Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stacylh_gw

Make-up Air - Please explain what I need to tell my contractors

stacylh
11 years ago

(Cross posting this with HVAC forum)

Hello,

First of all, let me apologize if this is an issue that has been talked to death, but I am just now learning about this and my HVAC guy, contractor, and even appliance salesman are ignorant on this topic. Our area is usually behind on things.....

Anyway, we are doing a home reno that includes replacing ALL windows and doors with HE ones and we are doing a kitchen gut and replacement.

In doing so, we purchased a 36" gas rangetop and need to choose our ventilation for this. We are leaning toward a Vent-a-hood liner (hood will be made of cabinetry) that is rated 600 cfm (with 900 cfm effective, according to appliance salesman). After doing research on this, I found the topic of make-up air, which I'd never heard of before.

I consulted my contractor, HVAC guy and appliance guy and they all had very limited knowledge of this, so, basically, I need the low-down on what to tell this so they can plan/construct appropriately.

So, if you you know you're doing, please advise on the following:

1) Parts and ducting needed for Vent-a-hood system
2) Parts and ducting needed for a make-up air
3) How are range venting and make-up air linked together so the damper is opened when vent is turned on?
4) Sizing and spacing on all the above.

Our kitchen has easy access attic space above it (for the time being until drywall is replaced so I've got to hurry on this!)

Other considerations:

*2 gas furnaces (one located in basement and the other located in a crawlspace under a lower level addition
*Replacing current electric water heater to an on-demand one
*Gas fireplace (ventless)

Thanks so much!

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Maruca Design / Build
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Exceptional Residential Design and Remodeling Services in Fairfax