Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Please vote on 2nd floor layout and center window of elevation

Posted by lnia (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 15, 12 at 19:21

Hi,

Not sure if the etiquette is to continue on a prior posting on similar topic. I figured my question is slightly different now. Let me know though for the future.

Ok, ignoring the 2 story greatroom (I have to say that because I know how passionate most of you are on this topic :-)), let me know which flow you like better for the 2nd floor. (also ignore the master bath/master closet). Keep in mind we may or may not build out the space above the garage.
Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App
Photobucket

Let me know which is your favorite window for the foyer area. DO you like the arched top or squared off top for the window? Also, do you think it would be ok if we didn't do limestone around every single window? Maybe just the main body of the home-- the 5 windows? I like the contrast of the limestone but I also know it is expensive.

Photobucket

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Please vote on 2nd floor layout and center window of elevatio

The second layout leaves your bonus room more versatile, should you choose to build on. It also makes your closet bigger.

Either design, I would put the laundry room closest to your master, rather than the kid's bathroom.

I would also not put the W/D on the wall next to the bedroom, I would put it on the wall next to the bathroom. That will keep the noisy stuff away from your bedroom as much as possible.

o

Layout #2 gets my vote. I think you could rework the linen closet & bedroom2's closet to allow access to bonus room from the hall vs. thru the master suite.

I really like the the arching of the roofline in the 2nd elevation, but it will be more expensive to do. I think it softens the look of the house somewhat. I will say that if I hadn't seen the elevation with the arched roofline, I wouldn't have thought about changing it to an arch. I don't think you can go wrong with either elevation.

o

Didn't this elevation get discussed last Nov? The windows are still shoved tightly up under the roof eave and your architect's knowledge of masonry detailing hasn't improved.

o

Oops. I meant your FIRST layout leaves the bonus room more versatile.... the one with hallway access.

o

A 16x6 foot laundry room is very long and narrow - same with a bathroom. I like number two, unless you're pretty darn sure you're going to need that bonus room for more than storage, down the road. If so, then number one. Have you had an architect take a gander at this? There may well be a solution you just haven't thought of. It would be worth the money to get this right.

o

I think the first plan is better, but I would switch the laundry room and kids' bathroom.

o

I like the first layout, with the bonus room accessible from the hallway. If you wanted a WIC for BR2, you could steal some space from the bonus room for that, right?

I actually like the hall bath being to the left of laundry room, so that kids coming from BR2 and BR3 are closer to the bathroom door. That way if they're walking around in towels or underwear (or totally nako, if they're little) they won't be viewable from the opening into the great room. Not that a young kid would care who sees them in all their glory; I guess I'm thinking about my teenage DD who would be mortified to be seen in a towel by anyone downstairs.

I get why others might not want the hall bath next to the Mbedroom, so maybe mirror image it to put all the plumbing on the wall by the laundry room and see if you can insulate that wall between MB and hall bath. I'd also mirror image the laundry room fixtures so that the empty wall is the one facing the great room. If you wanted, you could have windows looking into the great room to get more natural light in the laundry, keep an eye on the kiddos in the GR while you're doing laundry, and making it so the 2 story wall in the GR isn't so blank up there. Just a thought.

o

Having two kids (6 and 10), I'm just putting this out there. We moved from a house where all our rooms were down one long hallway. It was great when they were little. When they started getting older and more active, it got a little TOO close for comfort for us. They didn't care...I'm sure they would have if we were still there when they were teens. But having all the rooms in such close proximity just got to be a little bothersome. Sometimes it was noise coming from their rooms (if one would have a sleepover or whatever). But sometimes (and I'll put this delicately), we would have to muffle noise from our room out of paranoia. Did I put that delicately enough? ;P

Anyway, it's something to think about since you're building and can start from scratch. It seems as if there can be something else done with this upstairs other than a long narrow hallway.

However, if you're fine with this, then I vote number 1 layout because it's more versatile. And I would keep that bathroom to the left because of the open balcony and privacy of the kids going back and forth to the bathroom.

I like the second front elevation. I'm looking at the set of four rectangular windows that's kind of in the middle of the house. Why do they seem to be attached to the roofline? They're really really high. Why is that?

o

I like first elevation but the second one has an error with the window sill on the bay window. It is smaller than other side of house.

o

babs makes a good point about how close the MB is to the other bedrooms (and sound traveling.) Why not swap the master bath/closet space with the master bedroom space (in plan 1)? You'd need to get the door to the bedroom into the hallway; maybe the mbedroom and bonus room could both have angled doors at the end of the hall. That way, the m bath and closet act as a sound buffer between the master bedroom and other bedrooms and hall bath; in addition, that puts the m bedroom in a better spot for windows, because it's on a corner. The master WIC becomes completely interior, which is fine because a space like that doesn't need a window.

This mockup is obviously rough and the door area needs work, but it shows what I'm describing re: the m bedroom and m bath.

Photobucket

o

As always, thanks for the great advice/feedback.

In regards to elevation, the 2 small windows will not be up against the roof. This has been addressed. I just keep going back and forth between that center window so there are several iterations out there. The most current elevation has each side of the main body of the home symmetrical.

Thanks for the mock up Chicagoans! Definitely something to consider especially having all the plumbing more centralized and the additional privacy.

Is there any way to break up the long hallway so it doesnt feel like a hotel corridor? What if I added some archways to to break it up? Also, is there such a thing as a secret passage wAy? Meaning if I don't know if we will ever use space above garage, but if we do, we want entrance from main hallway, what would be a good division for now? Door thAt gives illusion of decorative niche but really serves as a door as well?.?.?

Due to the stairs, No living room, and desire for more open dining room for 1st floor, I fear our options are limited on 2nd floor...

Below is another iteration of 2nd floor....

Any

o

Here is the link...

thoughts? As you can tell bedroom 3 walk in was bumped out further to create more dimension. Or, again, is long hallway best, but with some added detail to break up the long hallway?

also, what are your thoughts on master bathroom and 2 mirrors facing each other? Does it work to have 2 mirrors facing each other or will it be confusing?

thanks!

o

I'm thinking it would work better if the master space was where the bonus room and master bath are. I can't stop thinking that one kid is getting a much smaller room as it is. But if the bonus space stays where it is then I don't know. I'd still put the master behind the master bath. I'd still switch the laundry and bath.

o

Chicagoans did what I had suggested in another post. I really like that seeing it on paper. Although I would have kept the jog as I assume that is following the below and pushed into the bonus area space some for the master.

Not only does it give more privacy, it also give you more windows and more options for furniture arrangements.

o

Still no wall sections, eave details or perspective drawings and now an arched eave over an arched window forces water into the bottom of the valley between two large roof planes where there is only a small gutter to receive it. It should be obvious to anyone that this configuration will cause water to run over that gutter and damage the face of the building below.

It is time to deal with the obvious lack of practical design and detailing skill of your architect. I've been an architect for 40 years and I can easily spot the work of an amateur. You have spent a great deal of time designing this house and it is now time to have it reviewed by an experienced and skilled professional designer. If you rely on the builder to solve these problems you may have to spend a great deal more time and money later.

o
an example

Here is an example of two roof valleys that drain to the same point at the entrance of a Tudor Style house. The only way to solve this problem is not create it. Notice the appropriate Tudor rake end detail. Returning the cornice would be a classical detail and returning it with a little piece of roofing would be a modern subdivision developer detail.

You need to decide what statement you want this house to make and then find a designer who knows how to achieve it.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

o

chicagoans, all, you have inspired us. What do you think of the following?:

do you think it will be too long of a hike from one end to another?

Renovator, thanks for your feedback. Do you think the squared off roof over the center window is the best option then from a maintenance perspective?
I am hoping these are all just sketches and once the detailed work starts, all will be uncovered and fixed as needed...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here