Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lexmomof3

Help me select between these two custom entry doors

lexmomof3
11 years ago

I have to decide ASAP between these two doors. The only difference is one has a solid door (below) and the other has a 3/4 lite door (next post). The door will be painted black and the side lites and transom will be painted white. The house style is traditional, red brick with covered porch.

Comments (21)

• lexmomof3
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here's the same door with 3/4 lite.

• lucy0214
    11 years ago

I like the second one.

• pps7
    11 years ago

I like the 1st one.

• myhappyspace
    11 years ago

I like the first

• kirkhall
    11 years ago

I like the first too. What direction will it be pointing? Are you in the country? Will the 9lite have equal lites (it doesn't look like it in the picture)? Do you need the light in your entry?

• lexmomof3
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The door will be on the west side of the house and we're in a neighborhood so privacy is a bit of an issue but the lots are large and we're set back off of the road quite a bit. The 9 lite door does NOT have equally sized lites because the mullions (I think that is the right term) should line up with the points on the transom above. If they were equally divided, they would not line up with the mullions on the transom.

• palimpsest
    11 years ago

With a fanlight and sidelights I would do a solid door.

Also the few glass doors I have seen on historic houses with sidelights and fanlight, the glass in the door has generally been one large pane of beveled glass.

• millworkman
    11 years ago

Muntins would be the correct term, and I prefer the first.

• athensmomof3
    11 years ago

Definitely the first.

• kateskouros
    11 years ago

the first door, definitely.
    the second door is much too busy and "country" cottage-y.

This post was edited by kateskouros on Mon, Feb 11, 13 at 17:00

• kaijutokusatsu
    11 years ago

I like the first solid door. The west sun can be too bright sometimes.

• Linda Gomez
    11 years ago

I like the second one. I like how the mullions line up both ways. I think the lites will break up the black slab.

• MrsBrad
    11 years ago

I like the 2nd one!

• bevangel_i_h8_h0uzz
    11 years ago

Have you considered whether the muntins will be black, white, brass, or some other color. You want to make sure that if you get the nine-light door, the muntins will not clash colorwise with the leading in your fanlight and sidelights.

Personally, I like the look of glass in my front doors but I'd want something more than just flat pieces of glass.

I have half-light prairie-style doors on my back doors and love them. But on the front door, I wanted leaded glass or some frosted glass or something to lend a little bit more sparkle and provide a tiny bit more of a sense of privacy when someone rings the front door bell. Yes, they can see in but what they see is broken up and diffracted by the decorative glass. At the back door, where I have the half-light doors, one sees in like looking through an uncurtained window. Not the look I want on the front door.

• kirkhall
    11 years ago

I would go with the first option, given your answers to my questions. But, so far, we seem to be fairly divided in opinion (GWers), so you are probably "fine" with either one.

I enjoy more privacy to my front door, and given that you have the side lights and transom, that would definitely suit me for windows/light in a west-facing door.

• carsonheim
    11 years ago

They both are stunning. Whichever one you *don't* want, I'll take! Who is making your doors?

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

I'd go with the solid door esp with a traditional brick house...room for a nice brass door knocker on it....

• mtnrdredux_gw
    11 years ago

I much prefer the first. The formality of the fanlight and sidelight dictates a solid wood door IMHO.

• sombreuil_mongrel
    11 years ago

Hi,
    I dislike the second because of the uneven make-up of the panes. They are not different enough to look like an intentional choice, but rather an unfortunate accident.
    Casey

• wishiwasinoz
    11 years ago

Another vote for #1 or solid!

• lexmomof3
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks everyone! You all were very helpful in thinking through how the door will look with the other elements of the house. I have the same gothic style grille in several dormer windows above as well as some other decorative elements so I think that the solid door will best pull all of those pieces together. Also, I really want the transom to stand out and not blend in with the door below. I must say...I was definitely leaning the other way as I think the second door is beautiful but your input helped me visualize how it will look when combined with the windows, etc. Thanks again!
    Carsonheim - I'm getting it from a building supply company but I'm not sure who their supplier is. The woman has been great. She has called several supplies and gotten quotes for me in various wood species and other options. I think I'll be very pleased with the door assuming it is what she's requested. I'm waiting on confirmation on some of the details but it is very reasonably price...at least compared to the initial quote I got for the same door.