Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rushmom3

Looking for a Farmhouse plan

rushmom3
16 years ago

This is my first time posting in this forum. I look forward to hearing from all of you experts out there. We are a family of 5. Kids ages are 7, 5, and 2. We are building in the country and I would love to find a nice farmhouse plan. When I drive through the country I'm always drawn to the old farmhouses. As far as floor plan we are looking at about 2100 sq ft. We'd like both a living room and great room and either 4 bedrooms or 3 bedrooms with a bonus room. I prefer plans with the laundry/mudroom entry from the garage and it HAS TO have a nice front porch. Lastly, my DH requires a 3 car garage. I think I've searched the typical online sites and I find many plans labeled 'farmhouse' but they don't jump out at me. I'll try to attach a couple that have caught my eye. Am I looking for the impossible? Thanks in advance for your help!!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Farmhouse plan

Comments (41)

• solie
    16 years ago

A front-facing garage doesn't say "farmhouse" to me. I think an attached garage would look OK, but I think it would look better is it were not so obviously incorporated into the main structure.

It also seems like you are looking to squeeze a lot into 2100 sq ft. You might want to go with a basement.

This plan is simple and nice and you could possibly forgo the open space to achieve a bonus room.

Here is a link that might be useful: southern living Hampton Bay retreat

• shawneeks
    16 years ago

Depends on your opinion of what 'farmhouse' looks like. We have 4 BR (master main level) Laundry 'near' the main entry, but a door could have been added, as it shares a wall with the garage. Garage could easily be extended to a 3rd bay. It is 2600 sq ft. I agree, it will be hard to get all you want in 2100 sq ft, as we don't have wasted space. It has both open porch and screened porch. Obviously not exactly what you want, but if it's close I could share more.

• ponydoc
    16 years ago

Solie made some great points. If you are building in the country on any acreage at all, try and stay away from a front garage. Floor plans with front opening garages are usually designed to accomodate narrow lots. If you don't have a narrow lot- take advantage of it!

I also think you are asking for a lot in 2100 square feet. I had many of the same requirements you have and most of the plans that 'fit' were around 3000.

Our house plan fits your requirements- although we only have 3 bedrooms ( large) and it's just over 3400 sq ft plus a 2000 sq ft basement.

This is another house I have always admired. Doesn't have an attached garage but that could be easily designed. It's around 2200 sq feet.

Here is a link that might be useful: Farmhouse

• ponydoc
    16 years ago

Shawneeks

Your home is lovely!

• lindybarts
    16 years ago

Okay, I just found the coolest website that helps you design your own plan. I tried to punch in all your requirements. It was about 2100 sq. ft until I added the bonus room above the garage and now it's 2700. But you can play around with it. You can start with a plan and make modifications online. You can change the windows, dormers, exterior material etc. I had never seen this before...I love it! Hope the link works to my "project"

Oh shoot...the link won't work. Here's a screen capture of what I came up with. I linked the main site below for you to play with.

Here is a link that might be useful: Original Home

• rushmom3
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oh thank you for all your thoughts! I may not have explained myself very well. We don't have to have a bonus room. We were looking at 4 bedroom floor plans OR 3 bedroom floorplans that offered a bonus area over the garage (to be used as a 4th bedroom down the road). At 2240 the plan that I attached does have almost everything we want, but the front entry garage was not doing it for me. I just found it hard to believe that there weren't more "farmhouse" looking farmhouse plans.

Shawneeks, your house is gorgeous! I just don't think we could do 2600 sq ft.

Ponydoc, that house you attached is beautiful! See, that is what I'm talking about. I don't know, I guess I like the idea of a new house that doesn't stick out as a new house. Odd, I know!

Lindybarts, I will definitely check out that website. I knew there were things out there that I just hadn't found!

Thanks!!

• ponydoc
    16 years ago

Here's another one. Just add a garage spot.

Here is a link that might be useful: Farmhouse plan

• mightyanvil
    16 years ago

Most of these designs are too complex and therefore look more like short Colonial Revivals than farmhouses.

Combining a 3-car garage with a house type that never had attached garages will be a design challenge.

Here is one by Jeremiah Eck

• ponydoc
    16 years ago

Rushmom

There are several people here whose goal is to build a "new old house". Our house is a colonial farmhouse but right now ( without shutters) looks very shaker/Amish. The home I posted is one I look at with some regret - it was one of our other high contenders but we opted for a different plan for a couple of reasons. That plan would have looked great on our property- we live on a farm. The one we chose looks like it has always been here.

Here's the front elevation. I just took a picture of the house as it looks right now but can't get it to download for some reason... here's the front elevation.

• rushmom3
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Mightanvil. That is exactly the one that ponydoc attached. I fell in love with it. On the website ponydoc attached, they actually have a version of it with a garage, but it is only 2 stalls and we would need a 4th bedroom. I am in love with the look and style though. It is what I've been looking for, but I understand what you are saying about an attached 3 stall garage. I'll just have a hard time getting it out of my head! What are your thoughts about taking the first house I attached and somehow how doing a side entry garage?

• ponydoc
    16 years ago

mighty anvil

That is the exact home I posted for Rushmom. I have always loved that house.

I have a love/hate relationship with our attached garage. We have lived without an attached garage for 14 years and the pure convenience and practicality won out - particularly in our climate. Ten inches of snow today...

On the other hand, even though it is off the back of house - it's a behemoth. We did site the house so the garage blocks the view that is least desireable.

PD

• solie
    16 years ago

I think the key thing with an attached garage (for a farmhouse on a rural property) is to make it look attached, rather than incorporated into the house.

Any attached garage is less authentic, but if you worry too much about authenticity you will end up with an outhouse.

Rushmom, in the link you provide the garage looks too much like it's built into the house. In the other elevations posted the garage is under a completely different segment of roof. IMHO, it makes a big difference.

That farmhouse with the green roof is very nice.

• lyfia
    16 years ago

Here is one that is 2198 and has both 4th and bonus room and more than adequate garage space.

Not as simple as I would have expected a farmhouse style to be, but could probably be modified to work.

One Coolhouseplans plan

They also have a lot of others and I think you can search on farmhouse plans only. There are lots of house plan sites like it too.

• mightyanvil
    16 years ago

Here is the Field of Dreams #2 house. It has a 2 car garage attached.

I had always thought this house had been designed by Eck because he included it in one of his books. I finally found the credits in the back of the book.

Perhaps the garage should be attached only at one corner and look like a horse barn. I would hate to cover up windows in house like this.

Here is a link that might be useful: Field of Dreams 2

• jessica07
    16 years ago

We're building a house around 2200 sq ft that has everything you're looking for except a large front porch. It has a small front porch, more decorative than functional.

We opened the floor plan up. Just personal preference. But the original called for a separate living room and family room. The original also called for 4 bedrooms, instead of 3. There are photos on our blog.

Here is a link that might be useful: Our house blog

• ajpl
    16 years ago

Although attached garages were not heard of in old farm houses (here anyway) there were farm houses with attached barns or large woodsheds. Maybe you could maintain the farmhouse look by having the garage look a bt less garage-y and a bit morn barn-ish?

Google house with attached barn and you will get some ideas.

• john_boylan
    16 years ago

Personal prejudices from spending way too much time driving around on the backroads of KY/TN/AL:

Country farmhouses tend to have deep front porches. 10 ft is good, 12 ft is better.

Few country farmhouses have shutters. Some plantation homes do, but not many farmhouses.

Country farmhouses typically have double-hung windows that are longer than they are wide (they're tall), and few windows are ganged together, except in dormers. They don't have palladian windows.

Except for dormers, country farmhouses typically have simple rooflines. Dormers are more typically shed dormers used to make more livable space in story-and-a-half farmhouses. Two-story farmhouses, if they have dormers at all, have smaller doghouse types with windows smaller than those on the 1st & 2nd floors. The doghouse dormers are typically no wider that the window plus its trim.

Country farmhouses don't have attached garages. But, if you live in the country, these days you don't really want passerbys to know at a glance whether or not you're home. Country farmhouses do oftentimes have wings coming off the back of the house (originally for more bedrooms, or to move a separately housed kitchen under the main house roof) and that would probably be the best place to put a side-entry garage if you can shield it from sight on that side. A carport to the rear works well also.

Country farmhouses have outbuildings. Everybody needs a smokehouse, or a shed to keep the wagon in. Husbands might even not mind dashing through the rain to the house from their barn workshop or giving up a three-car garage if they have that workshop. Outbuildings aren't a necessity, but they sure spell country.

The farmhouse both ponydoc and mightyanvil like is the best example of a two-story farmhouse that's been posted to date. I'd lose the screened-in gazebo and the side carport (or at least try to make it a side-attached porte-cochere, if someone could come with a good design for same).

So, does anyone have any good-looking Bungalow Style country farmhouses they want to share?

• rushmom3
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you everybody.

Jessica07 I actually saw your post when I searched the forum for farmhouses. I hadn't checked your blog lately and everything is coming along nicely. You're right it has a lot of what we are looking for. I will keep up on your progress!

Lyfia, I did actually find that house. I have searched all the popular sites for farmhouses, but I guess they just aren't as "farmhouse" style as I was looking for. On those sites, the ones labeled "farmhouse" seem more country than farmhouse.

John Boylan, you hit the nail on the head. I appreciate your input.

Having a detached garage is not an option for us, so I'll have to look into options there. And I have to be practical. I may have to tweak a country style home to get the look that I want.

Thank you all very much for you helping me. I knew you would have a lot of good advice and info!!

• booboo60
    16 years ago

This is a neat looking one :) www.globalhouseplans.com
    plan#13-42

• lyfia
    16 years ago

rushmom3 - I think in a lot of the plans you find that you think look too country jsut imagine them with less adornements and a farmhouse siding. You need to try to look beyond the shutters and windows that may not work.

For example in the one I posted I would change the following to make it more simple. No shutters. No eyebrow windows, just the regular rectangular ones. No bump out on 2nd story, just one roof peek and not the double lines of roof on the peek. A facia board running across the garage gable instead of the little bit of roof there. etc.

Try to look at some of the ones you find and see how some simple mods could make them more what you are looking for. If they have the basic shape and it is just some simple trim things then it should be fairly easy to get what you want in the plan as well as the look.

Take pictures of the ones you see driving around that you like and look at plans to see how you can achieve the same exterior look. I'm guessing for most it is just a matter of choice in the materials.

• eventhecatisaboy
    16 years ago

This plan may or may not be what you are looking for, but I thought I would take a chance and post it anyway. I thought of your post when I received the American Profile magazine in our newspaper. It had The Waltons house on the cover and I thought of your search. Crazy how that happens...at least my DH thinks I am! LOL!

Anywho, this house was the closest I could find to the Waltons, but with a modern twist! LOL!

Enjoy it fwiw!

Here is a link that might be useful: Modern Day Walton Farmhouse

• eventhecatisaboy
    16 years ago

I went to William E. Poole's website and found actual pictures of the Walton/Homestead home plan. Very pretty imo. Hope it helps!

Here is a link that might be useful: Poole's Homestead Plan

• jenanla
    16 years ago

Here's one.

Here is a link that might be useful: Classic Colonial Homes Putney Farmhouse

• john_boylan
    16 years ago

That is indeed a lovely home, and the floorplan is very reminiscent of my grandparents' home. Their parlor and dining room were flipped, and instead of windows on the front porch they had french doors opening to the porch. Holidays at that farm were almost magical; a big fire in the parlor fireplace, the old oil heater pouring out heat which spilled out the french doors onto the porch, and us cousins running in and out every other second while the grownups sat either in the parlor or dining room arguing politics or talking farming while they enjoyed their coffee and smokes. A real hill-country homecoming every Thanksgiving and Christmas. Thanks for sharing the plan.

• ponydoc
    16 years ago

This is a great thread. This thread has listed almost every farm house plan we seriously considered.

Our first plan- the one that got us really looking was Wm Poole's Homestead. I actually think the Fieldstone Farm plan of his is very similar with more back hall space. Pics I saw of the Homestead finished didn't have the pitch on the roof the rendering seems to show. I really love a steep roof.

We picked the plan we did for several reasons but our clutter room is the main reason. Will be posting pics later this week once countertops are installed.

Another house we really considered was this one...... saw it in a seatback magazine on a plane..... great company to talk too..... if I built again I would really consider going this direction. This home was the one I inquired about....it was built for a vet - when I inquired they were amazed because I am also a vet.

I can hardly look at this company's website..... lovely lovely homes. SO many house, so little time.

Here is a link that might be useful: Conner Homes farm house

• rushmom3
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Wow! I didn't get to check in yesterday and missed these great posts! You guys are amazing. This is exactly what I was looking for. Some sites ideas out there that could give me a ideas. It's amazing how relaxing these homes look to me. (even though we'll obviously be taking on more work living in the country!) There's something about a front porch and open air. Ahh. Thank you! I am going to go browse these sites.

• tinker_2006
    16 years ago

wanna move to TN? We have an all most new home for sale on 47 acres with a brand new barn!

4 bedrooms with bonus room

• ponydoc
    16 years ago

Finally got my computer to work

Here's the pic of the front of our house. We won't have the porch railings etc until spring. You can get the idea. As mentioned we are going without shutters as we feel it has a more farmhouse feel with out. Took this out the window of our current ( to be torn down) house.

• mrfarmhouse
    15 years ago

ponydoc

I like your house, how wide is it? Also where did you get the plans? How many SF is it?

• ponydoc
    15 years ago

Thank you Mrfarmhouse!

I do believe the house is 84 feet wide.

Bought a stock plan and msde modifications.

Link to the plan.... it's 3412 plus the full basement. We actually enlarged the basement and made it a walk out.

Let me know if you build it! I'd love to see it. I will try to do some updated pics soon.

Here is a link that might be useful: Our house plan

• marthaelena
    15 years ago

Shawneeks
    You have a beautiful home!

Could you please tell me how you attached the porch posts to the slab? Hopefully you can show a picture of that. Thanks!

• marjen
    15 years ago

Here are the plans to my new home, it is a farmhouse style. Maybe it will help you get some ideas.

Here is a link that might be useful: farmhouse

• mommyjackson
    15 years ago

Pony doc,

My husband and I just bought 10 acres in the country and are planning to build a farmhouse style home. We absolutely fell in love with your house from the picture posted here. Do you have any pics of the finished house we could see? Thanks so much and congrats on your new home!

• greyridge
    15 years ago

mommyjackson & ponydoc,
    I am very new to these postings but I would like more info about this plan & pictures as well. My wife & I picked this house as favorite & now I stumbled on this post. We would really appreciate any assitance.

• ponydoc
    15 years ago

Sorry I have missed this post until this time. I posted some recent pics of the front of the house. I will bump the post to the top. I will also post a floorplan. We adore our new home!!

• hailefinn
    15 years ago

Interesting thread.
    ponydoc--I really like all your porches, clutter room and country kitchen.

We live in the country and built our home in 1979--not my ideal home by what I like today.

If I could build another home I would insist it be more country type. I would want a lifetime tin roof secured with screws. Regulations limit size of roof overhangs today so I would want a wrap around porch--to provide shade for windows and eliminate the need for window coverings. No carpets---all wood and tile floors with area rugs in some rooms. I would like a plan that allows for cross ventilation for the times of year that windows could be left open.

An outdoor clean up / shower area (we don't have)would be mighty useful in the country. Between HD's garden tractor work, kids making mudpies, riding 4 wheelers and washing vegetables the cleanup area would be mighty useful.

• blueharvestmama
    15 years ago

Greetings! For those of you that were interested in the Healthy Homes Plan's "Field of Dreams" Farmhouse pictured back on Tue, Feb 12, we're in the process of building this home :o) Well, actually it's a blended version of the original Field of Dreams plan and the Field of Dreams 2 plan... in addition to our own individual tweaking and modifications due to our sloping lot, LOL! In addition to several floor plan layout changes, we also added a walkout basement and a detached 2 car garage with and apartment above which will eventually be attached to the house by a breezeway. Above grade we're approximately 2500 sq. ft. and the basement is about 1300.

We've created a blog for our farm adventures, including our home's construction which has been a roller coaster ride with it's ups and downs! Our blog can be found at www.blueharvestfarm.net where we're tracking the progress if anyone is interested. We're currently wrapping up the garage apartment so we can move in while the house is being finished and we should have lots of updated pictures of the house (which is now framed, woo hoo!) this weekend.

Enjoy and best of luck to everyone building their own "dream" farmhouse!

Here is a link that might be useful: Blue Harvest Farm

• tinny
    15 years ago

Blueharvestmama, we are also building a combination of the Field of Dreams 1 & 2! Our plan looks similar to yours. I just bookmarked your blog, I can't wait to see some of your pictures. We are working on our foundation, and, hopefully, framing wil begin in the next week or so. I'll be sure to post whenever I get our blod up and runnning- it will be fun to follow eachother's progress!

• Pam Wedel
    15 years ago

I have also been looking for a year or so for the perfect farmhouse plan, but my hubby and I are empty nesters, so we have different criteria than you do. However, I have decided my favorite plan designer is Moser Design Group, and they offer a lot of plans. Some of their designs are in the Southern Living house plan site, while others are only on their website. I like the idea of their Evolution Series - you build a main house, then as time/money permits, you add connectors and additional buildings. In my opinion, they have the best style of any of the design sites I have seen. Hope this helps!

Here is a link that might be useful: Moser Design Group

• sehuttonand7
    7 years ago

Ponydoc, I realize this is a really old thread. I love your house. Link to the floor plan not working, could you link again?