Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jwillis96

Drywall Corner Poll

jwillis96
11 years ago

What should we do....Square, 3/4" Round, 1/2" Round or my personal preference Chamfer (1/2" 45 deg). Any thoughts?

Comments (13)

• LuAnn_in_PA
    11 years ago

Do your personal preference... it's your house!

• amerdin
    11 years ago

We did square, but I like very simple clean lines so square is my personal preference.

• jwillis96
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Our dry wall guy is discouraging chamfer, he says it is not as durable...does anyone have any experience with a chamfer corner?...maybe that should have been my original question.
    Thanks for the input.

• kaljr82
    11 years ago

We struggled, with this as well and ended up doing square. We did not like the idea transitioning room colors with no defined edge.

• LOTO
    11 years ago

Most all new construction in my area is rounded but we are going square in our new build..just old school I guess but that is what we like....kaljr82 does have a good point too.

• renovator8
    11 years ago

Old school? The plaster corners in my house are round; it was built in 1891. Square corners became possible with drywall and metal corner bead. Now round is possible because of round corner bead. But it doesn't match up well with the square corners of the baseboard and ceiling trim.

• LOTO
    11 years ago

Renovator8.....old school in drywall only...I also had a home with rounded plaster corners built in 1925 and your point about the base and ceiling not matching up well is another reason I don't like rounded.

• ellenandco
    11 years ago

I don't like rounded corners one bit. It's the paint issue. All newer homes here have them, so I put "no round corners" in the specs to prevent a surprise.

• flgargoyle
    11 years ago

I can't remember where, but I once found a place that makes rounded corner molding to match baseboards and crown moldings. I dislike square or 45'd moldings on rounded corners.

• ILoveRed
    11 years ago

I like the rounded corners, but I think it is one of those personal preference things.

My house is somewhat open, but I have never run into a problem with the painting issue described above.

As far as the trim/ moulding issue goes, they used a corner piece at the bottom the height of my trim so that just that section was not rounded. Taken with ipad, poor quality pic.

• olivesmom
    11 years ago

I vote square.

We have rounded corners in our home and I think it is so stupid looking. It might look fine in a Tudor or adobe house, but not in my circa 2005 craftsman inspired tract house. And then there's the whole problem with paint and dealing with baseboards/crown.

If you do go rounded at least have the lower few inches squared off so you can have normal looking baseboards.

• jwillis96
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well We decided on square, thanks for all your input.

• brickeyee
    11 years ago

" Square corners became possible with drywall and metal corner bead."

You must be kidding.

Metal corner bead has been used in plaster walls for a very long time.

And even before that the corners could rather easily be made square (though vulnerable to chipping).

There are plenty of square outside corners in the pre-revolutionary Federalist houses in Alexandria,VA.

Been there, repaired them