Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
reliabilityman

Exterior house sheathing-what is this stuff called 'zip-tye'?

reliabilityman
16 years ago

Anyone know anything about a product for exterior sheathing called "zip Tye" I believe. One contractor I interviewed does not use house wrap over the plywood on the exterior walls, rather he uses a green treated type plywood called Zip Tye. I may be off with the name however but it aparently is a relatively new product. He said house wrap would not be needed with this. It looks like plywood with green plastic impregnated on one side of it. It was rather neat looking but I always am hesitant with a new product that I do not know much about? I am hoping someone here knows what i am talking about and can comment.

Comments (11)

• perryrip
    16 years ago

Reliabilityman,

Go to this link and it will tell you everything you want to know about the zip system. It seems to me it comes down to the math. Standard sheathing with housewrap cost vs. zip tie sheathing with seam tape cost. If installed properly both will work, but which one is most cost effective?

http://huberwood.com/main.aspx?pagename=zipsystemwalloverview

perryrip

• mightyanvil
    16 years ago

Waterproof breathable liquid-applied air/weather barrier coatings on plywood or OSB sheathing have been used on commercial projects for a long time ("GoldCoat" by STO, "Perm-A-Barrier VP" by WR Grace, and "Air Bloc 31" by Henry Co.), but home builders have, for some reason, ignored these systems, preferring to wrestle with plastic housewraps that are difficult to seal well enough to perform as intended both as an air barrier and a weather barrier. (Most builders don't even bother to seal the horizontal joints.)

Huber has finally applied one of these coatings to their OSB sheathing board at the factory (ZIP SYSTEM). But because the joints must be taped in the field it is a poor substitute for the commercial systems that use mesh reinforcing tape at the joints and rough openings before the liquid membrane is applied by sprayer or roller.

A continuous liquid applied membrane that wraps into all openings is the ultimate weather and air barrier because there are no joints to fail and there is no space behind it for water to invade.

Some people claim these systems are only available from licensed installers but that is not true. I called the STO distributer and he said he would sell it to anyone and that it wasn't any more difficult to install than any other acrylic coating, in other words, it's like paint.

I am certain these systems will someday be the standard for all home construction. In the meantime we will struggle with housewraps and Huber's ZIP System.

Here is a link that might be useful: Huber

• mightyanvil
    16 years ago

STO GoldCoat

Here is a link that might be useful: STO GoldCoat

• mightyanvil
    16 years ago

WR Grace Perm-A-Barrier VP

Here is a link that might be useful: WR Grace Perm-A-Barrier VP

• mlo1
    16 years ago

I used Huber's zip system on my roof. I was skeptical about the tape but it exceeded my expectations as far as tape goes. I left it exposed to the elements for nearly 5 months with not a single issue.

When installing the Malarkey 50 year roofing, I did how ever still have to use a 30# felt underlayment for thier warranty.

• reliabilityman
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Interesting, the builder I talked to said he was against house wrap because during the construction phase it had such a tendancy to tear in high winds and was hard to keep up in place.

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

• mightyanvil
    16 years ago

Most builders put the housewrap up as soon as possible. I don't know what the motivation is other than convenience, but the sheathing doesn't need the protection and this practice can severely compromise the weather/air barrier integrity of the housewrap.

• kjboggs
    16 years ago

I used the huber zip system on my new home and do not regret it at all. I think if done properly is a better system than tyvek or the like since once in place will not rip or tear, and that tape is some good stuff and has been evaluated as approved flashing tape also.

• mightyanvil
    16 years ago

My only complaint is that Huber won't tell what these products are made of and that makes me hesitant to use them.

• mightyanvil
    16 years ago

Of course if you mean the Zip Tye by Oakley ...

Here is a link that might be useful: a real Zip Tye

• trafficcopsmith
    13 years ago

Zip System has a new site, that might have some of the answers you need:

Here is a link that might be useful: Sheathing