Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need help fast, in the middle of framing!

Posted by lexmomof3 (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 9, 13 at 16:27

We're in the middle of framing and I made some "red-line" changes to a stock plan. One of the changes caused the bathroom door to be smaller than I expected and we didn't realize this until it was framed. There is a bedroom "suite" that will be my 2 yr old's room. The bathroom and closet isn't really "in" the bedroom, it's in an adjoining entry/hallway to the bedroom. It is set up with two doors to the "suite". One is a pocket door that will close off the "suite" when we have guests spend the night and then there's another door that enters the actual bedroom. I like this setup because the bathroom can serve as an everyday guest bathroom and bathroom to that bedroom but I'm worried about the narrow door. Also, because of the limited space available for the pocket door, the pocket door opening, which is directly across from the door to the bedroom doesn't line up exactly. They are about 4.5" off center from each other. So...I'm wondering if I should move the door to the bathroom into the bedroom, eliminate the pocket door and make that the door to the bedroom. The drawings will hopefully make this clearer. Please take a look at drawings and let me know what you think. How would you feel about making the powder room by the side porch the guest bathroom? This picture is the original placement. I'll post my new proposed placement next.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need help fast, in the middle of framing!

Should we move the door into the bedroom?

o

I'd do whatever it takes to get a hinged 32" door (min)into the bath. You certainly don't need the pocket door.

Nothing wrong with guests using the powder room past the stairs. It's the usual location in many cases.

Good luck with your project.

o

Nowadays most parties are around the kitchen island and yours is a very nice one. It is actually easier to use the powder room that the guest bathroom.
The guest suite is nicer with the private bathroom - and you will save a door.

o

Is the room for a guest or your child? I had to give up my bedroom to guests as a child so it was decorated as a guest room instead of my room so I felt like guest.

A guest will certainly need a full bath so the location of the power room is of no consequence.

The bathroom lav can be pushed into the bedroom 6" even if the toilet is installed. Otherwise, I believe a 24" bathroom door is still legal and people who seek the use of a bathroom are usually highly motivated and will find a way to get through it. If you ever need a HC bathroom you would have to renovate the bathroom anyway.

o

Renovator 8 - the bedroom will be used for my 2 yr old now and will be decorated as such. When my 9th grader goes to college in a few years, it will become her room. My parents live far enough away that they spend the night when they visit but at this point, climbing the stairs to stay in one of the kids rooms upstairs isn't a problem. This will be a house that we plan to stay in for the next 20 years, so
I want to have a guest room on the first floor that my parents can use later in life.

As for guests using the half bath, I mean neighbors, local friends over, etc.

o

Who told you a 24" door was needed?

It appears to me that a simple redesign of the bathroom is all you need. Not only might the shared wall be shifted a small amount but many lavatory & vanity designs would allow a 30" door which is adequate for a standard wheelchair to pass if operated by an attendant which would be the case since this bathroom design will not allow unattended use by someone in a wheelchair.

o
also

You should not put a toilet against the living room wall in this bathroom or the Master Bathroom.

Perhaps you could post the bathroom plan large enough for us to see why only a 24" door will fit.

o

So the bathroom appears to be 5' (60") wide. If the vanity is 21" deep, that leaves 39" to fit the doorway. Usually you'd plan for 6" on either side of the door for trim and a small strip of drywall which would leave you 27" for a door. I'd see if the framers can redo the door framing and skimp on /eliminate the exposed sheetrock on either side of the door on the interior of the bathroom. Even if the trim work has to be cut into some on the bottom to accommodate the vanity, its not a big deal. That should solve your problem pretty easily & without too much hassle.

When you had originally posted your plan many months ago, I had commented that most guests would likely use the powder room off the mudroom, so I really don't think that's a big issue either way you go.

Hope this helps!

o

I suspect there is something else happening on the hallway side that prevents the door from being located as tight as possible to it, perhaps a baseboard heating unit or a towel warmer, etc.

Otherwise someone is pulling the OP's leg about the size of the door.

Here are two ways to use a 30" door:

o

Yes, the bathroom is 60" so I guess that I just assumed that they couldn't fit more than a 24" door since that is what they framed but the plan calls for a 28" door. I'll ask my builder if they can re-frame it to accommodate a larger door. Maybe we'll just eliminate the trim on that side and get to a 30" door.

o

There is no need to eliminate the trim or measure the existing framing; you just need to add up the dimensions (3.75" trim + 30" door + 3.75" trim) - 60" room width = 22.5"

If you choose a lav. and vanity (or a pedestal lav.) that is no deeper than 22.5" you are done. There are countless ways to meet that requirement. The pedestal lav. I drew is only 20" deep and the vanity top with the underhung lav. is exactly 22.5" deep but I set the wall back 4" to allow a 32" door and avoid a tight fit between the counter top and the trim.

However, if a family member becomes wheelchair bound in the future it is highly likely that they would use a motorized chair which can go virtually anywhere able-bodied people can go except stairs and possibly showers. And ramps can be much steeper. Toilet transfer must still be thought out carefully.

I have a client who has started using a motorized wheelchair since out first project. I am now modifying his residence for him. His mobility is astounding and I have to run to keep up with him which seems to amuse him.

o

There is no need to eliminate the trim or measure the existing framing; you just need to add up the dimensions (3.75" trim + 30" door + 3.75" trim) - 60" room width = 22.5"

If you choose a lav. and vanity (or a pedestal lav.) that is no deeper than 22.5" you are done. There are countless ways to meet that requirement. The pedestal lav. I drew is only 20" deep and the vanity top with the underhung lav. is exactly 22.5" deep but I set the wall back 4" to allow a 32" door and avoid a tight fit between the counter top and the trim.

However, if a family member becomes wheelchair bound in the future it is highly likely that they would use a motorized chair which can go virtually anywhere able-bodied people can go except stairs and possibly showers. And ramps can be much steeper. Toilet transfer must still be thought out carefully.

I have a client who has started using a motorized wheelchair since out first project. I am now modifying his residence for him. His mobility is astounding and I have to run to keep up with him which seems to amuse him.

o

Thanks for you help. I decided to ask them to move the door into the bedroom and eliminate the pocket door. My husband preferred that placement of the door better and I was bothered by the fact that even if they did enlarge the door to the bathroom, the opening for the pocket door and the opening to the bedroom directly across would be off by nearly 5 inches.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here