Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Framing basement interior wall right below duct work

Posted by ivparker (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 1, 12 at 14:08

Hey guys. I came to these forums when were building our house and now we are in the process of finishing our basement and the different builders and my dad and my husband are all in disagreement on how to build our bathroom wall as it is directly below a duct. We can't move the wall, as the plumbing was plumbed in already when we built the house, and that would be costly, as well as moving duct work. So.... we aren't so much worried about the wall falling down but if we later on try to sell the house, if it won't pass inspection if we do it wrong. So, my dad says to just nail the wall right to the duct work. We have a different builder guy that is saying to build one wall just past the duct work (that will be the storage room) and then build the bathroom wall and attach them together so that essentially the bathroom wall will still be attached to the ceiling. I think that we could just build a soffit around the duct work and then attach the wall to the soffit. Which, if any, do you think is ok. Thanks so much.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Framing basement interior wall right below duct work

If the wall is not load-bearing and the duct is not more than 2 ft wide you can just drop the top plate where necessary. That is so obvious I suspect there is an issue you haven't fully explained.

o

Yeah, so this is why I wish these men would just be willing to ask for help because I have no idea what you are saying. :)I'm not sure what a top plate is. Is that the top of the wall. So if the top of the wall is not load bearing (it isn't) it doesn't need to be attached to the ceiling somehow?

o

"I think that we could just build a soffit around the duct work and then attach the wall to the soffit".

That's the ticket!

o

Just don't attach anything to the ductwork.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here