Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zone4newby

Anyone using impact resistant asphalt shingles?

zone4newby
11 years ago

Apparently there are hail-resistant shingles-- they use a rubber in the shingle so it's less brittle and more resistant to impact. My insurance agent tells me we could save hundreds of dollars a year if our roof were impact resistant, and we may also save ourselves the cost of our deduction and the hassle of replacing a roof after a hail storm.

I can talk to my builder about them, but I was curious if anyone here has experience with them. What's the cost compared to architectural shingles? Are you happy with the appearance?

Thanks!

Comments (9)

• millworkman
    11 years ago

Never heard of them and I live on L.I. and have been in the building material supply business for 30 yrs. But if it is anything like the other related "impact or hurricane products" the cost will more than likely outweigh the $ in insurance premiums.

• zone4newby
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here's a link to one product.

We're in the Midwest (although I grew up on LI! I envy you your delis and bagels!) and hail storms here are quite common- at least 2-3 per year. I'm not sure I ever saw hail on LI.

Here is a link that might be useful: IKO Armorshake shingles

• renovator8
    11 years ago

Always read a warranty - never assume what it covers.

The warranty for IKO's "Armourshake" shingles excludes the following:

"Any damage caused by Acts of God or other causes beyond IKO's control, including, without limitation, lightning, gale or wind (except for the coverage in the Limited Wind Resistance Warranty), hail, hurricane, tornado, earthquake, explosion, flood, fungus contamination, solid objects falling on the roof, or any other causes."

Similar exclusions are found in the warranty for Owens-Corning's "Impact Resistant" shingles:

"1. Acts of God, such as hail, strong storms (hurricanes) or winds over the maximum windspeed listed in the chart at the end of this warranty, or ice damming above the area covered by leak barriers or flashings."

For GAF Timberline "ArmorShield" II Shingles, "impact resistant" means the shingles passed the UL 2218 Impact Test with a Class 4 rating but the warranty excludes "(a) acts of nature, such as hail, winds (or gusts) over the applicable wind speed listed above, or ice damming above the area covered by leak barriers or above flashings."

Basically all of these roofing systems are algae resistant, thicker and use better installation standards but none to my knowledge are warrantied against damage from hail. And some of these shingles are not even offered for sale in certain parts of the country, like near the ocean or the mountains.

Don't assume anything about a warranty - you must read it carefully.

• worthy
    11 years ago

So if they're not warranted, they're no improvement even if they meet the higher UL standard?

I guess you have to balance any insurance discount against the extra initial costs. And consider the large deductibles on your home insurance policy in case there is a claim. Standard deductible here is $5,000.

• zone4newby
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The main drivers for me would be to have a higher quality shingle and save $350/yr on my home insurance (and more than that if they save me a claim). I understand that the manufacturer can't promise they'll withstand a hailstorm, just that they are more impact resistant than standard shingles. They do appear to be available in my area, and the fact that the insurance companies offer discounts for using them suggests there is a benefit statistically.

I was hoping to find someone who has used them or considered them and decided against them. Anyone?

• lostlink
    7 years ago

I know this is a dated thread but how well do you like the Atlas StormMaster Shingles? I plan on having my roof done with them in a couple of weeks.

• Ryan
    7 years ago

Also considering Atlas StormMaster Shake shingles (http://bit.ly/2dhVx8S) and would be interested in hearing any feedback.

• PRO
    Virgil Carter Fine Art
    7 years ago

Sounds like you've got your mind made up!