Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Metal Roofing

Posted by MichelleDT (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 24, 12 at 12:24

Is a basic standing seam metal roof really less expensive (considerably less) than concrete tile roofing?

I am getting conflicting information. Half say yes, half say no. We are in the design phase and I would prefer a metal roof to go with the overall design of the home which is contemporary.

Thanks experts.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Metal Roofing

It was in our case on the house we build in 2004. Also, we loved the metal roof. It wasn't noisy, reflected heat and our energy bills were amazing. We are building again (as soon as we get the plan together)and disappointed the subdivision will not allow metal roofs.

o

Get real world estimates, multiple, from reputable roofing contractors in your area. If you are d.i.y., get estimates from suppliers. In most cases standing seam will be less dependent on how cut up your roof is, but you would be wise to go a little heavier gauge on the metal if you go that route. A little more expense but more stable if you are in windy , hail, heavy rainfall area. Obviously you aren't in a freezing climate area considering concrete tile.

o

Thanks...yes, we need estimates...we are in design and I love the look of the metal roof. Should go to bid in two weeks so we will see. Just wondered if not was the time to reconsider roofing.

M

o

Just FYI, if you are in an area that gets heavy snow fall, snow sliding off our metal roof took out our wood stove chimney twice before we rerouted it through the side of the house. But we're high in the Sierras - major snow.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here