Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
skyangel23_gw

kids' beds in their closets?

Skyangel23
10 years ago

Hi,
Last question for awhile, I promise. :-) I am so thankful for the advice we have already received on a couple of other issues. We are framing soon and have only a couple of days to change anything. I saw a closet bed while browsing on houzz, and both kids (3 and 8) were instantly in love with it.

The closets as they are now will be 8'8" wide and 2'6" deep from drywall to drywall. Door opening 6' wide. I was thinking of making them 6 inches deeper for 36" drywall to drywall. Then we can build the bed platform 3' or so high, with storage underneath. I would keep the door frame as is so we could put doors on later if we wanted to convert it back to a closet, but we would not put any doors on now.

They will still each need a dresser and probably an armoire (sp?) for hanging clothes, but that still gives them much more space without a bed in the room, and it gives them something cool, cozy, and all their own. My thinking is that even if they decide they don't like it, there is plenty of room to do a reading nook or something similar, and also add back some storage. When they outgrow it, put in a nice clothes storage system and install doors.

Am I missing anything? Has anyone done anything like this? Is 36" enough? Too much? Mattress RV stores carry odd sized mattresses, such as 30", 32", 34", and 36". I thought a 36" wide space would give them enough room to be comfortable even as they grow.

The rooms are a bit smaller with the bigger closets: Girl's room would be 12' by 11'6". Boy's room would be 12' by 10'6". I am thinking the lack of a bed will make up for the smaller space.

Here are some pictures:

Traditional Kids by Other Metro Architects & Designers Kisulia arts

Eclectic Bedroom by Los Angeles Home Stagers Madison Modern Home

Comments (19)

• Skyangel23
    Original Author
    10 years ago

And this, with storage beneath.

• Skyangel23
    Original Author
    10 years ago

My daughter's favorite . . .

• Oaktown
    10 years ago

mongoct (who is mostly on the bath forum) built an amazing bed alcove, see the attached link.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dutch bed thread

• kirkhall
    10 years ago

I don't think it would be for me...but it is your decision.

The thing about a 30" deep closet (the original dimensions) is that they are too deep for regular reach in, and not deep enough for effect walk in. 24" is usually sufficient.

As for 36" or not... Do you have the room to do that? I wouldn't want to give up bedroom area for an extra 6" in the already too deep closet that won't be any more effective than a 24" closet as a closet.

So, that is my take.

If they like the idea, create it in the room, proper, with a canopy bed, or a built up loft bed. Hang curtains, etc. But, don't compromise the long term space.

That is just my opinion.

• DLM2000-GW
    10 years ago

We did something similar when we put an addition on our home. Our son, then 5, LOVED cozy nooks and small places that felt fort-like. So our addition included an alcove in his bedroom that was sized for a twin size bed including head board/foot board and wiggle room to allow for ease of bed making and cleaning. We didn't change the existing closet to do it because in this old house it's a small reach in to begin with. I think it's a special thing that some kids love and if you can size it appropriately without compromising other areas of your build - go for it.

• User
    10 years ago

Do it in the room proper, or don't do it at all. You could do built in dressers to either side to be able to get enough depth on a wall to create the alcove. Then, when they tired of it, (and they will because making the bed is a HUGE PIA) the alcove can be demolished and a regular bed with a regular orientation and nightstands can fit where the alcove once was between the two built in dressers.

• mommytoty
    10 years ago

My kids love forts and cozy spaces too, so I am using the space under our staircase going down to the basement to do a little built in alcove that they can use for sleeping or reading. They are even talking about sleeping in there together, which I think will be too tight to do more than once, but they are excited about it. ;-) Anyway, this idea may not work for you, but I thought this was a good way to use space that would otherwise go unused while at the same time recognizing that they will outgrow this phase soon (they are 12 and 8 yo).

• mrspete
    10 years ago

Super cute, but I'd hate to have to make up the beds.

• LuAnn_in_PA
    10 years ago

Yep... horrible for making beds and changing linens.

to the OP -
    What options will you have when they are too big for the space?

• Oaktown
    10 years ago

You know, I suspect this "making the bed" is either an issue or a non-issue depending on one's point of view. I don't see it as any more difficult than making up a bed that's in a corner, which personally doesn't bother me at all. Spent the first 20-odd years of my life with a bed in the corner, all of my kids have their beds in corners, and it's no problem to make them up. I would hesitate at bunk beds, though.

This is probably one of those preference "controversies" like open vs. traditional floor plans, bath vanities vs. pedestals, pocket vs. swing doors, double hungs vs. casements -- as long as you go into it with your eyes open, you'll probably make the right decision. And whatever you do can be changed later. (in the other thread, mongoct noted that his daughter and her friends still loved the alcove bed even as teenagers).

I find the idea of a sleeping alcove quite charming, apparently it's a traditional building idea (see A Pattern Language) -- yet I would not want one because I am slightly claustrophobic.

Good luck.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sleeping alcoves

• worthy
    10 years ago

A sleeping alcove!

Sounds so charming.

And here I thought the odd space into which I tucked a double bed and steel pole for a closet in a bachelor apartment I rented was just the result of being poor and having to make do. I guess it's the difference between eight and 28.

BTW, who makes a bed anymore?? (Unless you're ex-military trembling lest your bed doesn't meet some screaming non-com's exacting standards.) Just throw in a duvet. Besides, it's made beds that bedbugs love.

• Skyangel23
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oaktown, thanks for the sleeping alcove and dutch beds link. So cool! I googled dutch beds after your post; such a neat concept. I love what Mongoct did. I don't think my husband and I are quite that talented. :-)

I agree that difficulty making the bed would be a slight annoyance at worst for me. If it's something my kids, one or both, would really enjoy, then bed-making is a non-issue.

Kirkhall, thank you for your opinion. I appreciate it and I want to hear all sides before I make a decision so that I can consider the pros and cons. In one bedroom, the dimensions would still by 11'6" by 12'2", which I think is fine especially without a bed in there. We've had bedrooms smaller than that for the kids. The other would be 12" by 10'4", and it looks like that closet depth without modification would be 28", so we'd need to add 8". I'm a little more concerned about that one.

Worthy, I think a bed in the closet is efficient and smart if space is tight. ;-)

LuAnn_in_PA, when they outgrow the closet bed: because we are keeping the framing, we would just have to add a door to turn it back into a closet. If we made it a closet again, we would add a storage system so that all of their clothes would fit inside, so that they wouldn't need a dresser. This would make up for the lost 8 square feet of bedroom space with the expanded closet. It would be a foot deeper than normal, but with the 6 ft. wide opening, it should not hinder access. That is my thought anyway.

Depending on age, it could also be lined with shelves for books with some big pillows in the corner for a reading nook. Or we could add a chair and a desk and make it a study nook.

mommytoty,
    LOVE that! Now I wish we had stairs! What a great idea.

Live_wire_Oak, I'm not sure I can picture your idea with the built in dressers, but it sounds interesting. Do you have an inspiration picture?

dlm2000, I bet your son loved that! If you had the closet and the alcove, did you have large bedroom dimensions? I'm not sure we have the space for both.

I'm including both bedroom layouts showing original closet and expanded closet dimensions:

• Skyangel23
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Bedroom #2:

• Skyangel23
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Also love this loft bed that goes from wall to wall. We don't have vaulted ceilings, but do have 10 ft. ceilings.

Maybe one gets a closet bed and one gets a loft bed? :-)

• jkliveng
    10 years ago

I did this when I was in college and loved it. Made a shared room feel more personal. I had no trouble making the bed.

Love the idea, I would just make sure that as they age it would be able to grow with them.

• nostalgicfarm
    10 years ago

I love the idea of a bed in an alcove like this. I would recommend to use standard dimensions of either a twin or full bed though. Camping mattresses are not really the most comfortable and your kids spend a lot of time in their beds! I love cute little nooks and crannies and think your kids may use the alcove for a long time :).

• Oaktown
    10 years ago

More photos . . .

Here is a link that might be useful: blog piece -- alcove beds

• Skyangel23
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Oaktown,
    The link wouldn't work for me when I tried it.
    We did decide to widen the closet of the slightly bigger bedroom. The eight year old boy is excitedly contemplating loft beds so now I just have to figure out how to make a cool high one that is also safe (relatively) for his 3.8 year old sister. Railings for sure. :-)
    Thank you everyone for your help.

• mrspete
    10 years ago

My concerns about "making the bed" aren't so much for daily making as putting on the bottom sheets on wash day. Reaching the corners of the beds will be a challenge.

As for railings, here's a super-cheap option: Place one or more swim noodles (choose the large, fat type) UNDER the flat sheet. It provides a big "hump" over which the kids won't roll. I wouldn't do an "up high bed" with a kid younger than . . . maybe eight.

I do agree that they're super cute.