Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What do you think of this Bungalo?

Posted by kam76 (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 7, 13 at 17:40

You all were so helpful with pointing out some flaws with the other plan we were considering (the Mountain Cottage one), I would appreciate your thoughts on this one. It has the same kitchen/dining/family room all open which I really like, this time the entry from the garage is not through the kitchen! The kitchen is smaller 9 x 15 instead of 13 x 17 which a few of you said was TOO big. Not sure how I feel about the extra living room area. Really love the Bungalo look and definitely fits with our "style". I would love to buy an old house and fix it up but DH has lived in 2 and done all the work to get them up to current code so he has vetoed my idea. This would be the next best thing right? Again we have two young girls, we love to cook (1 big butt and two little butts kitchen) love to entertain and we live in a wet muddy place so a separate mudroom entrance is a must.

FIRST FLOOR
 photo 1024-03CedarBungalow-MainLevel.jpg

SECOND FLOOR and BONUS ROOM
 photo 1024-03CedarBungalow-SecondLevel.jpg

FRONT
 photo Photo_LeftElevation.jpg

REAR
 photo ExteriorImage_02_RearLeft.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What do you think of this Bungalo?

Nice plan! There are a couple of small points I noticed:

What is the reason for the full bath downstairs? Will one of the downstairs rooms be used as a guest room? If not, you could make that a half-bath and use the extra space for more closets or some other purpose.

Is there a possibility that the attic will ever be used as a guest room? If so, the jack'n'jill bath set up on the second floor means that guests would either have to go through a bedroom or all the way down to the first floor to use a bathroom. Making the jack'n'jill into a hall bath would be more practical.

What size bed do you have? There doesn't seem to be enough wall room in master bedroom to easily fit a king-size bed and two nightstands.

I really really hate windows in closets unless they face north or you use film on the windows. Otherwise, sun-bleaching is a real danger.

The placement of the door from the garage into the house means that the person who parks on the right will have to walk all the way around the other car to get into the house. Could you move it to the top of the plan instead?

In the kitchen, the back-to-back sink and cooktop might be a bit of a squeeze when two people or more people are working.

o

Overall, a nice plan with pleasing elevations.

My main issue with this plan is that it is heavy on living areas while other areas seem a little cramped. You have a family room, living room, study and studio/bonus room and no real laundry room. The bonus room above the garage would be much more functional if you could get to it from the second floor. It could then function as a future playroom or guest room.

I agree that the master bed placement is an issue and the master bath looks a little cramped. Pesonally, I would get rid of the tub in the master bath. Put a nice tub in the kids bath and you can use that. I would then change the acess to the master closet to the bathroom. That opens up that wall for a bed.

The kitchen, I would swap the range and the sink. You will need to change the windows so that there is a window on either side of the range. I'm not a big fan of ranges on the island. Ventilation is difficult.

o

I like this plan and live not far from you---I totally understand the NEED for a mudroom.

But, I am not sure you need the full bath where it is downstairs. It is your only bath downstairs. Do you like to send your guests through the mudroom to get to the bath?

I also feel like the laundry is in a very weird place. The dryer will have a really long/weird path to vent. And, when the machine is running, if not really bulked up in the floor joists, it will vibrate your entire downstairs since it is centered!

I wonder if somehow you could rearrange things to get the stairs where the bathroom downstairs is, and put the bathroom where the stairs are... Just wondering out loud. No idea, off hand, how to do it.

o

I like it overall. We have three little ones and are just beginning to build a similar layout. Not sure what type of a budget you are going for but there is quite a bit happening with the roof lines, and also there is quite a bit of living space on the first floor that could definitely be modified to control cost.

We are building a home with the kitchen, dinning room, and family room in a straight line along the back side of the house too. We ended up putting out master on the first floor instead of that additional common space and office. If I were going to have the master upstairs I would connect the upstairs to the bonus area and try to remove the front half of the house (living room and office).

We had a hard time finding a layout like this so we ended up getting our home designed. If we had seen this it probably would have been our favorite but we would have needed to modify it to fit our budget.

Nice find!

o

I love the kitchen /pantry combination. I think it'll be an attractive look: The island, the lovely window sink behind it. I do see one problem in the kitchen, but I don't have a solution: Your refrigerator is in the corner, which means you won't be able to open the door all the way. My current refrigerator is in this position, and it is a constant annoyance. The worst is trying to remove the shelves to wash them.

I also love the window seats in the family room. There's a name for that style seat -- something like ingelnooks.

What do you do with the ante-room? I suspect ante-room is a name for (expensive) wasted space.

Are you really going to use FOUR large public spaces? A family room AND a living room AND an office AND a second office/studio? Especially given that the kids each have their own bedroom upstairs for private space, it's excessive. I have three public spaces in my house, and my girls call the living room "the Christmas tree room" because that's its only purpose. I probably go weeks at a time without entering the living room.

I like the upstairs (the bedrooms are spacious but not overdone) . . . except for the laundry closet. One expects a laundry closet in a starter house, but this isn't a starter house. You're constantly going to have piles of dirty clothes waiting in the hallway. You could fix this by stacking the machines; that'd give you a very small area where you could have loads waiting to go into the machine. Or you could cut into what's now the master bath shower to increase the size of the laundry room . . . if this makes the master bath too small, you could steal some space from the closet behind the master bath. If this were up to me, I'd give up a little closet space to gain a more comfortable laundry room. I personally don't care about an oversized laundry room with miles of counterspace, but I do want SOME space for sorting /folding, and at this point you have NONE.

In the kids' bath, I'd lose the double sinks. Double sinks = no drawers /no storage space. When they're older, two girls will want the space for make-up, curling irons, etc. more than they'll want to be able to use the sink at the same time. Who says this? The mom of two teenaged girls.

Finally, although I like the floorplan, I'm not wild about the exterior elevation. I lived in a neighborhood of similar bungalos when I was a kid (all nice houses in the 3000 sf range -- ours had 7 bedrooms), and they're all square (or very near square). A long one with an attached garage looks out of proportion to me. In my experience, this style of house has a detached garage set back a bit, usually connected to the house by a covered porch.

o

It's one of the better stock plans on the market, IMO. The plan and elevations work well and are flexible for changing life-styles.

The one downside is that as soon as one steps inside the front door they are immediately in the living room--there's no transition, no privacy, just BAM!, into the living room. If it was my house, I'd mirror the wall and glazed French doors of the office/study to create a "parlor"-library-music room, using the family room as the primary living space (which it's likely to be anyway).

Good luck with your project!

o

Lots of good points made already. Initially I agreed with the others about just doing a powder room on the main floor, but then I thought about your rainy/muddy area and the fact that you might have dogs. That tub could be used to wash the dogs.

o

The tub on the main floor is also important should you ever need to live on the the main floor (for temporary or permanent disability/injury), also.

o

I think the proper spelling may be "bungalow", but who's got a spellchunker that works?

o

Wow thank you all so much for all your great feedback. matt_in_ks would LOVE to see what plan you guys came up with...sounds like we are similar wave lengths.

Yes we want to keep the full bath (or maybe 3/4 bath) on the lower level for dealing with really grimy people/pets that come in from outside and also we will likely make the office a guest room/office as we don't have much need for a large formal office (and also the mention if we get too crotchety to walk up stairs we could use the office as our bedroom). The laundry situation would definitely need to be rectified- it is precisely what I have now and I hate it. I don't need a palatial room but it needs to be close to an exterior wall...our run is so long now it takes 2 cycles to dry sometimes. And nowhere to fold clothes- piles everywhere. Neither DH or I are clothes horses so one of the closets can be cut way down or even used as the laundry I think. That one closet is bigger than what we have now. Or I would be open to moving it down stairs- saw the coolest laundry chute in a bungalow in this months This Old House magazine- I think it went from the top floor the basement. Though I like the idea of entering the closet from the master bath to make a wall larger enough for a king (we don't have a king bed) I have my heart set on a clawfoot tub. I don't think I would want it in the girls bathroom because I don't really care for the showers that are attached to clawfoot tubs. I do think the kitchen needs a little tweaking too- what the wonderful kitchen forum is for right?

We own the land outright and were hoping to keep the house part of our mortgage around $250-300,000 (maybe not realistic with this plan). We have a 650 foot driveway to build, septic, well all that good stuff so want to keep the total mortgage under $400,000.

o

Our last house had the main entry from the outside directly into the living room and it drove me crazy. It may not matter for you if you can train your family/friends to use the mud room entrance, but we get a lot of door-to-door sales people at our house and I would have loved more privacy.

Can anyone share insight as to how difficult it would be to heat and cool the office space above the garage with no attached second story? I have considered a similar setup for our new house and it worries me a little.

Can I also ask where you originally got this plan? I would love to look at the specs. It is very cute.

o

Our last house had the main entry from the outside directly into the living room and it drove me crazy. It may not matter for you if you can train your family/friends to use the mud room entrance, but we get a lot of door-to-door sales people at our house and I would have loved more privacy.

Can anyone share insight as to how difficult it would be to heat and cool the office space above the garage with no attached second story? I have considered a similar setup for our new house and it worries me a little.

Can I also ask where you originally got this plan? I would love to look at the specs. It is very cute.

o

Looking at it again, I like the full bath on the first floor by the garage. It gives you the option of using the room over the garage as a separate small apartment/living space. This would be great if the kids moved home during college summers or after.

o

The challenge of heating and cooling a room over the garaage is less about how to get the HVAC system to the room, and more about how to properly seal and insulate the room and the garage so tha: 1) carbon monoxide from car exhausts doesn't reach the room; 2) a 1-hour seperation is achieved between garage and habitable space; 3) bedroom has two legal exits; 4) the HVAC system is economical to run.

All of this can be done if it's planned in the beginning. It's much more difficult and costly if it isn't done during construction and attempted years after.

o

Sure thing supergrrl7 here is the site: http://www.thehousedesigners.com/plan/bungalow-3180/

The living room in general is the thing I like least about this plan probably. Not only do I not feel it is not really necessary space I am not fond of the entry directly into it. I do suppose though if we never go in it it will always look "company presentable" lol. Oh we won't have many random people coming to the door...part of the reason we are moving out to the boonies. I do just love the front porch though and a place to put a swing just like my grandmother had... If anyone has come across similar plans I would love to take a look.

Great points on the room above the garage Virgilcarter will definitely take that into consideration.

o

I have a problem walking right into the living room. I would prefer some kind of an entry.

o

i'd plan to use that living room as a master bedroom for myself if i couldn't climb stairs and didn't want to leave my home. either way it would benefit greatly from an entry way into that room.
i'd replace the pantry with a full bath and laundry. and locate the pantry in that full bath space next to the garage. that's good if you tend to buy case goods too and more the better if you can keep a powder room close to the garage too!
it's an adorable house overall.

o

I have no idea if any of this would work for you or if it can be done. Just throwing out some ideas!

I'd make the living room the dining room. You can have a small walls put there to separate it from the entry and have a framed large opening into it. The pantry could then be a walk-through into the dining room from the kitchen.

You'll likely have room at the bar for bar stools
so that would give you a place to eat casually near the family room.

I'd then move the family room closer to the kitchen. Maybe that would give you enough room to put the laundy near the mudroom.

But it looks like a great plan as is with some minor tweaks.

o

Kam, below is a link showing our elevations and floor plans if you look through the whole thread. It's quite a bit simpler than the house above. I could build my house for $225k in ks but will likely come in closer to $250k after some of the upgrades I want to do (r26 walls, lap siding on all sides of the house, Nice Marvin integrity windows, nice cabinet and trim details, etc.). I'm putting quite a bit of my own labor into finishing and wiring the home this summer to hit that price range. We have 11 acres that we're building on.

By the time we put the master on the first floor we felt like we had tons of room in the house so we vaulted our living room instead of using the entire 2nd floor. Hope this is helpful!

Here is a link that might be useful: Thread showing my elevations and floor plans

This post was edited by matt_in_ks on Sat, Feb 9, 13 at 21:56

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here