Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Southern Living Cottage of the Year

Posted by scoobyruby (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 9, 14 at 15:35

Hello!!
I am in the beginning stages of thinking about building a home. We have 10 acres in the country in Tennessee. I want a simple home, easy to upkeep, open greatroom, dining and kitchen with some rustic elements: brick floors, rustic beams, pecky cypress, etc.
Any feedback on this plan?
Thanks in advance,
Scoobyruby

http://houseplans.southernliving.com/plans/sl593

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Southern Living Cottage of the Year

i've always liked this plan too love the room sizes and
the main house is sort of cabinish
it might be sort of expensive to build

couldn't talk my husband into "two buildings"

o

It is easier for people if some of the images are included in the thread.

o

I too have loved this plan since I first saw it, for a vacation home in the Keys maybe, or a summer retreat for the barrier islands off the Carolinas. But for a year round home in Tennessee I think that it would be a bit chilly to have the master and the guest quarters separated from the main living area by nothing more than breezeways and porches.

o

I drive past this house almost every day taking the kids to school - I've never been inside but the exterior is adorable. I know someone who worked for the former owners and she loved the interior layout.

It looks like they made a few minor changes but it's the same floorplan as the one in the OP. Don't know where you are in TN but this is in Smyrna, about 30 miles outside Nashville and you could probably build it for $100/sq ft.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rocky Fork House

This post was edited by parsonse on Wed, Feb 12, 14 at 17:21

o

Dbl post.

This post was edited by parsonse on Wed, Feb 12, 14 at 20:48

o

Thank you so much for posting the pics, Dekeoboe!! I used to post on the decorating forum but have forgotten how to post pics.
Mlweaving, the vestible to the MB is enclosed & I would've enlarged it to increase the laundry.
Parsonse, I really appreciate the link to a similar house.

My DH thinks the roof lines would increase the cost too much so he has found this plan. I'm going to link and then figure out how to post pics!! Any thoughts on this plan are so appreciated.

Here is a link that might be useful: Farmhouse Revival

o

Scooby - I love the exterior of that house, but other than the Master bath, the interior isn't doing a thing for me. The layout is really awkward.

Sorry!

o

I am partial to both plans as I must admit to being a sucker for porches and subscribing to SL. On the "Cottage of the Year" I prefer the gabled main roof version in the real estate listing. I agree with lmcarly that something about the interior of the "Farmhouse" seems a bit odd -- those quirks make more sense in a remodel (which I believe that was) than when you're starting new. I'm a big fan of work by the Historical Concepts firm generally though.

o

The upstairs bath bothers me ... you have the tub and toilet in the same compartment. I'd make that area smaller, as a bath-only area, and have two "powder rooms".

The pavilion style is trendy, but you drive up heating, cooling and construction costs because of the extra wall area.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here