Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
basement steel beam

Posted by lingny (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 1, 13 at 18:35

I am renovating my entire house including moving all elements. This includes moving the staircase to the basement. Where I want the stair is exactly where the steel beam is. So there is no clearance to walk down. Is there a way to cut the steel beam and do a support post somewhere, the stair is about 4 feet wide. Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: basement steel beam

Yes. But the steel columns supporting the cut sections of the I-Beam have to sit on piers requiring you to break the concrete, excavate for piers, install rebar and pour.

The whole thing should be speced by a structural engineer and in most jurisdictions approved by the local building authority.

You might want to rethink the stair relocation.

o
RE: basement steel beam

Worthy's comments about cutting and patching the existing beam may or may not be possible. The steel beam is supporting something (or lots of somethings) on the floors above and carrying the load down to the foundation. Cutting the steel beam, supporting the cut ends with new columns and footings (and reconfiguring whatever the beam is supporting where it's cut) depends entirely on what sort of load(s) and where they are located for the steel beam.

For example, if the steel beam is carrying the distributed load of the floor joists above, one can't simply cut the beam for a 4' width for stairs. What do you think happens to those floor joists that were being supported where the beam was cut and removed?

Worthy is absolutely correct in recommending doing nothing before a structural engineer looks at and calculates everything.

I certainly agree: easiest and possibly best solutions is to find another location for the stair and leave the beam alone unless you want to spend what it takes to investigate, redesign and reconfigure the beam, new supporting columns and footings.

Good luck on your project.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here