Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sarahbr2

Compare these two kitchen design plans

sarahbr2
10 years ago

Hi,

I posted my entire plan a few days ago and now am considering two ways to make the kitchen. Do you guys think one over the other? I'm very torn.

option 1: http://oi58.tinypic.com/35jkwh0.jpg

option 2: http://oi60.tinypic.com/2whr1g2.jpg

Also still need to figure out the 'trapped' entry way

Thanks so much!

Comments (6)

• maggiepie11
    10 years ago

to make it easier on everyone...

OPTION 1:

OPTION 2:

• maggiepie11
    10 years ago

so i'm sure others will have more specific suggestions to address problem areas, but i'll give you my general thoughts. neither one is really ideal.

i had the sink on my island in our last house, and i'm not putting it on the island in the house we're building. i think that part is just personal preference - i'm looking forward to an expanse of space that isn't broken up by a sink, isn't always wet etc.

i also prefer an L-shape kitchen as in option 2 versus the nontraditional counter break you have in option 1. we had an entryway breaking up a long run of cabinets right in the middle and the section on the other side of the doorway was never really treated like kitchen the way it would have been without the break. that said, i can understand wanting better access between the kitchen and dining room than what you have in option 2.

have you considered moving the kitchen to the exterior wall and bringing your nook to the interior? i'm a sucker for windows over the kitchen sink. :)

• sarahbr2
    Original Author
    10 years ago

hello all,

I am meeting with my drafter in a few days, so really hoping for additional feedbackâ¦any input is so greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

• Jules
    10 years ago

I would definitely choose option 2 so the countertop isn't broken up and the refrigerator isn't located on the other side of a walkway.

You could still move the sink to the island.

• nini804
    10 years ago

I like option 2 but with the sink on the island. I really like a window over the sink, but if that wasn't possible, I'd put it on the island. I would make it super deep and plan to have soap dispenser (dish and hand) integrated. I would want to plan so that there wouldn't be dishes out drying on the island...maybe a really deep DOUBLE sink. :)

I think the hall from the kitchen to the dining room will be nice in option2, make sure you do pretty built ins for serving pieces, etc.

• kirkhall
    10 years ago

You'll get your best Kitchen organization advice on the Kitchen forum. Have you tried posting there?

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!