Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
michelledt

Cable Rail

MichelleDT
12 years ago

Has anyone installed cable rail? Which company did you use (Feeney)? Are you happy with them? Willing to share pics??

I saw a recent ad in Builder Magazine for a new easy install system - Quick Connect which eliminates crimping and compression fittings. Our builder has never used the product and is just starting his own research.

Thanks.

Comments (8)

• Lyns06
    12 years ago

I love the look of cable railing.. my husband and I researched and researched it! We even looked into the stainless tubing rather than cable rails. There seem to be a lot of new and easier systems available now rather than when we were researching it. It was was mostly used outdoors at the time.. and we wanted it indoors.

While I still love the look, we nixed the idea and went with a more contemporary stainless vertical baluster. We did that because we have children and realized how dangerous it could potentially be for kids!

I don't have much more to offer for advice except to think about potential hazards for kids if you do go with it. however, if you don't have children around, it's lovely to look at! Also, the quick connects can be pretty pricey from what I understand, but there are a lot of dealers on Ebay and places such as that who you might be able to get some good deals from.

We were going to go with a local garage door parts wholesaler for our cable. It's the same stuff, just used differently and marketed differently, with a much cheaper price range. You might be able to find a non-stair source for the cable and save some $$ if you look hard enough! Good luck!

• dekeoboe
    12 years ago

We are going with Feeney. Haven't installed it yet, so I can't tell you anything about it.

• User
    12 years ago

Parts and pieces from an industrial metal supply company will be much cheaper than the items marketed as "railings". A simple turnbuckle system is easy and not that expensive to install compared to the "systems".

• MichelleDT
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Lyns06!

• david_cary
    12 years ago

And I have a 2 year old and I don't consider it dangerous. It is code compliant so you can take that for what it is worth regarding safety. In our case, climbing and getting over is a concern but it is 6 feet down to sand so we are not talking a significant injury. He has tried and gotten such a stern warning that he hasn't tried again. He will of course....

• MichelleDT
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks David - would love to know what your builder used. We are getting prices at about $70 linear foot so $50 is a good savings. We have a ton of railing.

M

• SpringtimeHomes
    12 years ago

In regards to safety, it may help to cap it with a thicker 2x member, creating more of an overhang at the top.