in a true angle.
    Disclaimer: I don't have a chute, and they aren't allowed in all jurisdictions.

• rrah
    11 years ago

It maybe a little over the top, and I'm not a germophobe, but it would be kind of disgusting to me to have dirty laundry dumped into my pantry with food and food prep things. I would go for a gentle slope.

• okpokesfan
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Unfortunately the only place for the laundry chute to drop into the pantry and/or laundry is in the bathroom above it. The rest of the rooms are over the kitchen or piano room.
    Believe me I looked for another place for it!

• folkvictorian
    11 years ago

The chute in my parents' house has a bend in it and it's worked fine since 1964. It begins in the upstairs bathroom and angles down about 5 feet where it then goes straight down to the basement. At the bend, there's a little door inside a kitchen pantry cabinet so that kitchen towels, etc. can be put down the chute. If something big, like a heavy blanket, is put in the bathroom opening, it might get hung up at the bend, but all you have to do is open the small pantry door and give it a nudge and it continues down to the basement.

• worthy
    11 years ago

There's an angle in our laundry chute. But we can't use it as the house was remodeled several times since it was built in 1964 and it would terminate in the kitchen, which is where the laundry was first located. My sister's custom-built home of that era had the same setup. Now, the most common place for laundries in high-end homes is on the second floor.

This post was edited by worthy on Fri, Feb 15, 13 at 8:16

• okpokesfan
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Worthy, most of the time when I'm doing laundry, I am in my kitchen so I wanted the laundry to be downstairs. Plus, when the kids are gone I wanted everything DH and I would need to be on the first floor. We are already framed and doing rough-ins so obviously laundry location can't be changed. :^)

• laundrychute
    11 years ago

Hi everyone. Not sure what material you are using for your laundry chute but here in the UK we only use stainless steel (very smooth inside). An angle up to 45 degree degrees is fine - nothing will get stuck / has got stuck.
    I am aware that in the US people use plastic or wood to construct a laundry chute (not allowed in the UK) and I can see that any angle over 30 degrees could prevent your laundry from falling freely.
    Please find an image attached of a recent installation of a powder coated residential laundry chute with a 45 degree bend in it.
    Good luck with your project. If I can help you further please just ask.

Here is a link that might be useful: Laundry Chute Information

• okpokesfan
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Our HVAC guy is making it & will use metal. Thank you laundry chute!