Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
djdoggone

Photo: Please Help Settle Which Window

djdoggone
12 years ago

Hubby and I disagree as to which window size we should select. We have obtained the services of a PhotoShop person to display the two size windows.

Hubby would like to do the larger size windows sans shutters. I would like to do smaller with. I've included cut-and-paste visions of landscaping, as well.

Thanks for any feedback. Deb

Larger Windows:

Smaller Windows:

My Vision:

Hubby's Vision:

Comments (17)

• okpokesfan
    12 years ago

I prefer the one with shutters. I makes it look more finished.

• mydreamhome
    12 years ago

I prefer the shutter look, however, these are the questions I have: What 2 size windows are you going back & forth on? How does the window size affect the planned interior furniture layout? How much space is there between the windows on the left side of the house when you use the larger windows?

• lolauren
    12 years ago

I agree that the shutters look more finished.

• kirkhall
    12 years ago

I like the shutters, but I prefer the larger window. The smaller windows have too much trim/white and not enough window pane. IMO.

• User
    12 years ago

Larger windows. 4 over 1 muntins. No shutters. They look cheesy and fake because they are fake.

• mjtx2
    12 years ago

This thread makes me laugh - it shows how different we all are. I completely love the large windows and no shutters. If, and that's a huge if, the shutters are to scale and maybe have pretty shutter hardware on them, I might get there. But the size and scale of the house - I just don't think the shutter thing looks authentic at all.

And no matter what: large windows.

• renovator8
    12 years ago

The size of the windows should be proportional to the size of the interior spaces.

What is odd is that this house is so small it probably wouldn't meet the minimum room size and ceiling height requirements of the building code.

• djdoggone
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the considered opinions. I know it is hard so "see" with photos and PhotoShopped at that. But your responses have highlighted our quandary.

House main is 30' 6" x 24' 6" with 12 x 12 ell off the back. We have removed the 7 ft. ceiling and vaulted it to 8 1/2 ft. It is the 7' 2" (inside measure) of exterior walls and 4 1/2 pitch roof that make it look like a munchkin house. (Hubby really, really doesn't want to raise the roof and extend the chimney now that attic insulation is maxed out.) But everyone walks inside and is surprised. Right now the south wall is almost all glass (Photoshop makes it look like forest but really surrounded by 12 acres of pasture & stone walls) (Picture is of east) and therein is the rub: do we remove glass and make it look & feel more proportionate outside -- more like a munchkin house? or do we try to increase the glass on the east?

Right now the glass in the house is a very modern horizontal slider. We want to orient the windows to vertical but...

Small windows are 2' 1 3/8" x 4' 1" (frame size)

Large windows are 2' 5 3/8" x 4' 5" -- 2' 1" off the floor

To increase east wall left-hand-side glass I have considered triple window but the windows only go down to 1' 9" wide so with a proportionate triple it might look like overkill: 1 - 1 1/2 - 1. Picture window doesn't open.

Shutters would be real, working with shutter dogs, etc. But, mjtx2, you might be right (and so, too, my Hubby) that all that fussy-ness will look ridiculous on our mongrel.

Door is off center by one foot and entry is standard 3' so left side is about 14' 5". With two large windows with 4" trim (5' 6 6/8") that would leave a skosh less than 2 1/4 ' surround for equidistant windows-- I think.

Renovator8: Main is only 3 rooms (living/kitchen, bed, bath) and ell is mudroom/laundry so we are good for Mass codes.

• LilFlowers MJLN
    12 years ago

I'm a lover of windows, HUGE windows, at that. While I like the look of paned windows, I happen to like the paned on the tops and clear on the bottoms. As for the shutters, I like them. For us, they will have to be functional since we live in hurricane territory. It's what I've always wanted. At the moment on our current house, we have HUGE windows like the ones in the first picture(They are actually bigger. They are almost 6' long and 3' wide) but no shutters.

• renovator8
    12 years ago

IMHO it is important for the windows to have a dressed up traditional appearance to make it clear that this is a well built house even if it is modest in size.

I would make the larger windows even wider and put a cap trim over the head touching the facia board and a sub-sill under the sill so the jamb trim can sit on it (see ATW link). The paired windows should be held apart 2 or 3 inches with a single trim board covering the gap and resting against a continuous sub-sill.

I like the 6 over 1 mullions but 6 over 6 might reinforce Nantucket cottage appearance. If you plan to replace the siding consider shingles.

Here is a link that might be useful: ATW

• djdoggone
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Renovator8: I have lurked on this website for a while and have already clipped your posts about the Marvin windows needing a sub-sill. Thanks, we'll use the ATW sub-sill. And, having grown up on the cape, you have hit upon the architecture I love best -- the quirky Nantucket cottage. It is most helpful to hear just what you'd do with the windows. Thanks. We'll go wider -- after all, it would feel funny for the east side to have the small windows while the south is nothing but. Would you go as long as 4' 5" or keep them shorter, 4' 1", because of the tiny wall?
    I really like the 6 over 1 but Hubby's shop has the classic windows so am torn.

• renovator8
    12 years ago

I would raise the window head until the trim hits the facia board and keep the finished interior stool at about 24" off the floor. I hope that would be 4-5 or taller. Be sure to compare the right dimensions; don't confuse the rough opening dimension with the frame dimension and the total clear sash dimension. In the end what you see is the sash width and height.

Lots of mullions are good for this kind of house. Omitting them at the bottom sash saves a few bucks.

• threeapples
    12 years ago

DJdoggone, I prefer no shutters, but honestly think your little house is so charming that it will look great either way. Please post updated pictures of your decision. I think it will be so beautiful.

Renovator8, what is your background--you've been a wealth of information on these boards.

• renovator8
    12 years ago

threeapples, I'm just an old architect who likes to help homeowners.

• djdoggone
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, Renovator8, I think we've got it. Will work out the window size with PhotoShop person. And thanks to all who gave feedback. It helped to have third parties 2 cents. Deb

• djdoggone
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Ooops, forgot the inspiration photo to give a better idea of BIG windows.

• renovator8
    12 years ago

Leave some space between the planting and the wall or you will be prematurely replacing the shingles.

Otherwise, well done!