Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lyfb

Master Closet/Utility tie in - Laundry hamper

Lil B
14 years ago

We are in the framing stage of our build. Yesterday, while walking with my sister through the home, she had a great idea. We were previously wanting a laundry hamper in the Linen Closet across from the toilet area in the Master Bath. Since the utility adjoins the Master closet, my sister suggested some sort of laundry chute/hamper. I'm envisioning a swinging hamper door on the closet side, which drops into the utility room. In the utility room, DH suggested building the laundry hamper inside one of the broom closets. Then, DH said we could ask the GC to have a "top" to the hamper so that we could sit cleaning supplies ontop of the hamper. The hamper we have in the current home is 40"H x 27"W x 13"D.

I think I'd still like to keep the closet door. Then, I suppose the hamper would still need cabinet-type doors to retrieve the clothes.

Any other thoughts before I get with our GC? Pros/Cons?

Thanks so much!

Here's the plan of the area:

(There's no cabinets above the sink...we had a late change to flip-flop the W/D and the sink. I photo edited the plans to switch them)

Comments (11)

• phillipeh
    14 years ago

If you have cabinet type doors that allow you to toss dirty clothes into that closet (with a hamper built in), you'll lose any hanging rod space you might have had in front of the cabinet doors. What if you just put a door from the closet into the laundry room? Then you can go both ways -- toss dirty clothes into a hamper in the laundry room (or directly into the washer) and carry clean, folded towels and clothes back into the closet, instead of going all the way around.

• gopintos
    14 years ago

My son's bathroom is next to his closet. I am just having them make a little door in the bathroom and he can drop clothes into a hamper in his closet. He can hang shorter stuff above it so he wont lose much space.

I figure he would have the hamper in his closet anyways, so he isnt really losing any space at all.

• sweeby
    14 years ago

I think it's a great idea, with many possible variations:

- tip-out basket
    - pull-out basket
    - cabinet door to basket
    - full-height door walk-through
    - 'hole-in-the-wall' chute

What type of space can you most easily give up in the master closet?

• Lil B
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Although the idea of a full door between the closet and Utility is intriguing, I don't think I want to give up all the space in my Master Closet for that door. I think the hole-in-the-wall chute on the Master Closet side would allow our trim guy to still build in shelving above and below that chute. On the utility side, I will need a way to retrieve the clothes - probably cabinet doors. I was thinking if the entire hamper on the Utility side is no taller than 40", then we can still have shelving in that little utility closet to store cleaning supplies, lightbulbs, etc. We will still have a full height closet on the other side of the mud bench for storing vacuums and brooms.

I'll be talking to the GC soon. I'm so glad my sister thought of this, and y'all agree that it's a good idea!

Thanks!!

• pps7
    14 years ago

we're trying to do the same thing. Haven't figured out exactly how to do it.

• pps7
    13 years ago

Turned out great!! We're doing the same thing but right now we just have a big hole in the wall.

• les_bailey
    13 years ago

wow what a great idea......

• pps7
    13 years ago

Ours is finally done. On the laundry room side:

On the master closet side:

• jhs2010
    13 years ago

Your sister had a great idea, that is so neat - glad it turned out so well! Thanks for sharing.

• montel (CA US 10b/Sunset 16)
    13 years ago

We may look into something like this - out master closet has a wall shared with the utility room...thanks for the photos

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County