Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ivparker_gw

Framing basement interior wall right below duct work

ivparker
12 years ago

Hey guys. I came to these forums when were building our house and now we are in the process of finishing our basement and the different builders and my dad and my husband are all in disagreement on how to build our bathroom wall as it is directly below a duct. We can't move the wall, as the plumbing was plumbed in already when we built the house, and that would be costly, as well as moving duct work. So.... we aren't so much worried about the wall falling down but if we later on try to sell the house, if it won't pass inspection if we do it wrong. So, my dad says to just nail the wall right to the duct work. We have a different builder guy that is saying to build one wall just past the duct work (that will be the storage room) and then build the bathroom wall and attach them together so that essentially the bathroom wall will still be attached to the ceiling. I think that we could just build a soffit around the duct work and then attach the wall to the soffit. Which, if any, do you think is ok. Thanks so much.

Comments (4)