Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aaron496

Wetland signs on property

aaron496
10 years ago

So last year we bought a some land (34 acres) in albany ny, about 1/2 the property is wetlands, mostly in the back. Now I am in the process of getting a building permit to put our house up , the town planning department will not sign off on the permit unless we put 7 signs up marking the wetland boundary . Now, we have had two surveys done and both marked the wetlands, so we are quite aware of where they are. The signs are 9"x15" on a 4' sign with a 3' footing and we will have 2 of them in our backyard close enough that we have to look at them everyday . The house is not encroaching on the 100' border for the wetlands and our house will be the only one on the property. Has anyone ever heard of this before or have any ideas to get around it.
We could understand the signs if we were going to develop the land and put multiple houses on it but it seems overkill to put signs up on our private property

Thanks Aaron

Comments (13)

• User
    10 years ago

Put it up with plain pine or other non rot reistant wood for the post. It won't last long. Especially treated with a few select holes filled with a high nitrogen fertilizer. You comply with the requirements, but it will be out of your viewing angle by the time you really start using the house.

• kirkhall
    10 years ago

They want you to put them up permanently? I would have thought just for the construction phase, so that your contractors keep their equipment out of the wetlands. And, probably an eco-fence.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

We had to mark where the wetlands are on our property, but they said we can use whatever we want, so we put some boulders down where the stakes were. Maybe one day we'll swap them for bluebird houses. And they told us we could only mow the wetlands once a year, but we sneak in one or two more to keep it neat.

• aaron496
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I would love to make the sign less permanent , but there specs are
    Dot grade aluminum pole
    Embossed metal sign
    3' of concrete for a footing
    So they want them around for a while

If they end up making us put them up we will plant trees in front of them

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

I really like the bird house idea...becomes useful as well as meeting requirements. Can you make the signs kitsch and work it in with them?

• debrak2008
    10 years ago

I think it must be just during the construction. Our yard back ups to federal wetlands in new york state and there is not a single sign anywhere around it.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

It doesn't have to be federal...there are local wetlands regs that must be followed.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Any way you can mark out the wetlands just on the edges so they aren't in your view so much? Can you turn them around and put mirrors on the backside so they reflect the surrounding rather than the sign?

• virgilcarter
    10 years ago

Sounds like much ado about a little. Spend your time thinking about how to landscape around the signs and enjoy the rest of your building process. There may be many other, more pressing issues to deal with, if you build is similar to that of many others.

• edlincoln
    10 years ago

If the local zoning authorities want to make a stink, they can make your life miserable. I'd just put the signs up. Small maters are usually not worth the cost and ill will of litigating.

Actually, I can see why they want the signs there. You know where the borders of the wetlands are NOW. Will you remember 20 years from now when you are thinking of putting in a shed/garage/pool? If you sell the house, will the next owners know?

• invisible_hand
    10 years ago

What is the reason behind the signage?
    Is there any enforcement mechanism to ensure the signs stay in place after you receive a building permit / CO?

I wouldn't start a fight over installing the signs if a clearly documented requirement. I would however be tempted to have the signs removed shortly after move-in if they were still bothersome

• aaron496
    Original Author
    10 years ago

So after talking it over with the planning department they understood our point of view and decided to let us skip the signs for now, but if we sell or subdivide we will have to put them up

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Nice solution!