Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nostalgicfarm

Just for Fun! Help me Name My Farm :)

nostalgicfarm
10 years ago

Its a cold snowy day here in Nebraska. I know this is nearly totally unrelatedto this forum, but you all are such creative folks :)
We are trying to name our acreage. There is a big hill that goes down to the creek and we have and will plant a bunch more trees. We plan to put a barn, fishing pond, orchard, garden, 4-wheelers, and DH likes messing with old tractors.
I really want a name that could be used for a blog or business if I want, so something catchy would be fun. More than that though air want something that just evokes images of a fun hangout place to raise kids. I like the idea of something that "sounds" like it would've come out of a kids storybook. Like Poohs 100 acre woods. A friend has the word Briar in their acreage name, and I love that type of word because it sounds interesting but sounds original and fun also. (As fun as a prickly thicket can be!)
I don't want to use the word farm or farms, but we like Hollow, Brook, and I kind of like Woods also.
I would love to hear what you all would name a fun, but enchanting place to name kids if you were naming a farm or writing a kids book!

Comments (79)

• jdez
    10 years ago

Kneverland Knoll....lol....ok , getting back to work.

• Oaktown
    10 years ago

Tumbling Downs
    Jumping Frog Springs
    Crackerjack Creek

oh yeah . . . work

• ILoveRed
    10 years ago

Nebraska--hmmm.

How about something simple like Breezy Acres or Breezy Hill Farm or Breezy Meadow?

• nostalgicfarm
    Original Author
    10 years ago

You guys are all so much fun! I am really enjoying all the ideas, especially in this cold! If anyone comes up with one I end up using, I'll have to send you a candy basket :)

• lavender_lass
    10 years ago

Mom2sulu- I love that book! One of my very favorites :)

What about Briar Berry Downs? Or Berry Brook Meadow?

• bevangel_i_h8_h0uzz
    10 years ago

I've got one for you.

You're in Nebraska...and, while I've never visited Nebraska, Google says you're the 8th least populated state in the union which, as far as I can tell, seems to suggest that EVERYWHERE in Nebraska is pretty much in the middle of nowhere. So, I took the phrase "far from everywhere" to Google's on line translation page and started looking to see what the phrase would translate to in other languages. When I tried Welch, it kicked out what I think might very well be a winner.

According to Google's online translator, the Welch for "far from everywhere" is "bell o bob man." Wow! I immediately thought how about Bell-O-Bob-Man Farms or Bell O BobMan Acres or Bellobobman Ranch?

Bell-O-Bob-Man (however you choose to write it) certainly sounds storybookish! And the four syllables are light and lively and trip easily off the tongue. Also, to me at least, they seem to suggest some sort of half-remembered child's game on the order of Duck Duck Goose or Red Rover Red Rover or maybe some childhood mythical figure (the Bellobob Man) who appears to children to lead them in song and dance on full moon nights but a figure that adults can't see. LOL! I mean the phrase just somehow seems familiar as soon as I say even though I KNOW that it is not.

Also, if you ever decide to use Bell-O-Bob-Man (however you choose to write it) for a business name/trademark, it has the advantage of being 1) totally unique, 2) memorable, 3) easy to spell, 4) alliterative and 5) non-descriptive (which, from a legal point of view, means you get a much stronger trademark.

Anyway, I thought I'd toss it out there.

p.s. I meant NO offense to anyone from Nebraska in saying "everywhere in Nebraska is in the middle of nowhere." I was just looking for a starting point to create a name.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Mother always wanted to name her place pond view as there were ponds viewed from almost every window. She also called it little nutmeg as the pond on the property was shaped like the state of CT. The area that we are in is called blanket meadow which I always thought was a pretty name.

Does your creek have a name? What kinds of trees will you plant? Something like Cottonwood Hill would be nice.

Of course, there's always the "dew drop inn" or as the car talk guys say, "the horse you rode inn"

Will you be planting herbs? How about Good Thyme Farm?

GF's family always called her father Head as he was the head of the family and the pun on the navy term, so naturally they all lived on head acres....

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Neighbors put together their first initials and that of their last name and came up with Blythewood for their home.

• nostalgicfarm
    Original Author
    10 years ago

LL- I do like Briar Berry :). I just cant beleive settling on a name is so hard...but I guess I did settle on a name for my kids....how do people not know what they are having and wait till the hospital to pick a name? I tjink I make thibgs so hard sometimes!
    Bevangel-lol, no that is creative! I can't believe NE would be the 8th least populated state...there are a lot of really small states! And what about Wymonig? I thought there was only one family every 3000 acres there! Maybe its because they don't count illegal immigrants? Haha! Anyway, I'm 15 minutes away from Omaha and 40 min from Lincoln. So I font really feel far from anything :). The name is super fun and original though!
    Annie-Those are some sweet names :). I don't want to name after a particular tree as I am ordering 50 each of 20 varieties of trees and 50 each of 20 varieties bushes (for this spring forestry planting...haha!). That doesn't count the apple, plum, peach, nectarine, etc I hope to plant! And I would hope to have about every berry bush at the end of 10 years :). I think I could get by with naming the place Aholelottawork! But that doesn't ring sweet visions of a calm relaxing time does it?

• bpath
    10 years ago

"Happy Endings"
    "Sweet Thymes"
    Are you Danish? "Husker du" means "do you remember" in Danish. Get it? (Corn)husker? So, "Husker Dunes" (only it's pronounced Hoosker)
    "Bent Fork"(there's a tiny bakery by that name near me, but your creek may have a bend or a fork in it)

• bpath
    10 years ago

Oh, a candy business? "Sweet Thyme", "Happy Endings" . Theres a tiny bakery near me named Bent Fork, sounds like a creek, too?

• lavender_lass
    10 years ago

Briar Brook Cottage?

• lavender_lass
    10 years ago

Bramble Fairy Forest...okay, I thought this was cute, because it sounds like Bramble Berry. LOL

Time for dinner and then some sleep! :)

• nightowlrn
    10 years ago

Storytree Grove

• claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
    10 years ago

Whistle Woods

• rwiegand
    10 years ago

We named our place Full Moon Farm, primarily because the people who live there are lunatics (having invested a completely outrageous amount of time and money in the property).

• 2ajsmama
    10 years ago

Since you plan on planting so many fruit trees, what about Orchard Creek?

• nostalgicfarm
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Bp-no candy business here :). Funny you used husker...cause NE football are the huskers! Lots of husker businesses around here...I like the meaning though :)
    LL-okay...love the bramble berry name :) not sure about dh. Actually my kiddos watch Strawberry Shortcake, so I have been singing the theme song in my head all morning now since I saw your post!
    Nightowl-that makes me think of owls tree in Winnie the pooh since he always tells stories
    Rwiefand- yeah, ours will be a full moon farm by the time we are out of money and energy!
    Claire-that is a cute name
    Ajs- I like that too :)

• IWillNotFearTheStorm
    10 years ago

What a great idea! I like how the name describes the house in Green Gables from the Anne books. My grandparents had a farm in Georgia they called Meadow Gem, which I loved. Naming anything makes it special! Makes me want to think of something better than "Tornado Rebuild" for ours! :)

• nostalgicfarm
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Iwillnotfear-what a cute name your grandparents had! You could name yourpplace "something" Gem. Maybe even a Wizard of Oz character? Lion's Gem would be cute because it sounds kind of like Lion's Den.

• lavender_lass
    10 years ago

Enchanted Emerald Forest? Too Oz?

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

There was a nice inn in VT where the fellow always wanted to run an inn and finally got to do it. He called it the Inn at Long Last.

• bpath
    10 years ago

Wild Kingdom, to honor "Mutual of Omaha's" TV show in the he 60s with Marlin Perkins.

And yes, I was thinking of the 'Huskers with Husker du.

• bpath
    10 years ago

Windswept?
    You must have wonderful night skies, something like Starry Skies?

• lavender_lass
    10 years ago

Oh, I like Windswept...that's nice! Windswept Hollow maybe?

• bpath
    10 years ago

Sounds pretty, but I don't think a hollow can be windswept? Hubs used to live on Breezy Lawn, I always liked that name. We also made fun of the town he was in, Spring Grove, and nicknamed it Grovely Springs :)

Hey, nostalgic, what kind of wildlife do you see around there? Ptarmigans, foxes, bobwhites, katydids, deer?

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

There is a road in my town, the name of which everyone loves: Popple Bottom Rd.

How about Popple Bottom Hollow/Grove/Brook?

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

Another good word is "Knoll".

"Nutmeg Knoll"

I love the word "nutmeg"

"Apple Pie A-la-bode"

"Furry Tail Farm" (Fairytale Farm)

• hilltop_gw
    10 years ago

Wistful Acres
    Nodding Hill Acres
    Cobblestone Cottage
    Willowbrook Lodge
    Middleton Manor

• Shelly09
    10 years ago

Wind n The Woods
    ~or
    Creek Wood

• bpath
    10 years ago

Willowood
    Willowdale

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

NE state insect is the honeybee, which is a great word.

"Honeybee Hive"

"Honeybee Hollow"

"Honeybee Mine" (appropriate suggestion on Valentine's Day!)

"Honeybee Colony"

"Honeybee Haven"

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

"Headin' Back Acres" (get it?)

• DirtandYarn
    10 years ago

Looking into the history of your land might give you some ideas. Here's some names:

Wise Owl Overlook
    Stuffed Bunny's Retreat
    Great Goose Rest Stop

• nostalgicfarm
    Original Author
    10 years ago

What fun ideas! I have to say that our old place was the windiest place on our mailman's route-so glad this place is barely ever windy, and then it is just a breeze :)
    I like furry tail, honeybee, and wise owl....how fun!

Bp-We get deer, raccoons, turkey, pheasants, and I guess there have been some bobcats :). DH wants to plant prairie grass and do everything possible to attract wildlife. I want to raise mini cattle, every edible fruit tree/bush and have an organic heirloom garden. I had chickens and would like them again. I would maybe someday like a greenhouse business, but see this land as our multi-hobby farm :). I think that is why I hate to be too specific in my name :).

• nostalgicfarm
    Original Author
    10 years ago

What fun ideas! I have to say that our old place was the windiest place on our mailman's route-so glad this place is barely ever windy, and then it is just a breeze :)
    I like furry tail, honeybee, and wise owl....how fun!

Bp-We get deer, raccoons, turkey, pheasants, and I guess there have been some bobcats :). DH wants to plant prairie grass and do everything possible to attract wildlife. I want to raise mini cattle, every edible fruit tree/bush and have an organic heirloom garden. I had chickens and would like them again. I would maybe someday like a greenhouse business, but see this land as our multi-hobby farm :). I think that is why I hate to be too specific in my name :).

• bpath
    10 years ago

Your plans sound idyllic: something with Eden in it? Eden Hollow, Edendale, etc. Or borrow and build on the name of your wonderful Omaha zoo and create Doorlydale (I really like that zoo, the aquarium is cool)

• mushcreek
    10 years ago

I like some of the more unusual names for 'farm', such as 'croft'. Willowcroft?

I don't know if you posted your heritage- ours is Swedish, so farm= gard.

We may use the fact that our area was known for moonshine activity. There is even evidence of it on our property! We are thinking of Bootleg Hill Farm.

The house is taking a long time, as I am building it singlehandedly, so it will be called Timely Manor.

• thisishishouse
    10 years ago

Bp-We get deer, raccoons, turkey, pheasants, and I guess there have been some bobcats :).

Pheasant Plucker Farm

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

Say "Pheasant Plucker" ten times fast and see if that doesn't give the farm a rather colorful name! Or, another way, just switch the "h" and the "l" around. Nostalgic Farm will get a rep!

Mushcreek: Lol@"Timely Manor". Bootleg Hill Farm. Also, Still Hill Farm. Hooch Hill Farm.

Nostalgic Farm: "Dream Acres" (Dream Makers). Or some version thereof: Enchanted Dream Acres...

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

...see this land as our multi-hobby farm...

Perfect! Call it Hobbyhill Farm or just Hobby Hill or Hobby Hill Creek or Hobby Hill Brook or Hobby Brook Hill...

• caminnc
    10 years ago

How about Fable Farm or Fairy Tale something; Fairy Tale Forrest, Farm, Acres, Grove ect. Another one that's all inclusive would be Storybook Farm, Grove ect.

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

Whip or Whirl Manse

• O N
    10 years ago

My family property is called Sunnynook Estate, named after the little prairie town my Grandma grew up in.

• dedtired
    10 years ago

Going with the idea of a small population in the state but a family living there -- Alone Together Farm?

Because your husband likes tractors -- Dear John Farm?

This is fun. I followed the link to this thread.

• Shelly09
    10 years ago

Woode Wyns

It'll Do Farm

This post was edited by Shelly09 on Sat, Feb 15, 14 at 17:51

• LE
    10 years ago

I love the word "prairie," plus it fits. It also looks good written, if that makes any sense.

I wouldn't go too alliterative or "punny" although those are fun to play with. Imagine it on a logo. Imagine saying it on the phone.

Also, I find a lot of the three-name options sound too much like generic American subdivision names, and your place will be so much more interesting and diverse than that!

Good luck! You'll know it when you see it.

• louisianagal
    10 years ago

Since you have so many plans and dreams, maybe something like Dreamy Acres or Dreamland Woods? or Hopes and Dreams Hollow (Hopes n Dreams Hollow). But you don't want it to sound like your hopes and dreams are hollow (not coming to fruition). OMG, I just looked at this definition ! (warning, if I ever name my place I may use this word, but I will only be in the south, north too cold for me): Fruition:
    fru÷i÷tion
    noun
    the point at which a plan or project is realized.
    "the plans have come to fruition sooner than expected"
    fulfillment, realization, actualization, materialization, achievement, attainment, accomplishment, resolution; More
    literary
    the state or action of producing fruit.

• nostalgicfarm
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wow! I am just in awe of the number of responses! I love that there is somebody following this thread!
    I keep rereading all the suggestions. They are all wonder full. I think I am still waiting for that perfect name. I really want something that evokes visions of little storybook creatures playing :). Without saying Storybook Critter Hollow. I feel like I am so close....
    Before I started this thread, we were stuck on Honey Brook Hollow. I do like it and think it sounds play full. I'm just not sure that it is the right name!
    Thank you all for all your ideas. Having a community come IP with such great ideas to what I thought was an off-topic subject is so awesome!

• bpath
    10 years ago

There was a book about an estate called "Fablehaven".