Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aj33_gw

Final Stretch - Review of plans request!!

aj33
12 years ago

Hi All,

I had requested help with the plans few months ago and I got great help.

I was rather unhappy with the Architect's plans and Summerfield drew an excellent plan. We were still thinking through the layout. I have since been drawing plans and revising them numerous times using a simple software. I am posting links to

I would be grateful for any and all reviews, comments, ideas to improve my current drawings (last two links above). We like the boomrang shape better but that seems to mess up the inside. Please comment on how to make things better. I am not able to determine the square footage with this software (Envisioneer express plus). BTW, it is rather easy to use. We would like the house to be as close as possible to 2350-2400 sq ft.

Thanks.

AJ

PS: House is south facing

PPS: Plans are best viewed if you click on "download original" if your browser opens the plan in a browser window.

Here is a link that might be useful: All four pdf plans

Comments (12)

• renovator8
    12 years ago

I think you should use Summerfield's design or find another architect and start over.

• mydreamhome
    12 years ago

Another vote for Summerfield's plan. It has the best combination of flow & design IMO.

• frozenelves
    12 years ago

All but Summerfield's are awful, sorry just being truthful. I don't see anything needing improvement in that one.

• andi_k
    12 years ago

Another vote for Summerfield's plan. The others are awkward on the inside, I don't think you'll be happy living in them.

• cyngar
    12 years ago

I too like Summerfield's plan, so much that if it were around 2200 s.f. I'd build it.

aj33 - What's the s.f. of Summerfield's design? And do you have the exterior elevations to share?

• aj33
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the candid replies. I am flattered - my plans are only as awful as the Architect's :-) (I know I am making assumptions here :-) )

Summerfield's plan gave us hope that a nice plan can be done despite the dimension restrictions we have due to this property's shape (more width than depth) and the fact that we want a ranch.
    DCRanger - I wasn't able to determine the square footage of Summerfield's plan. Original plan was 2367 and Summerfield was aware of our desire to keep the square footage in that neighborhood, so it must be close. Smaller the better for us.

We continued to draw for the following reasons:

1. We like lot of sun and light in the house even though we are aware of downside of too much sun.

2. The two guest bedrooms will be used very infrequently, so wanted to move them away from sunny part of the house.

3. Living room, being that it is behind the covered porch won't get much winter sun. In my design, with proper overhang, we will get full winter sun and no summer sun. Front porch stops winter sun - mostly from entry area.

4. Wanted to avoid a third bathroom.

My drawings are meant to convey the location of rooms in conformity with our likes and dislikes. We would highly appreciate detailed comments about my drawings.

Thanks.

AJ

• aj33
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I forgot to mention that we wanted the entry to MBR in a better place.

AJ

• PRO
    Epiarch Designs
    12 years ago

AJ- haven't heard from you in a while. Sorry to hear/see you reworking with your local architect has not been successful.
    Have you tried talking with Summerfield on actually doing a plan for you to build instead of just relying on freebies through GW?
    I am with the rest, a "pro"....with talent....needs to be working with you on this since you have some unique design requirements.

• aj33
    Original Author
    12 years ago

lzerarc - thanks for your concern. I sent mail to Summerfield and waited multiple weeks before posting here. Perhaps he is away or busy.

Definitely not looking for freebies.

Multiple smart, experienced people reviewing a plan helps a lot even if one has a good Architect.

• aj33
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi DCRanger,

Here is the rear elevation of the original plan. Elevations for Summerfield's revision were never drawn.

AJ

Here is a link that might be useful: Rear Elevation

• aj33
    Original Author
    12 years ago

And here is the front elevation.

Here is a link that might be useful: Front Elevation

• cyngar
    12 years ago

Thanks AJ - That gives us an idea but not sure we'll use it as it might not fit our country craftsman style. Thanks again.