Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sales Tax on rental equipment! - California

Posted by mikeyvon (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 29, 08 at 17:13

Just wondering if you guys pay sales tax on rental equipment. We just returned our scaffolding and had to pay sales tax. We argued with them but they made us pay it. Funny thing is we did not pay sales tax on the forklift we rented.

What are your experiences?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sales Tax on rental equipment! - California

I occasionally rent a 1-1/2 yard pull behind mixer where they mix up the concrete at their yard, you pull and pour out your project, clean it and return. They charge tax for the mixer and tax again for the concrete. Figure that one out...I cant!

o

Rentals get taxed here. In California it appears that whether tax needs to be collected from the renter depends on whether the owner paid tax on it when they purchased it for rental use. If they paid tax on it, they don't need to collect tax on the rental. If they exempted out of paying the tax, they must collect it.

o

Rentals get taxed here in SC, too.

o

It appears more and more states are changing to the model of taxing not only goods, but services too. Ohio, for example, charges sales tax on leases, rentals, home repairs, car washes, landscape services, employment placement, janitorial services, fitness clubs, haircuts, dry cleaning, warranties and service contracts, just to name a few. Michigan just followed suit and is doing the same. I know Indiana and Kentucky did so a couple of years back.

I think it's their way of having us taxpayers pay for poor budgeting, but I digress ...

I'm waiting for them to enforce sales tax on internet sales. That will get a lot of people really mad.

o

Does anyone have any information on sales tax on rental equipment in Idaho? I am getting married in Washington and I am using a rental service in Idaho and they are charging me sales tax.

1) Does said tax apply to rental equipment?

2) Does sales tax apply to people outside of the state?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here