Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
garrell house plans (amicalola & etc)

Posted by SilverSpurTrust (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 4, 12 at 16:18

We should all start a support group for Garrell house plan owner/builders. Lol They're beautiful, but complicated and expensive! We're going to be our own GC and are in the planning & budgeting stages (working on take off estimates, getting bids from subs, writing specs, etc.). We've had some sticker shock on the wood truss/posts/beams, but those really make the plan so we'll just have to see if there is somewhere else we can save some money (like leaving the basement unfinished to start). Always has to be some give and take. This is our third house we've literally built on our own together w/o killing each other...yet. ;)

We've purchased the Amicalola Cottage house plan from G&A and are waiting on to get the modifications back from them so we can really get rolling. We've been lucky enough to find and tour some similar G&A house plans, which has really helped us get a little better feel for the actual spaces.

We'd welcome any suggestions on ways to save money when building this house plan (still keeping the integrity) &/or a heads up for anything we should specifically watch out for on this house plan. We're all ears (or eyes in the this case)! :)

Thanks,
N

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: garrell house plans (amicalola & etc)

help us out with a link

o

Think this was the original G&A plan: http://www.garrellassociates.com/floorplans/amicalola-cottage-05168

This is the one we're starting from, but making modifications to: http://www.architecturaldesigns.com/mountain-home-plan-15662ge.asp

This is the one that I'd like to make the outside look more like: http://juddbuilders.net/bm/completedprojects/

Plan to use stained cement shake siding instead of the cedar shakes for less maintenance and upkeep (+ they looked great the house like this that we saw in person).
*So far got quote from - http://www.carolinacolortones.com/home/

Plan to cut down on the number of decorative ceiling truss in the Lodge Room (5 is too many and too much $$$$....3 seems more feasible)and hopefully VE some of the others.
*Got $$$$$ quote from - http://www.accenttruss.com/
*Waiting on quote from - http://www.southernwoodcraft.net/default.aspx?pagename=Internal
*Waiting on quote from - http://www.carolinatimberworks.com/Welcome.html

Whatcha think? :)

o

Hi Guys -- we also have a Garrell plan (a customised Amacalola Cottage). We sat down with their architect in Suwanee GA last year and as for trusses they have a guy in SC that has all this computerised so he can cut them much cheaper than doing it as a one-off (Jim Diffenderfer at Accent Truss www.accenttruss.com). We will build it next year in north GA (assuming we can find a master-builder!), but builders I talked to last year said Garrell were a lot easier to build than a lot of others from magazines. They have built this house hundreds of times in GA in various forms -- let me know if you want some more links. We just can't wait -- currently living in London UK with a British husband (I'm a Georgia girl) and can't WAIT to get a proper house!

o

We used Garrell as well, our starting plan isn't on their site anymore.

I hope you drive a Smart Car, cause that garage won't fit SUVs. If you have more than 3 ft of drop from the house to the garage, the steps will cut a big piece of the garage out too.

Arched/Half Round windows = $$$. Save some money by making the garage and MBR arched windows inoperable.

Curved wall (especially exterior) = $$$.

o

Thanks for your post 46Brits. Check your email for my reply. :)

Oh lordy, bdpeck-charlotte. Of course we have a big truck and a mid-size SUV so thanks for the heads up on that. We'll have to make sure we allow for those in the garage layout.

Thanks for the tip on the garage & MBR arched windows! Good call!

Yeah, I figured those curved walls in the Breakfast Area & Basement Bar would get us. Guess if we have to we'll straighten those out.

o

Good ideas, and thanks for info re garage. Another place we economised on our Garrell plan was by cutting out the curves (replacing them with squared-off angles) and removing many of the insets in the footprint. The builders we spoke with also said to simplify the footprint (not so much the roof line) and it would come out cheaper per square foot. Garrell can, of course, also 'shrink' the whole thing using AUTO CAD -- taking out a foot here and a foot there, we now have just 2,500 s/f on the main level (with corresponding room sizes in basement) and still have large rooms.

o
Amicalola

We are building this plan now in the Charlotte, NC area. Some of the steps we have taken (or still thinking of) to reduce cost include...

[Note that some of the changes were also intended to make the plan feel more like a 'lake' home and less like a 'mountain' home. Also, we are building the plan without the basement.]

o removed the wall divider between the kitchen and the lodge room - reduced cost and created a more open, transitional feel
o eliminated the half columns in the foyer
o replaced the cedar columns on front porch with myratec; columns will be painted, not stained
o roughing in the guest suite above the garage; will finish later, sorta 'phase II'
o eliminated the full Accent truss/beam/trim package due to $$$ but will likely add back two trusses in lodge room and the scissors truss in the foyer
o changed the window plan in the breakfast area to use standard sized windows, straightened out the wall
o eliminated the 'cupola' in breakfast area ceiling
o upgraded OSB to TechShield type product to reduce heating and cooling costs
o eliminated the sink in the Butlers Pantry,kept the cabinets
o eliminated the 'bar' off the study and re-purposed that area into a small office with pocket door

That is just a quick list. We've made other 'value' adjustments but I just can't think of all right now. Will post more as I have time.

If anyone finds a good alternate source to Access Truss, please let me know. That is our next most pressing decision as we move to framing in another week. Thanks!

o

Thank you so much bythenbrs!
Sounds like some great ideas so we'll definitely try some of 'em for sure. :)

We're leaving the basement unfinished to start with (just roughing it in) so that will be our phase II down the road. ;)

Sorry to be a little dense here, but are you talking about the decorative Accent Truss in the exterior gables and interior ceilings or the Access Truss in the actual roof framing?

If it's the decorative truss you mean, I have a list of links in one of my previous posts here to three different companies (although we've still yet to get a quote back from two of them....will keep everyone posted on that).

o
re: garrell house plans (amicalola & etc)

Oh & btw....here are some links to sites for doors & windows that we're getting quotes from:

http://www.sunmountaindoor.com/doors/about-our-doors/
(actually spoke to an owner of G&A similar house plan that used them and she said they were wonderful and had the best prices compared to other quotes they received).

http://www.etodoors.com/

Y'all feel free to also share any links to suppliers/companies for quotes please. :)

o

Okay...ONE more thing....if y'all haven't already found the FREE website FLOORPLANNER.COM, you have to check it out!

It allows you to overlay a floor plan and then draw over it to modify it as you please (adjusting the transparency as needed).

WARNING: It is VERY addictive and you will probably make many more changes to the house plan than you originally intended! I woke up at 3AM the other morning going over the layout in my head so I got up and made a few MORE tiny changes (someone stop me please)! haha

I think (or at least hope) it's helped us show G&A exactly what we want thus far so they can finish the modifications on our plans. I just hope they hurry up before I change anything else! Lol ;)

o
Trusses

Sorry to be unclear. Meant decorative trusses in the lodge room. Most likely will install two, not the full set shown in the original plan.

We have pricing through our builder for the decorative trusses from Accent Truss but gosh darn, these things are expensive. We really would like to find a more economical source... sigh

o

No worries bythenbrs. I figured that was probably what you were talking about....just wanted to be sure. :)

I'm totally with ya on that. We're going to reduce the number of trusses in the lodge room as well. We were shocked by the quote we received from Accent Truss. I'm hoping one of the other companies will come in with a lower figure, but who knows. I'll keep ya posted.

In the meantime, guess I'll just keep searching the internet.

Feel free to let me know if you find a more economical source first though. :)

o
Other Value Adjustments

Forgot to mention that we had the architect do a major redo of the original master bathroom. Deleted the barrel ceiling, replaced the 'coffin' tub with a traditional garden tub, relocated the tub to where the shower was on the original plan. Last, the shower was reduced in size and relocated. This squeezed out alot of $$$ and made the master bathroom more practical.

o

Glad to find this sight and enjoyed all the above posts. We purchased 40 acres 2 years ago and planned to build a home. After looking through 1000's of plans we kept going back to the amicalola. Beautiful...we purchased plans and then found out how expensive it was going to be :( The ups and downs of whethere to pursue it or not has been a big dilema. We found another plan very similar to layout and exterior decor and purchased that plan. We are going to break ground in the next few weeks after talking to about 5 builders. We know it will be expensive and will cut back where we can. I would appreciate any pics anyone is willing to share no matter what stage you might be in.
Thanks and best wishes to all of you in the process

o

This is a great thread with many wonderful suggestions. A few months back I asked G&A to send all versions of house plans they had for this house...wow!! Lately I have seen a few newer versions. Would love to build this house, still working on DH, as it has come down to two plans. All your helpful insights and suggetions are greatly appreciated.

o
RE: links

46 brits
i would love to see the links you mentioned that builders have built this house several times in sc. I have happened onto a few by searching realty for sale
Thanks

o

Here are a few links that were listed on another thread, not sure they are all still active.

http://www.swaininchomes.com/
http://juddbuilders.net/bm/completedprojects/index.shtml
http://www.visualtour.com/shownp.asp?T=1803174
http://www.oldemill.net/realestate-nantahala
http://www.corbitthills.com/photogalleries/amicalola/amicalola.html
http://www.stephenkarlecontractor.com/gallery.htm
http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/220-Governor-Glen-Drive,--K-006_Sunset_SC_29685_1113081379?source=web

o

Thanks so much for all the posts y'all. Keep 'em coming. =)

o

rnfruita,
thanks for the links

o

Current residence: Chicago (northern burbs)
Remote build- under roof
Plan: Nantahala
FYI: Snapfish will not upload photos to GW, will post relevant photos in a few days.
Truss package: Accent Truss
Truss facts:
Douglas fur- stunningly beautiful kiln dried.
Payment: made to Mountain Venture, 3 payments.
Shipping: Doug fir arrived from Portland, OR. Well wrapped, 3 AT customer packages on one flatbed load. Lags and dowels arrived from SC. All truss packaging indicates Mountain Venture name.
Spec'd: 3 king trusses in Lodge room, plain beams on ext walls in room. Downsized posts in DR to 8 inch. Eliminated smallest gable trusses on front elevation. Eliminated king truss on rear elevation. Eliminated garage posts. Used 3 sissor trusses in foyer. 1 gable truss fabricated by AT, our GC fabricated all others, plus knee braces.

Planned:
Finish: exterior- Sikkens Cetol SRD semi-transparent.
Interior- half mixture of boiled linseed oil and mineral spirits.

o

Thanks so much for the post billygoatjoe!
Great info. and ideas. :)

o

So glad to see new posts with good ideas and suggestions. For lmiles111: We are building in GA, where Garrell is located, so lots of master-builders there have built their plans through the years. Tranquility (the 'mother plan') featured in a Street of Dreams sort of thing in Big Canoe in North GA mountains. The builder's site with some photos is here -- it's VERY high-end: http://danbuilds4u.com/

o
RE: Garrell Plans - trusses

For billygoatjoe: thanks LOADS for all this info re your truss package. I'm convinced Accent Truss is the only way to go because Garrell have an arrangement with them and they have all this on computer and the experience to do it properly without being on-site. Only other way to do the decorative interior trusses economically is if either your brother or your best friend can do it for you! Lots of you on this forum have said how expensive these trusses are -- can someone please give me some idea really of how much we're talking about here? It's the first thing we will look at when budgeting, but please give me a clue! We won't be at this stage for about 18 months, and since I'm located in the UK material and subcontractor selection is not something we can start until we get back to the US next year.

o
RE: Garrell Plans - bathroom modifications

SilverSpurTrust now has me addicted to the floorplanner.com website where I'm busily drawing fine details on our plan. Can anyone share specific drawings for what they've done to modify the master bathroom? We won't spend for the barrel ceiling there, and we have already modified a lot of it but always interested in seeing what others are doing.

o

to 46Brits thanks for info we had already found that one. we as well have searched internet intensely trying to find pics. After deciding Amicalola was way too big, expensive, etc and trying to incorporate another plan by David Wiggins-architect and 2 years later.. we called Garrell on Wednesday too see how much it would cost to get one of the smaller versions (Lakewood Cottage) We ordered that one which we should have done a long time ago. Delivered to builder today and we should break ground within next few weeks. I have a few sites that I haven't seen posted and if they have, sorry. You can go to Century 21 web page and enter columbus, GA and then 8004 Adelaide Dr. --Canton, GA 840 Waterford Estates,, Forest, VA 1131 Grand Oaks Dr. and also Realtor.com has one in Sunset. SC 220 Governors Glen Dr. Hope this helps
Keep up the wonderful commentsd

o

Plan: Nantahala (hip roof)

AT:
Approx 3000 board feet, S4S (sanded 4 sides)
1 - 6x heavy timber truss - $2400
(consider changing truss dimension if change #)

Purchased package, includes shipping.
Fabricated:
3 - 6x heavy timber trusses
1 - 6' gable bracket

Not Fabricated:
3 scissor trusses
15 - 8 x 8 posts (interior, exterior, covered porch)
(foyer downsized from 10x)
2 - 4 x 8 posts
10 - 4x braces (interior, exterior)
4 gable trusses (various sizes)
(eliminated 2 smallest gable trusses on front elevation; both gable trusses on rear elevation)
Approx. $19

Attempting to upload relevant photos from Picasa.
~bgj

o

From February 16, 2012

Without gable trusses installed; 3 faux windows will go in upper gables. Eagle windows.

From February 16, 2012

Screened porch. Rear elevation is 'Plan B' (without basement). Foundation will be painted stucco.

From February 16, 2012

Breakfast nook.

From February 16, 2012

Breakfast nook ceiling detail.

From February 16, 2012

Lodge room trusses in center of room.

From February 16, 2012

Master Bath vaulted ceiling.

o

billygoatjoe: Wow, thank you soooo much for the Truss info. & pics! Looks great so far! Keep 'em coming. :)

We should have our final modified Amicalola Cottage house plans next week. Then we have to get everything approved by the ARB (who knows how long that will take). Hope we can break ground by the end of March at the latest. I'll start posting pics thereafter.

In the meantime, I found a cool website called Olioboard.com where you can make a "mood board" or whatever ya want to call it. I put some of the finishes I want to use together to see how they fit. So far so good on that I guess.

Thanks again everyone for all the wonderful posts! It's so great to have a support group like this. :)

Here is a link that might be useful: My

o

Well I actually meant to post a pic of MY "mood board".
Let's see if this works. :)

Here is a link that might be useful: PIC of MY Olioboard

o

By the way.....ACCENT TRUSS came in with the BEST quote for the TRUSS out of the three we checked with.
Plus it makes me feel better to hear/see so many good reviews for them.

We weren't expecting JUST the TRUSS to cost as much as they do [$20K+ not including any of the many timber posts or wood shutters], but since they're a major part of this plan, we'll just have to make cuts in other part(s) of the budget somewhere.

Here is a link that might be useful: Accent Truss

o

For lmiles1111, thanks for links to these photos, and sorry you had already found the guy in Big Canoe. If you will put your email address onto your 'My Page' here in Garden Web, I will send you an email and info on how to look at 140+ detailed photos of that house. Think you made a good decision to go with the smaller plan -- we started with the Chestatee River Cottage version for ours.

o
RE: billygoatjoe's photos

Oh and neglected to thank billygoatjoe for super photos and detailed specs. Your AT trusses look AMAZING in the lodge room! I will be very interested in seeing photos of your progress, particularly reduced size uprights, lodge room ceiling and windows, and the barrel ceiling in master bath. You're brave to be doing the cupola ceiling in breakfast nook, and must have a superb builder.

o

billygoatjoe thank you for all the details and pictures, look forward to seeing your progress. SilverSpurTest your Olioboard looks like mine would look, beautiful choices and a great thread you started. Look forward to all the information.

o

billygoatjoe - How's your build coming along?
We'd love to see more pics if you have them and would like to share.

We start clearing the lot, grading and digging the foundation next week! I think the roof plan has scared a few framers/roofers so far. It amazes me how so many subs complain about not having enough work and then they either take forever to give a quote or they just blow it off completely.

I know we have a while before we get to the back elevated deck, but we've been trying to decide how we want to make it waterproof underneath.

Trying to choose b/w one of these options:

*) Use some type of composite decking (which kinda worries me after reading all the horror stories on those) or wood decking (cedar or ipe) along with adding one of those under deck water drainage systems.

*) Use Duradek Tidedek 60 mil waterproof membrane system then tiling over it (which seems like less maintenance to me). http://www.duradek.com/DuradekUltraTiledek.html?

*) Use a poured stamped concrete deck (which would mean using metal floor decking and steel posts to handle the load).
We did a 2nd floor deck like this on our last house, but of it was no where near the size of what this deck will be.

I'd prefer whichever option will have the least maintenance, but I'm sure cost will be a factor in the final decision as well.

What do y'all think? :)

PS - Hope ya got my email laurajazz. :)

o

Should have new pix by week-end.

o

I just found this site today and am very pleased to see that others are building the Amicalola Cottage. Could you send the link on how to view the pics of the house with the modifications to the barrel in the master bath and kitchen. My husband are getting the bids to build our version of this house, and after reading some of the post I realized there was a lot to consider with this house that we haven't yet. I can't thank all of you on this site for your open and honest feed back. Look forward to sharing our progress as we look to build in the next couple of years in the cowboy capital of the would! Bandera, Texas" LOL

o

We also have ordered the amicalola plans and will break ground in the spring of 2013. I have cleared about 2 acres of a 5 acre wooded lot and am having the logs cut for the posts and beams required in the lodge room and foyer.

So glad I found this site!

The oak poplar and cherry seen here is 18"-30" in diameter. The panoramic photo makes them appear small.

[IMG]http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b307/cartod/Image-1.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b307/cartod/photo-106.jpg[/IMG]

I wonder how the beams will look in cherry or poplar instead of Douglas fir as shown in most of there photos?

Here is a link that might be useful: Building amicalola

o

Here is the beginning of a pile of logs I will cut into beams for drying in a greenhouse

Here is a link that might be useful: Timbers for Amicalola

o

Hi cartod, those timbers are gorgeous, thanks for sharing them, I hope all the success in your building the Amicalola. We on the other hand are still taking bids and suffering from sticker shock. lol

o

I have not yet got my first quote, can you tell me what price gave you ths shock?

o

Great pics cartod!
Good on you for using the trees from your lot for your posts and beams. Hopefully that will save you some moola and I'm sure they'll look great.

Welcome to my world cowgirl007!
I'm past sticker shock at this point and have moved onto the "I don't care what it takes, I just want to get this over and finished" phase! ;)

We broke ground around the beginning of this April and are just now about to have our all-in-one rough-in inspection (by the end of this week we hope)!
Being our own GC of course we have to compete with the big builders in our area to get and keep subs at our site (which is usually par for the course in construction anyway). It will be worth it in the end though b/c there is no way a full time builder would build this house for us for the amount we're going to build it for (b/c of course they'd understandably want to make a profit).
It's been a whirlwind to say the least so I haven't had time to check this site for a while or post any pics (I'll try to work on that).

I guess home building is kind of like childbirth....after a while ya forget how painful it was and think you want to do it again?!?! Lol There are a million decisions to make in a million different time frames. Even with all my spreadsheets and anal retentive organization, I've been more than frazzled at times.

WARNING: Make sure you check and double check your house plans for accuracy and scale!! We found a few errors as we were going along that we had to correct. Our framers were great at doing exactly what was shown on the plans...not so great at using their noggin' when things didn't seem to quite add up or make sense as shown. ;-/

Now we're trying to finalize our choice of exterior finishes asap.

Think we're going with the following:
*)Pre-stained cement siding shakes (in dark mahogany) from Carolina Colortones in NC (ask for Guy and tell him we sent ya).
*)Pre-stained cement lap siding in Barnwood (kinda looks like weathered wood) on back and side of house to save $$$.
*)Pre-painted cement Trim/Soffit/Etc. in Dark Bronze (same color as doors & widows).
*)Eldorado Shadow Rock cultured stone in either Bronze or Willow.
*)Poplar Bark Shakes inside the Gables (behind truss) - (probably from Parton Lumber in NC b/c better price than others).
*)Accent Truss has the truss we ordered 8 weeks ago ready to deliver as soon as we're ready for them (hopefully soon). *Of course we discovered a website for ProWood Market after we ordered the truss and could have probably purchased some for less, but thinking/hoping they wouldn't look as nice?!? (http://www.prowoodmarket.com/?gclid=CI-d8peHwLICFQcGnQodGCUAmw) We'll probably buy some brackets from there though.
*)Still trying to find a decent price for installation of metal (or copper) standing seam roofing on the shed roofs over front porch & garage. If not...may just have to shingle those.

o

Hi cartod, yes the sticker shock my husband and I got was around 675K not what we had been told before we bought the plans. After opening a salon in 03 I learned very fast about contractor mark up when I expanded the salon two years later I subbed out each faze myself and I couldn't believe the savings so we will probably go that route when we start the house. Thanks Silver Spur Trust for your tips on watching for errors, and I'm going to look into the truss company you found, when I first found our plans almost three years ago I called the company that did the trus' for the Amicalola and the price was more then half of what we are being told now. I'm not sure if it is because the builder put his mark up on it or the company has gone up which I find strange since the cost of lumber is at a all time low right now. We've decided if we build this house we are not going to change what we fell in love with in the first place. I look forward to the pics of any completed Amicalola's out there. I never could figure out how to open the ones above to see them. A little computer bassackward. LOL!!

o

Cowgirl. Thanks for the input. We were prepared when we paid 2500 for the plans for it to be an expensive home. But that is still a lot for such little space. Anyway, we are moving forward with the amicalola, removing the 3rd bedroom and making the garage bigger.

I think we will be doing the home in phases and trying to keep with the warmth of the original design.

I don't think I like all the trusses in the lodge room, and I don like it closed off from the kitchen. We are thinking of closing off the keep, and opening up the lodge room with no walls at all, and just another 10"x10" post separating the two.

We are still looking and deciding.

o

Hi cartod, sounds like yall are on the same page. We also closed off the third bedroom and made a garage for my husband to have his workshop and bikes. Sounds like you are in the redesign phase of the plans with garrell, we tweaked the plans to make a few changes, if you have not done this yet with the architect just a heads up they charge to change anything on the plans, it cost us an additional 3670 to make changes. The more you go back and forth with them the more it cost. So make your decisions before you ask for any changes. We thought our changes were small, like taking the wet bar out of the office closet and closing the access to the master bath so I could have a better vanity. the other change was to the upstairs, we didn't want a kitchen upstairs, we made the open room at the top of the stairs in to a bedroom and the back bedroom into a workout room and planing for the days we would be to old to climb attic stairs for Christmas decorations I found wasted space at the top of the stairs to the right for finished out storage. With the butlers pantry just off the kitchen is why we didn't see the need for a wet bar in the office closet instead we plan to have that wired for our printer, fax, safe, all the office stuff that seems to clutter it up with. We look forward to when we can start our home and just like you we will be doing it in phases. Where we are building we can't do the wood shingles on the outside, but that's OK they are not really my style.
I look forward to hearing about your progress, and I'm supper jealous of all the trees that you are able to use in building your home.

o

Cowgirl. Thanks for the input. We were prepared when we paid 2500 for the plans for it to be an expensive home. But that is still a lot for such little space. Anyway, we are moving forward with the amicalola, removing the 3rd bedroom and making the garage bigger.

I think we will be doing the home in phases and trying to keep with the warmth of the original design.

I don't think I like all the trusses in the lodge room, and I don like it closed off from the kitchen. We are thinking of closing off the keep, and opening up the lodge room with no walls at all, and just another 10"x10" post separating the two.

We are still looking and deciding.

o

I'm sorry for the double post. Im still learning this new sight.

Cowgirl, it sounds like your on top of it.

I'm not gonna break footer til feb, let's talk this project thru to make it right!

o

Thought some may enjoy seeing the timbers that Im goona use for the posts and mantles for the house. I'm thinking I will have the pros do the ornamental gable trusses.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cutting the Timbers

o

This thread is fantastic...I am so happy to have found it...I am about ready to purchase the amicalola plan and cut ground in early November...I am building this just north of Charlotte in the Lake Norman area. I am just wondering if anyone else is around here building this or the tranquility.....

Our initial thoughts are that we are going to not do the beams in the lodge room...remove the wall between the lodge room and kitchen......ditch the study and put the stair layout from the tranquility.....rough the second floor for two rooms 1 bath, but finish later....and also just finish the basement later...... thoughts????

o

Hi ncsabreguy, welcome!, check with your builder on the cost of the second floor. We thought of doing that but the savings would not have been enough to offset the cost down the road. Two of the contractors we talked to said the second floor was only about 700 to a 1000 to build finish out, Also I suggest that you look for your lights and ceiling fans, facets, sinks that kink of stuff on your own it is way cheaper. The light fixture they show in the over the kitchen table in the Amicalola on line I found it for 6k at a local flee market I found the same fixture "brand new" for only 1500, if you get some of this before hand then what your builder allowed for in his bid can stay there as a reserve fund for those unexpected things not planed for. Good luck on your build.
Oh and cartod those are nice pics of the timbers you lucky dog.

o

I WANT TO BUILT THIS HOUSE WITH 2300-2400 SQ.FT. AND NO WALL DIVIDER BETWEEN KITCHEN AND LODGE ROOM. ALSO HAVE THE BREAKFAST MORE WITH STRAIGHT LINES BECAUSE A CIRCLE WOULD BE $$$$$...
ANYONE WILL BE KIND ENOUGH TO POST OR EMAIL ME AT choochoobyebye@hotmail.com the plan they might have done with similar sq.ft??? I have a home designer and he just draws what i ask him to without any suggestions so i need to get suggestions from here:) PLease help, thank you!

o

We're building the Rosemoore Cottage in Murfreesboro, Tennessee, just outside Nashville. We've experienced our fair share of sticker shock as the lumber and framing labor for a complicated layout and roofline is more than anticipated. We're almost done framing, though, so we're hoping costs stay in line for the remainder of the build. Thank goodness we had a nice cushion built in to the loan.

We redlined several changes to the existing floorplan - combined the mudroom and laundry into 1 large room, added a hallway to access the 1st floor study instead of having it open to the foyer, eliminated the 2 story great room so we have a TON of attic space (and future media room) above and rearranged upstairs to allow each bedroom to have a private full bath. We fell in love with this plan on paper and now that we can actually walk around the rooms I love it even more!

Here is a link that might be useful: Rosemoore Cottage

o

My husband and I just purchased 80 acres in Brevard, NC. After hours and hours of searching we have decided on the Amicacola cottage house plan. We are hoping to be breaking ground in March however we have our current home to sell. I would love any photos or suggestions anyone has on the plan. My email is divinitymorgan@yahoo.com

o

Hi Divinity -- just responded to your email. For the rest of you, we have just finished customizing our plan with Mike Garrell and eventually decided on Hot Springs Cottage II as a starting point. It is also in the Tranquility collection, but has a different layout. Mike can take the bits of the houses you want (like vaults and exposed beams) and put them together so a builder can actually build it. He didn't charge me a penny more than he said he would when we started the process in June, and we went back and forth numerous times before final. Yes, we spent right at $5k for the customized plan, but it is OURS and perfect! Would definitely recommend this route to anyone.

o

So after discussing with my wife, we decided to just build the tranquility plan instead of the Amicacola cottage. We are going to move the fridge to the other side of the kitchen and have wide open flow from the lodge to the keeping room. On the second floor we are putting two large bedrooms with a jack and jill bathroom for the kids....moving the master bath to the shower location and putting the shower where the shoe closet was called for. In effort to lighten the cost some, we opted to not do the trusses in the lodge room and the foyer, flatten the master bath ceiling and flatten the ceiling above the kitchen table. We are also removing the fireplace from the keeping room and outside, simplifying the ceiling in that room. We plan to use that as our TV room and neither of us are fond of watching TV above a fireplace, personal preference I guess. Like cartod above, we are milling cedar logs that are on the property for the beams and posts.....looks like ground breaking will be mid-November...needless to say we are getting very anxious...but boy did the cost of the tranquility plans hurt!!!!they are mighty proud of that plan and price it as such.

o

We have begun to flatten the top of the hill where the home will go. We have both decided that we have but one shot, and will be going all out on the build. Using the amicalola design we will be now going with the closed off lodge room to accommodate the fridge and opening up the keep. Both will have fireplaces. I really wish the plans were more detailed on the trusses in the lodge room. As soon as I ordered plans for the cottage accent truss contacted me with there truss package. $57,000. Nice! Now come to find out garrell and accent truss are buddies. How convenient. A good attorney could bite garrell hard IMO for not detailing the lodge trusses!

o

Cartod,
We reduced the number of truss in lodge rm from 5 to 3 to help with the cost, but ours still weren't anywhere near that much with Accent! I guess since the housing market is starting to turn around again prices are going back up?!? Btw....we heard drywall is going up 30% next yr too! We're about to start our drywall next week hopefully, but we may just go ahead and buy the drywall for the unfinished basement and store it down there if possible.
For Truss, try Carolina Timber Works, ProWoodMarket.com &/ or check around in your local area (some builders have subs that may be able to make them for you onsite).

To others above that I haven't had a chance to respond to yet, I'll try as soon as I can. Back at jobsite now so gotta get to work!

o

$57,000 is for all the trusses and all of the accent wood, just to clarify.

o

Has anyone completed their amicalola/tranquility house plan or know of one that my husband and I could see in person? I'd love to see one, at least from the ouside driving by, before we make a final decision.

o

Hello, we are wondering if anyone has ever used faux trusses/ beams for the interior or exterior when building any of the variations of the design?

o

What a great thread! We are in the early planning phases for our build and love the mountain lodge and craftsman style homes. The Garrell plans based on the Tranqulity plan are absolutely gorgeous, but the more I read it doesn't look possible to build one for $500-600k budget (not incl lot).

It would be really nice to get a better feel for cost to build before spending thousands on a plan. Has anyone used startbuild.com to get an early ballpark price range? I'd be happy for a guesstimate within $100k at this point.

A couple other thoughts on the Garrell plans:

- if you love the decorative trusses and beams and are not a purist it seems like you could wrap cheaper lumber with cedar for a similar look. Wouldn't be hard to come in under the $60k that the package is costing people!

- We are looking seriously at a 7 acre lot that has about 5 acres of mature white pine plantings. I actually needs a little cleaning for the lot. Any reason I couldn't use some of these timbers? The thought of just trashing them when we clear the lot makes me sick.

Finally, anyone out there that loves the Garrell/lodge/craftsman styles find other similar plans that were a little cheaper to build? Love to hear input from those with similar tastes.

Happy New Year!

Here is a link that might be useful: Here is an example of startbuild.com

o

Hi Shiltsy -- if you've read the full thread, you'll know the Tranquility is an expensive build due to its size, complex footprint and roofline, and also its interior and exterior details. As I said in October, we got Mike Garrell to customize a plan for us starting with his Hot Springs Cottage II. I never would have started there (didn't like the ceilings in photos on his website), but he made the interior like the Tranquility and exterior more like Hot Springs Cottage. It is a more compact footprint, less complex roofline, still just over 5,000 s/f on two levels. You didn't say where you are building, but my strong advice to you is this: (1) find a builder who has built Garrell plans and they will be LOTS cheaper because know their cost to build the swept roof lines and other oddities; (2) don't scrimp on the important bits like the exposed beams/trusses in lodge room (and please don't bring wet new pine timber, perhaps infested with creepy crawlies, into your new home to warp and twist -- make a loose fence with it) -- you can also use fewer beams on the exterior; (3) spend the money to get Mike Garrell to customize a plan for you and just bite the bullet -- if you really want one, you'll find the money! We're building next summer in North Georgia, still deciding on a builder but hoping to use someone that Mike knows and who has built loads of his plans, using fewer trusses on the exterior and getting them all from a local specialist who has supplied trusses for Mike's plans in the past on a very expensive Street of Dreams house. I am confident our build will not exceed $700k including pool, elevator, wine room, geothermal heat pump, solar panels etc etc. It can definitely be done, but it has taken over 2 years of painstaking research! Mike would probably let you see my plans if you were going to customize -- let me know if you want to do that and I'll tell you the name of them.

o

Started building a Tranquility variation - Lakeview Cottage - very similar to the Amicalola Cottage with modifications. Moved the Master Bedroom to the bottom floor and the two other bedrooms upstairs. Flattened the Master Bedroom Ceiling and the Ceiling in the Breakfast Nook. Added a door to the room underneath the Keeping Room to be used for an Office area and extended the porches on both floors so that we could have access from the bedrooms to the porches.

Would love to see photos of what others are doing with their plans!!

o

Started building a Tranquility variation - Lakeview Cottage - very similar to the Amicalola Cottage with modifications. Moved the Master Bedroom to the bottom floor and the two other bedrooms upstairs. Flattened the Master Bedroom Ceiling and the Ceiling in the Breakfast Nook. Added a door to the room underneath the Keeping Room to be used for an Office area and extended the porches on both floors so that we could have access from the bedrooms to the porches.

Would love to see photos of what others are doing with their plans!!

o

Hello All..Looks like there are a couple of people who are building variations of this Garrell plan in the Charlotte area..I would love to see pics and know who your builder is, me and my wife will be moving there within the next year and already have land. Please email me, my email address can be found in my profile...Thanks so much to all who share their knowledge.

o

My wife and I are starting to work with a local architect to draw up plans based on the general outline of this. 2 bedrooms on first floor, two on the second. Probably getting rid of a formal dining room.

o

Began the Amicalola project with some changes. Basement will be almost entirely underground with a walkout at the end only. We do not need the extra 3200 sf. For anything but storage workout facility and possibly a theater. We also eliminated the 3 rd main floor bedroom to accommodate the larger garage and rear entry. The home will now have two bedrooms on main floor and two upstairs bedrooms in the now larger bonus rooms.

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b307/cartod/photo_zpsaa33a477.jpg

Here is a link that might be useful: Basement walls

o

I also forgot to mention we changed lodge room trusses to two main trusses and two end caps. However we also changed the trusses to be made from 8 x 8's instead of 5x5's. They are massive but now, not so ornamental looking.

Here is a link that might be useful: Larger trusses.

o

Glad I found this site too! My wife and I have gone through hundreds of plans and through our process, ended up with the Amicalola. A Don Gardner plan came in second. We are planning on purchasing the CAD set and have our architects tweak some of our changes. Interesting discussion on the trusses. Still don't think if anyone has answered whether decorative or structural. My guess is decorative as folks are reducing the number and substituting, etc.

We would probably go for reclaimed timbers that have a rustic look. Some sites I found (some may have been listed above): http://antiquewoodworks.com/beams.shtml , http://vintagetimber.com/inventory/main.php?g2_itemId=14&g2_GALLERYSID=a8af24c7969f86d102d03dabed2c5932 , http://www.appalachianwoods.com/lumber/index.htm

We are planning on adding a 3rd car space and stretching garage out and having entry to garage from front. This makes bonus room above bigger, as a bonus!

o

Marsh_Florida, where are you building? The three truss companies you mention are all over the US and freight is astronomical on this stuff. If you're in the southeast, you might want to check this one as well: http://www.authenticpinefloors.com/ They are supplying reclaimed timber for our trusses and milling the reclaimed floor timbers. Some of the trusses are structural (particularly the one at the lodge room window, ours is a structural scissor truss), but most are not.

o

We are planning on building the Amicalola and would like to see it first. Does anyone know where me might see this house built in Tenn, Miss. or Alabama? We are located in NE Mississippi.

o

We're in SC if you want to see ours. I swear I'm going to post pics when I can (as I keep saying). We just got our C.O., but we're finishing up the hardwood floors (installing ourselves) so hopefully we'll be finished as far as the bank is concerned in the next couple of weeks. Then on to all the packing, moving, unpacking & decorating + more landscaping. The fun never ends. ;)

I think Judd Builders from NC has one or more built in TN (check their site - juddbuilders.net I think).

o

Local trusses would be the way to go. A builder mentioned manufactured as well.......

This post was edited by Marsh_Florida on Thu, Apr 25, 13 at 21:40

o

Here is photos of the build

Here is a link that might be useful: First floor

o

What did everyone do for the rock work around the exterior of the house? Would love pics if you have them.

o

I plan to build the Amicalola soon and was wondering....Have any of you built near Arkansas, Missouri, Alabama, Florida, Tennessee? I am planning a family vacation to south Alabama in a couple weeks and would love to see this plan in REAL life before we commit!

o

Found this builder who had some helpful photos of a garrell plan. https://www.facebook.com/pages/Fusion-Builders-Inc/172231929493883?id=172231929493883&sk=photos_stream

o

Found this builder who had some helpful photos of a garrell plan. https://www.facebook.com/pages/Fusion-Builders-Inc/172231929493883?id=172231929493883&sk=photos_stream

o

Heres our Amicalola after 3 months. Some of the photos are out of sequence.

http://s22.photobucket.com/user/cartod/library/Amicalola?sort=3&page=1

o

Heres our Amicalola after about a month. Some of the photos are out of sequence. We started March 15th. The roof is a challenge and takes a while because it has to be built by hand for the most part.

o

Greetings,

Wife and I fell in love with this house plan when it was featured in street of dreams @Big Canoe, GA. We are now getting to a point where our dream may become real but to be sure we can still afford it can anyone provide a rough estimate of the price per square foot to build. We are considering building the smaller Lakeview plan, though the added cost vary by builder of choice like the flooring, trusses mentioned, and other cost a ball park is all we are looking for or if you know the cost getting to a rough frame including site prep and cement would be helpful, please specify which. Thanks

o

Hi, we are in Maryland and we're dying to see one of theses houses in real life. We're willing to road trip quite a distance or use some southwest miles! Please email me via "my page" if you'd be up for a short house tour. I promise we'd make it a short! Thanks!!
Ps- I have a business and some other web presence that I could provide to verify who we are and not some random Internet freaks - lol.

o

we would love to be able to see an Amicalola house plan, we are in the Charlotte area, really need to see before we purchase plan. ANyone in the area that would welcome us for a few minutes? Or can recommend any builders in the area that have built this plan? Please email me at fordsmommy@gmail.com or my page here. Thank you Thank you Thank you.

o

6 months into the build. I'm in WV so if someone would like to see it email me. Cartod1@me.com.

o

More

o

Details

o

Radiant heat floors with indoor gas boiler and outdoor wood boiler. Boilers will heat floors/ hot water/ and heat exchangers in furnace. I have enough down wood on the property to heat home free for years. Will be using the heatmaster 10,000e wood boiler.

o

Use Andersen A-series windows and doors and built home exterior walls with 2x6's. We poured basement walls but will leave basement unfinished. Put one garage door in basement for easy access and storage. Eliminated all of the basement window except one for light. Garage access to the home will be in the back. Trusses in lodge room will be going in after the wood ceiling has been put up. Ceiling going in as we speak.

o

Wow that looks awesome! Thanks for posting pictures! Love the idea of boilers. Wish I could come to WV to see it! Please continue to post more pics and advice. Thanks!

o

Trusses going up on the new ceiling.

o

AWESOME!! We ordered our wood yesterday after a trip to Accent Truss in SC, very similar. Your build is looking spectacular!

o

Trusses Up!

o

Hello
I'm thinking about building the lakeview cottage. It's very similar to the nantahala Do anyone know the square footage of the deck or covered porch to any of the homes in the tranquil homes.

o

This is our very affordable version of chestatee. Ill post interior pics soon if anyone is interested.

o

What did you do to make it more affordable? Please post as many pics as possible!

o

Back view of the house from the dam

o

Lights on the front of the house

o

Board & Batten, exterior stone and most of the cedar shingle complete.

o

exterior posts

o

exterior posts

o

interior structural douglas fir post & beam in entry, dining & study

o

Looking GREAT!

o

REALLY looking great -- we should have some photos to post (at last) in another month or so as our framing begins first week of January. Trusses and beams ordered, windows being ordered today so now the fun part starts!

o

Love the pictures! For all those that have built the Amicalola/Nantahala plan or are in the process-- how do you feel about the kitchen space? Do feel like you have enough cabinet space? Enough natural light through the breakfast nook and the hearth room? We are looking at a variation on the plan and I would love some "real life" thoughts. Thanks!

o

Been awhile since I have posted pics. We are FINALLY in the final stretch. Moving in next Thursday

o

Dinning room

o

Master

o

Lodge room

o

First of all THANK YOU to all the wonderful people that have shared IDEAS, PIC's, LINK's, etc.. so many people to THANK- My wife & I along with our 4 children will start building in 1 year (just closed on the LOT - ELEVATED overlooking a Nature Preserve) we will be building the LAKEVIEW COTTAGE in MICHIGAN

couple of things we learned or changed

1. We got a 10% discount on the plans, our builder purchased direct from the co.
2. Extended the LODGE & Master Bedroom about 7 additional feet. added an additional foot to the NOOK -
main floor will be 2450, upstairs 589 -
Cost was very MINIMAL.
3. Removed deck by garage and added stairs going to lower level from open deck by Master Bedroom- saved $.
4. Turned the Butlers pantry/sink into a LARGER closed pantry.
5. Saved some money in keeping room, with coffered ceilings and dry wall.
6. Saved some $ with a Tray'd ceiling in master bath instead of the barrell.

* looking forward to sharing PIC & IDEAS for others -
ONCE AGAIN _ Thanks to ALL :)

o

Added a couple of the kitchen and master bath. http://ournantahala.blogspot.com/

o

Here is the link into photobucket if you would like to see progress to date. Just completed drywall.

Here is a link that might be useful: Amicalola

o

Laurajazz looks amazing I would love to see some interior pics tryn to figure out few ways to cut cost and keep the same detail of house

o
After Thoughts

Our Amicalola 'lake house' ...

We've been in for a little over a year and here are our thoughts, what we love and what we would do differently...

Love
Kitchen has more than adequate space; lots of cabinet storage
Very energy efficient, lowest utility bills/sqft compared to prior homes
DW loves the floor plan, says the house is 'comfortable'
Great for entertaining after removing divider wall between kitchen and lodge
Enlarged pantry by slightly shrinking laundry room; great trade off
Added vaulted ceiling to screen porch; w/ large screen TV, this is one of our favorite rooms and we use it as our primary dining room when weather permits
Went with two trusses in lodge room and DW loves it
DW is a retired Interior Designer; she replaced front porch cedar columns with painted myratec to achieve more of a lake house feel, appropriate as we live on a large lake; other changes to original plan to create a more casual and relaxed feel

What we would do differently
As others have said, garage is SMALL, would enlarge it
Went with 4' hardwood flooring; DW now says she wished we had used 5'
Not much to complain about, we love the house

Now that we have been in for a year, we are about to start the project to finish off the second floor 'apartment'. We are finishing it off pretty much per the original Garrell plan. We will act as our own GC for this. Love our builder, she did a great job on the house but we had her rough in the utilities during the original build so that we could finish this off ourselves.

Here is a link to a shared folder of our build. Hope it works correctly.

BytheNbrs

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/w6w75nkosdhu8e2/BxiSzmkvED

This post was edited by bythenbrs on Fri, Jan 10, 14 at 6:45

o

Bythnybrs wish I could get it to work but would not for me would love to c

o

Bythenbrs sorry I suck with electronics I would really like to see your photos of house do you think you could email them or post them

o

Taylor001
We are located in the Muskoka area of Ontario and have been following your posts with great interest as we too are looking at this plan. Could you please contact me with further details.

o

Dustin6

Just copy and paste the link into your browser address bar. DW made me double check the address and it will work just fine for you.

BytheNbrs

o

Alright I got it to work bytheNbrs looks amazing what state u build in. I would love to see a picture if your blueprint layout. Did you use real stone?

o

:Divinity:

Why did you put a wall up between the entrance and the dining room? Just asking....

o

Our old house was an open concept and we didn't like it. So we felt as though the half wall between dinning room and foyer would break it up some without taking up room. You can never have too much wall space

o

Can anyone let me know what type of cedar shake they used. Some of the cement cedar shake looks fake to me and I know real cedar shake take a lot of maintenance. We are starting out build in March. Can't wait. Appreciate all the great advise on here!!

o

We have gotten a quote on changes to get our plans wheelchair accessible. They have asked if we need stamped drawings or engineered drawings, and said that we don't get any structural plans. Did any of you have any problems with this? I've never felt so ignorant. We haven't chosen a contractor yet, but I guess I need to ask one of the ones we interviewed about all this. Can anyone help?

o

So glad I found this forum! I just sent in revisions to Garrell and am awaiting a quote. I'm combining the split bedroom plan of the Lakeview, expanding the room sizes and keeping the stairs behind the laundry area like in the Amicalola. The mudroom area will turn into a laundry and the laundry a pantry. I'm doing many of the cost cutting ideas mentioned above and pouring a slab and leaving the bonus unfinished. I'm still afraid of the cost! Someone asked if anyone had found similar plans and I am also interested to hear an answer. I've found the La Meilleure Vie to be the closest I've seen so far. But I'd want to expand it's living areas also, raise the foundation and dress the front to look more like the Garrell plan, and I'm afraid I wouldn't like the look of the kitchen at all. Any thoughts on this plan?
http://www.thehousedesigners.com/plan/la-meilleure-vie-2297/

Also, has anyone used faux beams for the living room trusses? I'd want mine stained a dark espresso so I didn't think it would matter that much, but I've never seen them up close.
http://www.fauxwoodbeams.com/beams-resawn-arched.php

o

NifferB -- We are considering a similar level of changes to the Amicalola (aka quite a few, mostly increasing room sizes and simplifying ceilings). Have you found Garrell good to work with on the changes? We considered going to a local architect, but I'm interested to hear how working with Garrell directly has been.

o

COtoOKhome- I haven't had that much interaction with them yet. So far, they've been quite friendly and the initial process very simple. Mid-week, they recommended I copy the brochure plan and send them mark-ups of the changes I wanted, via email. They will then send me a quote. It was too confusing to do all the mark-ups on the plans seeing as I was essentially combining two+ plans. So I had to do the mark-ups combined with the general layout to show where I wanted the rooms. I'm also doing things like moving the fireplace to the window wall and sharing the chimney with the outdoor space. I want to extend the vault over the exterior deck to make an outdoor living room, and on, and on. They haven't reacted negatively to what I sent them, by any means. It was a simple -Great! Thank you Mrs.B, we'll contact you shortly. If it's this simple to get an idea of the cost of making plan changes, it might make sense to make a list and mark-ups and send it to a few different pros for estimates. We're pretty close to Suwanee (I actually used to live there) so it makes sense for us to work with the original designer if we can. I have not heard back yet. I also did not send them the list of cosmetic changes, like flattening ceilings. It's SO many changes for us, and the cost of this plan is so high, that I'm still considering finding a plan that has the layout I want and adding detailing to get the look that drew me to this home.

o

Hi NifferB, my husband and I also made changes to the Amicalola house plans, we found working with Garrell and Associates was quite easy, but costly, we had to first buy the original and then pay to tweak them my advise if you do this take your time to make sure of the changes you want to make because every time you submit a change they charge for it, and as detailed as we thought we were we found after each rendition something else that needed to be done. Our plans went from being a couple of thousand to almost 5 thousand. And if I had it to do over again I would have contacted a builder to give an estimate to build this house before we spent all that money on a house that we are struggling to build in our budget. I recently contacted Garrell about purchasing the CAD on our house so that the builder we are working with can make some of the changes himself. This is an expensive house to build and what we found it doesn't matter how simplified the interior is the structural elements of the design is where all your money will go. IE the angle of the house makes the roof layout complicated the height of the roof and the list goes on. With all we had to change after buying our plans we are still excited to build and very thankful to a builder with the patience to work with us, we will be retired when we move to the Hill Country so we set a budget on what we would spend for our house and this plan almost made us give up. So in short, take my advise and first start with what you want to spend to build and then design a house around it!

o

My input on using garrell to tweak your plans is save your money. A good builder (like mine) has seen all of this stuff before. Ask your builder to take the changes you want to the person he buys his roofing trusses and floor beams. These folks provide structural drawings and are backed with engineers who do this every day. I made tons of changes including structural (some on the fly) and it is never a problem.

I also recommend you find a builder that builds on a percentage of money spent rather than agreeing to a fixed price and paying up charges for every change. This home has been a pleasure to build this way. It's just a little scary when you come down to the final months. My builder does it this way, you get 5 itemized bills throughout the build on all the money he spends. He tacks his fee on the bill and it's done.

Your builder has to have enough good credit to do it this way and if they can't then they probably aren't who you want to build it.

This is the cheapest and smallest house that my builder has built it the last few years.

o

BytheNbrs,
I Love the colors of the exterior of your house. Do you mind sharing the color of the siding? What material did you use? What is the name of your rock? What color did you use for your painted columns?

Also, what material did you use for the interior trusses? Is it oak? What color is the stain?

Please forgive all the questions. My husband and I are building on a hillside in Middle TN. Your color choices are my favorite. We hope to start building in a year. Could we see your house in person? We are certainly willing to drive to NC.

I am so appreciative of this site. The information is wonderful.

o

I appreciate the input here. I think we'll do a bit of on-the-fly changes, but we're also making major structural changes that involve the footprint of the house and the roof.

For those that worked with the architect- How long did it take to get a quote for making the plan changes? I spoke directly with Mike over two weeks ago. He said they'd get back to me with a quote for making the alterations to the plans soon. I don't want to rush them, but don't know if I should worry about being forgotten yet, either.

o

we are building in Tiger , Ga and have been very pleased with our builder if anyone needs someone . he is great and we hope to be finished in June. Billie

o

view from our front porch.

o

We were pleased with Mike and his team . 2 weeks seems too long - call and ask if they have any quest. about your request. Billie

o

I am looking for anyone in the Atlanta area that has built the Garrell Amicolola Cottage. I am in Columbus Ga and I would love to see this house in person. If you are willing to allow us to tour your home, please send me and email. I am also looking for tips and cost. Thank you for your help.

o

Billie that looks great! What a view! We'll be building in NE Monroe area. I'd love to get the name of your builder. We'll be GC past the exterior siding point, but it would be great to have someone who's framed the home/roof before. Speaking of siding, would you mind sharing who you went with for the shingles? I'm having a heck of a time deciding who to go with.

o

we are building about 1.5 hrs. north of Atlanta. We are building the Amicalola with a gable roof because we did not like the hip look and we discovered this allowed for much more room for the upstairs areas and a theater room that is over the kitchen area. We can give your number to our builder . We used Guy Cambell at Carolina colortones and were very pleased with the products he provided. Tips: the gable roof is cheaper to build , squaring off areas also Helps ex.: in the master closet and bath , in the breakfast area and back porch and we did what other suggested and enlarged the garage by squaring off the bedrooms and used the pantry/ bedroom closet for garage areas; we only used 4 lodge trusses. Billie

o

Thank you for the advise. Please keep us posted on your progress. Your pictures look amazing.

o

Amicolola owners and builders. I met with a builder this morning and I was shocked at the quote of 180 per square foot cost. I live in Georgia and I am hoping that other can share your per square foot cost. I love this house but it is double the cost of my current home. Ouch....

o

Hi vwagner, welcome to most of our worlds. I'm in Texas and last year they wanted 175 sq. foot, so we started looking around, this house isn't bigger then what we live in now so we almost had a cow when the price to build this house was 500k more then the one we live in which is only a couple of years old. My best advise to you is shop around!!!! and cartod mentioned a cost plus which is a bigger savings but we couldn't find a builder that would do that, I wonder if we can get his builder here! LOL, also materials choices play a big roll in the price to build, and until we printed out our plans we didn't notice all the extra options Mr. Garrell had on the plans so when our first bid came in at 675k it included all the extra's, and we are only building the main floor and roughing in the second; so things like the see thru fire place to our bedroom, things like that that we didn't need or want. So go over your plans real good and find all those money builders that you know you wouldn't want. We finally found a builder in the Hill Country that we like can't wait to work with but it took a lot of homework on my part to get there. I am so thankful I found this site, reading the stories of those who came before us proved to be valuable,
Don't give up! If you love this house you will find a way, you just might have to get creative. We did and we didn't have to sacrifice quality for it either.

o

I have thoroughly enjoyed reading everyone's posts and ideas! We have our floor plan that's been drawn up by someone. We love the exterior look of the Amicolola and have seen someone in our local area (Indiana) do a version of the tranquility. Our basement is dug so we have to finalize exterior selections ASAP! Can anyone share a few things with me and photos would be great if you have them. 1. What material did you use for your front porch beams, stain color and who made them. Same for the gable brackets (not sure what everyone calls them) 2. Stone colors and manufacturer 3. shake color and materials. Thanks so much and what a wonderful site this is!!

o

Its not a cheap home to build. $180 per sq ft. will be about what we have in ours. The house is labor intensive and requires lots of material. Places where we could save money we did. You can spend $10,000 on a stove or $1500. I am putting the yard in myself so that will save a bunch. We used vinyl for the soffit and that saved. We excluded all of the basement windows and I put a garage door into the basement so I can pull in cars, boat atv etc.

Also, the main support beams in the basement called for flush beams. We used drop beams and that saves a lot of money because the labor involved installing HVAC, plumbing etc is lessened by not having to get around the flush beams. We didn't put a real fireplace in and that saved a boatload and it also eliminated the need for extra support below the fireplace. We also eliminated the fireplace on the deck and eliminated the decorative chimneys, the roof line is spectacular enough.

o

Get Goedeker's to quote you prices on appliances and see if others will match like Lowes. If they tell you G. can't ship to you - G. told us they can ship to someone close to you and they can ship to you at not cost to you. Check for a time when Lowes gives gift cards also for large purchases . We got 8 appliances for about 12,000. Kitchenaid : 6 burner dual fuel range, wall oven-microwave combo, diswasher; Frigidaire side by side all freezer and all refrig with trim kit . washer dryer - blocking on which one. Make sure the builder get bids on everthing- and stay involved with each big ticket item. For ex. we were amazed at the differences for heating and air, insulation, and security systems. Some people think you will not check around. If you have contractor/builder friends get tips from them. we used Eldarado stone instead of tumblestones because the stone people said they were less expensive and labor is less intensive and they are a "greener product". We are considering Bamboo floors for the same 3 reasons. Any feed back on that item?

o

Get Goedeker's to quote you prices on appliances and see if others will match like Lowes. If they tell you G. can't ship to you - G. told us they can ship to someone close to you and they can ship to you at not cost to you. Check for a time when Lowes gives gift cards also for large purchases . We got 8 appliances for about 12,000. Kitchenaid : 6 burner dual fuel range, wall oven-microwave combo, diswasher; Frigidaire side by side all freezer and all refrig with trim kit . washer dryer - blocking on which one. Make sure the builder get bids on everthing- and stay involved with each big ticket item. For ex. we were amazed at the differences for heating and air, insulation, and security systems. Some people think you will not check around. If you have contractor/builder friends get tips from them. we used Eldarado stone instead of tumblestones because the stone people said they were less expensive and labor is less intensive and they are a "greener product". We are considering Bamboo floors for the same 3 reasons. Any feed back on that item?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here