Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
graceshan_gw

what size & where to buy decent mirrors over vanities

graceshan
12 years ago

Our electrician wants to know what size mirrors we'll be putting over the sinks in the bathrooms and I'm having a hard time figuring out where to find some decent simple mirrors online... a step up from the sheets of mirror but not overly fancy decorative mirrors. I notice Restoration hardware has some simple mirrors but they are still a bit pricey and I can't determine what size to get.

House style - coastal craftsman with chrome fixtures in baths

Master bath has 2 48" vanities and kid's bath has 60" vanity with 2 sinks. Powder room vanity is 36".

Any advice?

Comments (11)

• ILoveRed
    12 years ago

I have the Restoration Hardware oval mirrors in my master. Very nice. Let me know if you want a pic and how I determined size.

• pps7
    12 years ago

Ours are from RH, overstock, home goods, and antique malls. Shop around!

• mydreamhome
    12 years ago

Ours are from GardenRidge & Lowes. Size wise, we have 3-36" vanities each with a different size framed mirror--32"x42", 34"x45" and 35"x48" (measurements are frame dimensions). Our master bath has a 6.5' long vanity with 2- 34"x45" mirrors. Our builder had used the same mirrors we used in our master in his Parade house last year over the 48" vanities and they looked fine. I'm guessing the electrician wants to know the mirror size so he can locate the vanity light wiring in the proper spot. We ended up placing all of vanity lighting at a height of 52.25" from the top of the 4" tall backsplash (56.25" from the countertop). Our ceilings are also 9'. Hope this helps!

• carpecattus
    12 years ago

A few suggestions... There's a Restoration Hardware outlet at the Tulalip Outlet mall so you might find a few deals there. ( I remember you mentioned living in Edmonds, so it might be worth the drive up north.) Or, as Babs suggested, having a glass and mirror shop custom make a nice beveled mirror is very reasonable. When we remodeled our master bath we made a frame with some nice trim/molding that we bought from our cabinet maker (to match our cabinets) and had a mirror with an extra large bevel to fit in the frame. For our guest bathroom I found a simple, wide, solid wood, oversized picture frame at Aaron Bros. on sale for $20, and a local glass shop put a beveled mirror in it for me for $40. It looks fabulous! (We used a metal bracket called a hangman which makes it easy and safe to hang large, heavy objects.)

In regards to the size, personally I think bigger is better, especially vertically. I've always noticed nicer hotels have wonderfully large mirrors - they really add a feeling of spaciousness to what are usually small rooms.

• graceshan
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Wow, thanks everyone for the help and suggestions! I never thought about having a local glass shop do it or even to look at Lowes. With the new baby it's been hard for me to get out of the house, so I've been focused on online shopping. Thank you Babs for the list too! I love this forum :)

Also, does anyone know if you can put the vanity lights that go overhead on top of a tilting type mirror (like the ones from RH)? Or does the tilt get in the way? Most photos I see lights on either side.

Thanks again!
    Shannon

• michoumonster
    12 years ago

during my last remodel, i got custom sized mirrors cut at a local glass shop. it was very inexpensive. maybe $50 each mirror at most. then i had my contractor glue them on the wall and tile around them in pencil molding tile that matched the rest of my bathroom tiles. a very nice custom look for not a lot of money.

• nini804
    12 years ago

I was also going to say that similar to Michou, I had the builder order large mirrors for the children's baths, and the trim carpenter made custom frames for them using my door casings....they look lovely! And it didn't cost much...the wood was here already, as was the carpenter. I didn't want to go that route in my master because I wanted to go a little dressier looking, plus my casings are really wide and it would have meant I wouldn't have had enough room to mount my sconces. I had the mirror guy make a custom mirror that stretched the length of the vanity. It has a bevel, and I had the sconces mounted through it. It looks gorgeous, but it cost WAY more than I thought it would...I thought it would be economical, but apparently the bevel adds a lot. It is a good option for a double vanity where you want 3 sets of sconces and a lot of mirror. Oh...and in my PR, I was all decisioned out...I picked up a mirror from Home Goods! It is fine, but I will eventually change it when I find the perfect antique mirror for that space.

• Karen
    last year

@nini804 - I know it's been a long time since you posted, but would you be able to share a photo of your master mirror with the sconces thru the mirror? Thanks!

• nini804
    last year

@Karen sure!

This is a terrible pic, but you get the general idea.

Hope this helps! our house is 11 yo now…might be dated! 😂 We still love the big mirror and wouldn’t change it.

• Karen
    last year
    last modified: last year

@nini804 Thank you; this helps. The bevel really adds a nice touch. I think larger mirrors make the room look larger (and my bathroom is only 5x10).

Sponsored
Prime Custom Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars43 Reviews
DC Metro's Award Winning Custom Design, Build, and Remodeling Company