Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nepool

Adding a shed to new Build?

nepool
10 years ago

Hi,

I searched and didn't see this topic discussed on the building forum. Is everyone planning on storing all their 'stuff' in their garages, or are folks on here planning for a backyard shed?

I was wondering if its feasible to ask the framer or builder to include it with the bids for the house. I haven't asked yet (but will, although I may get laughed at if this is a stupid question). Has anyone approached their builders with this or are most people (who are planning on having a shed) getting a pre-fab or are building it themselves?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Comments (9)

• mushcreek
    10 years ago

So much really depends upon your individual property. Many places don't even allow sheds. We are in a rural area, so there is plenty of room for outbuildings, and no rules against them. If you are in a more upscale subdivision, first find out if they are allowed, and then plan something that will be appropriate for the neighborhood. If i were in a nice area, I would ask the builder to include one in the bid, with a matching fit and finish to the main house.

I feel a shed, especially a separate one, can be a real safety factor, as I always store all of my gas powered outdoor equipment in one. If there is a fire, at least I won't lose the barn or house.

Sheds can be a fun decorative element, as opposed to the hideous ones they sell at big box stores. Have fun with it!

• phd12
    10 years ago

We've got plans for a detached workshop (20' x 30' +/-) that we won't be able to build right away. However, we will include preparation of the building pad for the workshop as part of the grading work for the new house. We will also go ahead and have the conduit buried to serve water/sewer and electricity to the future shop. We would hope to finish the exterior of the shop to match the house.

The only hiccup may be in our loan process where the bank may get weird about those inclusions in the scope of work. But we'll cross that bridge when we get there.

• zippity1
    10 years ago

for the first time in over 40 years our house will have storage space in the attic of course i'll only be able to keep things there that will be able to handle the heat

we will also have a 32x60 ft shop for dh's toys and i maybe able to put a few things there as it will be airconditioned most of the time the shop sounds large til you try putting 3 antique cars, a motorcycle and boat and
    lawn equipment plus tools and equipment for a hobbist...
    so for the fime since we've been married i'll be able to collect "stuff" don't know if that's good or bad........

• bird_lover66
    10 years ago

I love the look of a well designed and landscaped garden shed, but they can be very problematic during hurricanes, unless built to the same code as the house. And most sheds aren't. :(

• nepool
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Good idea on having (at least) the gravel spread during site work of the house. I'm going to ask the framer if he'd consider framing out the shed too. If he says no, we'll probably spend the $3K on a prefab one.. they are pretty easy to find around here and there are many cute ones that could coordinate with the house. It just seems like it would be more cost effective to build it along with the house- but I bet these framers/siders etc... are not interested in dealing with small stuff like sheds.

• nepool
    Original Author
    10 years ago

No more comments on sheds?

• nostalgicfarm
    10 years ago

I can't imagine that a framer would give you grief. Its not like they are ciming out for just that job. It will be much more cost effective to have it done at the same time.
    We are putting up a barn and will probably level then pour the foundation for that with the house. Even the cement will cost less than the otherwise smaller project.

• annkh_nd
    10 years ago

My son built a 10'x12' shed for our church as an Eagle Scout project. It has a poured concrete foundation, a roll-up garage door, vinyl siding, and asphalt shingles. His total cost was just over $2000, though he got discounts on materials, and all the labor was volunteer. There is no power to the shed.

I would at the very least pour the foundation for the shed during home construction, and I'd probably build the shed myself (it was actually kind of fun - "some assembly required - extreme edition"!) The lumber yard did make roof trusses for my son's shed, which was a huge help.

My only concern, especially with new construction - is that I would try very hard to figure out how I would landscape, before siting the shed.

• joyce_6333
    10 years ago

We had our builder put up a one car garage to the side of our new house for all those things that DH just couldn't fit into his 40' garage (note the sarcasm here!). I do like that the gasoline cans and propane tanks (for the grill) are not stored in the garage attached to the house. It has actually been great place to store the lawn mower, snow blower, chipper, golf cart, grandkids 4 motor bikes, the 14 bikes hanging from the ceiling, all theyard/garden tools, and storage for all the yard furniture during the winter. Can you tell the "shed" is already full!

My only concern about the "shed" is that I asked that it be done with the same siding, roofing, and garage door as the house. Much to my chagrin, DH opted for a siding that looks similar, but was much less $$. It's ok, but I really wish it was the same.