Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
width of driveway space for side entry garage

Posted by becca06 (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 10, 08 at 15:58

Hi All,

Does anyone know an estimated width for driveway space on a side entry garage?

We are just beginning the building process. We close in 3 weeks on our lot and are trying to find a house plan. We've done a remodel on our own several years ago and built a 5000sqft home 2 years ago using a GC. We had to relocate, unfortunately, and are really excited to build again. We may decide to GC the house ourselves using a building consultant. I'm sure I'll be posting quite a bit as we get further into the process.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: width of driveway space for side entry garage

I wouldn't go less than 30' -- go wider if you have the room or if you have SUV's or pick-ups that generally have a larger turning radius.

o

30'?! That's really wide, isn't it? I don't think she needs to turn around in the driveway without pulling into the garage.

o

We have 10' of setbacks on the garage side of the lot. I hate to give up a full 30' for driveway plus the 10'.

Our lot is only .55 of an acre so every foot counts. I strongly prefer side entry garages, but we may not have enough space.

Thanks for the advice!

o

Ours is about 30 ft, with a an extension of the driveway to back up on to so we don't have to back up the whole driveway.

You need to make sure that it is wide enough to park a car on there and another drive past it to get into the garage.

o

becca,

We went 20' on our width for our side entry garage, and it's worked out well for us. I can send a pic if you're interested, but will need your email.

perryrip

o

Perryrip,

You can reach me at Bec3b1g@aol.com

Thanks!

o

I hadn't asked if you are in a subdivision with regulations. Most municipalities allow a 10' width for the driveway itself and 24' for the garage approach on a 2 car side entry garage. They allow wider for 3+ car garages. We have a 3 car garage and my DH cannot pull his large truck into the garage without pulling up and then backing up to get into his space. I like enough of a turning radius that I can get into the garage with one turn only. The 30' is what our architect and landscape engineer recommended. My DH would have liked it a little wider (but we have plenty of land).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here