Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kateshome_gw

Material Suggestions

kateshome
11 years ago

We are still in the preliminary stage of planning with our architect and builder but realize we need to have an idea of materials that we want to use. Materials meaning - fiber cement siding, windows (builder recommends Pella), doors (including garage), flooring (Engineered possibly?), roofing, kitchen cabinets,etc. We would be so grateful if anyone out there can tell us the name of the materials they chose, the reason for choosing those materials, and how those materials have worked out. Thanks so much!

Comments (7)

• Kathy Harrington
    11 years ago

Hi. We are in the same stage as you, so I can't give you any help on what we have chosen and what worked. But I can' tell you what we have been doing to get prepared. We are planning a custom build for cost plus contractors fee, so we want to have every line detailed before we put a shovel in the ground.

One thing I have found helpful for us, is getting samples mailed to us, research products and see them in person if possible and ask tons of questions. As you move through all the information, things will begin to be clear.

One item we are definitely using and I've seen good comments on this site about them are Kolbe triple paned windows. We are building a energy efficient home in a very cold climate, it's the windows that our builder uses and we think they will be great. Good luck with your project. It's a lot of work preparing, but can be fun as well!

• kateshome
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you harringk! We are also doing a custom build plus GC fee. I just received my first samples I requested in the mail today. They were siding samples from Nichiha. I will check out the Kolbe windows. There is going to be a homeshow in our town the beginning of March, I'm hoping many vendors with quality products will be there. Good luck with your build!

• kateshome
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you harringk! We are also doing a custom build plus GC fee. I just received my first samples I requested in the mail today. They were siding samples from Nichiha. I will check out the Kolbe windows. There is going to be a homeshow in our town the beginning of March, I'm hoping many vendors with quality products will be there. Good luck with your build!

• Kathy Harrington
    11 years ago

I requested some samples from Nichiha as well. Haven't gotten them yet. What do you think of yours?

• virgilcarter
    11 years ago

Why don't you use your architect, who designed your home, to work with you to explore and finalize exterior and interior materials. After all, who would have a better idea of the appropriate options?

You really don't have to come up with anything initially. Just meet with your architect and collaboratively assemble an appealing palette.

No one here can help you establish a palette of materials and finishes, even if we saw and completely understood your house design and your preferences.

Just because someone here likes product X, with finish Y and used it on their house doesn't mean it will be appropriate with the architectural character and detailing of your house.

Good luck on your project.

• kcinkc71
    11 years ago

Have you looked at LP smart siding? Not sure what you are doing (lap, shingle, board and batten) I like the thought of Hardie, but the LP has some plus as well. Looks good (thicker) easy to work with, doesn't break as easy as FC siding. I haven't decided for sure, but leaning towards LP smart siding

• kateshome
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks to those that have responded.

harringk - The Nichiha siding seems very sturdy as it is thick, but I don't yet have any other products to compare it to

vigilcarter- I will use our architect for help but am waiting for him to get back to us with some revisions from the preliminary plans. So I thought I would use this waiting time to familiarize myself with the different product choices. Our goal is to build a traditional colonial looking home that will fit into a neighborhood of homes that were built from 1920 - 1940.

kcinkc71 - I have not looked at LP smart siding, never heared of it actually. So thanks, I will check into it!