Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dmmeek_gw

Ideas for Floor Plan and Design Improvements

dmmeek
10 years ago

Hello, my wife and I have chosen a floor plan and plan to begin building in approx 6 months. The floor plan we are going to purchase is at this link http://ww4.coolhouseplans.com/details.html?pid=42877&ArchStyle=Craftsman#top I would greatly appreciate any design ideas, interior and exterior. One change we are going to make is in regards to the "coffee corner." We are going to close the room off from the kitchen except for a serving window. Then, combine the prior walk-through space with the existing pantry to create a walk-in pantry.

We are also considering placing a small closet on the north wall of the flex room, creating a TV shelf above the fireplace, and squaring off the dining room to add space. Additionally, we may forgo the rock sections of the exterior and go all brick. Any opinions on the shutters... do they help or hurt the design?

I would appreciate any ideas you may have.

Daniel

Comments (8)

• dmmeek
    Original Author
    10 years ago

In case the link doesn't work, here is the attached floor plan.
    Daniel

• kirkhall
    10 years ago

And... is it just your wife and you at home? Who will live in this house? Age? How long do you plan to live here (through disability and retirement, or just until a different job takes you somewhere else)? What will the drive look like for this house (one "negative" of this plan is the protruding garage. Guests who park in a driveway, presumably next to the garage, will have to walk all the way around the protruding garage to get to your front door. UPS men will likely drop packages at your garage man door.... etc.

Is there a reason there are no windows on the side walls? Reason for the master closet to be in the corner, etc? (ie, do you have minimal lot line clearances with houses close together, or will you add windows and light?)

The door from the screened porch will limit what size and what kind of table you can put in the casual dining area (if you instead put the door where in the GR in place of one of the windows, that might be a better option). Table size may be fine for you though, if it is just you and your wife in the house.

Your cooktop will have a long vent line (just something to keep in mind; unless, I suppose, it goes straight up to the roof).

Do you plan to have stools at the kitchen peninsula? If so, anyone sitting there will a) pinch in on the walking space between the peninsula and the exterior wall to screen porch walk way area there; and b) be able to see straight into the powder room.

And actually, it may be possible to see into the powder room all the way from Bd #3...

Suite #2's closet doesn't appear to be that deep. It will probably hold as much as a regular reach in would, but takes up much more space in what is a relatively small house plan. I think I'd consider restructuring that wing of the house so that Bd3's door is off a hallway rather than straight off the family room, and so that there is better use of floorspace/area for bd2's closet.

Others will comment that the kitchen will be dark. That all depends on your latitude and how many windows you have, and what kind of lighting you put in.

Otherwise, I like the bones of the plan.

• dmmeek
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes, it appears I should have provided more information, and thanks for your feedback.

Our family consists of two girls as well, age 12 and 17 (separate bathrooms are definitely preferred, or at least separate sink areas). The house will sit on a 2.5 acre lot, and we don't plan on moving again (but you know how plans workout sometimes :)

For guest we plan to add a circle driveway to the front to bypass the long walk from the driveway to the front door. I have also considered a Jack and Jill bathroom between the bedrooms with separate sink / vanity areas, but have not discovered a way to make it work and still provide large closets. As for the master closet and bathroom, we are open for suggestions. We are considering swapping the toilet area with the shower area to create a walk-in (doorless) shower. The master closet door location limits furniture placement, so we may try to move the door to the bathroom. As long as we keep the general dimensions of the house and load bearing walls in place, everything is up for change and debate.

Just to list a few of the things we like about the house: coffee corner (a separate sitting space for quiet reading without the extra space of a formal dining), the flex room (a potential office), the bonus room (may add a closet up there a well), the kitchen (with suggested modifications above), the covered porches (however, we will not be screening them in) and the side-facing garage.

Again thanks for your feedback and I welcome another comments you may have.

Daniel

• live_wire_oak
    10 years ago

Its a pretty awful kitchen that violates about 9 different rules of good design. Have the kitchen take over the coffee corner (what a silly term) and eliminate that dysfunctional angle. I see "casual dining" but no dining room? If that's to be the main dining space, then it's not of adequate size for more than 4 with that door and walkway impinging on the clearances. If the flex room is to serve as the DR, it's too far from the kitchen. If it's to serve as a potential guest room, it has no bath access. Is the lot long and narrow? If not, there are plans that are much better looking without the garage being all you see of the front.

• dmmeek
    Original Author
    10 years ago

No, the lot is square, so any dimensions will work. Could you recommend another plan. I would be interested in seeing a plan with a better kitchen as you suggested.
    Thanks.

• Skyangel23
    10 years ago

Does each bedroom have to have their own bathroom? You could make a really nice and spacious single bathroom with an access door for guests. Otherwise, what bathroom will guests use, as I don't see a door for them without going through bedrooms??? Also, add windows to the bedrooms on the second exterior wall and windows to both the smaller bathrooms. :-)

• annkh_nd
    10 years ago

It is an efficient layout - I like homes that don't lose a lot of space to long hallways.

But I would not want to have my bedroom door open to the living room - especially if I was a teenage girl. I agree with Kirkall that the door to BR3 should be more private.

Maybe it's because I have sons instead of daughters, but I don't see the need for kids to have private bathrooms. My sons share a bath, and even though one showers until the hot water runs out, they manage to make it work. And access for guests is an issue. A friend of mine built a house with a sink in each of her daughters' bedrooms, which they loved.

A corner in a walk-in closet is virtually useless for hanging clothes. I would configure closets to either have hanging rods down 2 sides, or make them reach-in. The master closet especially would be extremely inefficient in the current layout.

I assume the family will mostly enter the house through the garage - and you don't have a coat closet anywhere. I would steal space from your large master bath (do you really need 13' of vanity?), expand the laundry to also serve as a mudroom.

Will you have a basement? If not, find a way to access the space under the stairs. I have a strong aversion to wasted space!

Perhaps post a closeup of your kitchen, with dimensions, on the Kitchens forum - there is a lot of room for improvement there, but hard to be specific without more detail.

• live_wire_oak
    10 years ago

Engage the services of a local architect. Hunting down plans designed for some other location than yours can be a painfully long process. And expensive, because you still have to have the plans engineered for your own local requirements.