Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
saltnpeppa

Southern Living Cottage of the Year

saltnpeppa
10 years ago

Hello!!
I am in the beginning stages of thinking about building a home. We have 10 acres in the country in Tennessee. I want a simple home, easy to upkeep, open greatroom, dining and kitchen with some rustic elements: brick floors, rustic beams, pecky cypress, etc.
Any feedback on this plan?
Thanks in advance,
Scoobyruby

http://houseplans.southernliving.com/plans/sl593

Comments (18)

• zippity1
    10 years ago

i've always liked this plan too love the room sizes and
    the main house is sort of cabinish
    it might be sort of expensive to build

couldn't talk my husband into "two buildings"

• dekeoboe
    10 years ago

It is easier for people if some of the images are included in the thread.

• mlweaving_Marji
    10 years ago

I too have loved this plan since I first saw it, for a vacation home in the Keys maybe, or a summer retreat for the barrier islands off the Carolinas. But for a year round home in Tennessee I think that it would be a bit chilly to have the master and the guest quarters separated from the main living area by nothing more than breezeways and porches.

• Beth Parsons
    10 years ago

I drive past this house almost every day taking the kids to school - I've never been inside but the exterior is adorable. I know someone who worked for the former owners and she loved the interior layout.

It looks like they made a few minor changes but it's the same floorplan as the one in the OP. Don't know where you are in TN but this is in Smyrna, about 30 miles outside Nashville and you could probably build it for $100/sq ft.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rocky Fork House

This post was edited by parsonse on Wed, Feb 12, 14 at 17:21

• Beth Parsons
    10 years ago

Dbl post.

This post was edited by parsonse on Wed, Feb 12, 14 at 20:48

• saltnpeppa
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you so much for posting the pics, Dekeoboe!! I used to post on the decorating forum but have forgotten how to post pics.
    Mlweaving, the vestible to the MB is enclosed & I would've enlarged it to increase the laundry.
    Parsonse, I really appreciate the link to a similar house.

My DH thinks the roof lines would increase the cost too much so he has found this plan. I'm going to link and then figure out how to post pics!! Any thoughts on this plan are so appreciated.

Here is a link that might be useful: Farmhouse Revival

• lmccarly
    10 years ago

Scooby - I love the exterior of that house, but other than the Master bath, the interior isn't doing a thing for me. The layout is really awkward.

Sorry!

• Oaktown
    10 years ago

I am partial to both plans as I must admit to being a sucker for porches and subscribing to SL. On the "Cottage of the Year" I prefer the gabled main roof version in the real estate listing. I agree with lmcarly that something about the interior of the "Farmhouse" seems a bit odd -- those quirks make more sense in a remodel (which I believe that was) than when you're starting new. I'm a big fan of work by the Historical Concepts firm generally though.

• lazy_gardens
    10 years ago

The upstairs bath bothers me ... you have the tub and toilet in the same compartment. I'd make that area smaller, as a bath-only area, and have two "powder rooms".

The pavilion style is trendy, but you drive up heating, cooling and construction costs because of the extra wall area.

• PRO
    Brooks Electrical Solutions, Inc.
    6 years ago
    My wife and I are building this same plan in old town Flowery Branch. It has a "built on to" feel about it making it feel historic. We changed the upper bath layout to include 2 toilets and vanities to be separated with a stand alone tub and separate walk in shower. We also changed the kitchen layout to take advantage of better storage.
  • Piper Nash
    6 years ago

I would love to see photos of progress I love this house so much and I am also building it and I love to see different versions to help with ideas of my own

• PRO
    Virgil Carter Fine Art
    6 years ago

This is a very cute "almost too cute" caricature of an old house which has been added on to over long periods of time. If one likes new "old houses" this is one of those.

The plan, however, is very unique and rather limiting. For an empty nester family who needs/wants one level living, it might work with the second level and guest house serving as quarters for frequent visitors.

For an active family with young or adolescent children, this design might be very challenging.

One thing is for sure--there's much more foundation, wall framing and roof framing of three detached structures than a single structure. Building systems--HVAC, electrical/signal, water supply/waste will all take larger units and more distribution lines.

If one has the budget, and the lifestyle fits, this could be a good design. If not, keep looking.

• PRO
    6 years ago
    Virgil Carter, you are correct. This home is very "cut up" and would require a lot of work to maintain. My wife and I are young empty nesters with a love for entertaining family and friends and this plan is spot on. More pics to follow to show the changes we have made. We added a large 3 car garage/shop to operate our electrical business from.
  • JW Rock Hill
    4 years ago

Brooks - how did you attach the garage to the rest of the house?

• PRO
    Virgil Carter Fine Art
    4 years ago

Five (5) year old thread...

• PRO
    3 years ago

JW Rock Hill...sorry for the late response. We just framed a 10ft breezeway to connect them