Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thewitchdoctor

Begging for help with floorplan

Thewitchdoctor
10 years ago

Construction has begun and I need to meet with drafter ASAP to give him corrections to the prelim plan. Since our basement walls have been poured and foundation for garage there are some constraints ( the retaining walls and outline of basement).- I hate the retaining wall in back but it's there and I doubt that I can do much about it.

4100 sf lodge/ rustic style with rusted tin roof

1)I'm not in love with front of house - see bottom pic where I'm trying to see what I can do with those windows. Husband wants windows in front for passive solar heating. Any ideas???

This is my first time posting a pic too.

2) please give any ideas or suggestions on floor plan

Example of look and feel we want

Comments (6)

• mrspete
    10 years ago

Overall, I like it. The room sizes look comfortable but not bloated. The layout is nice. My comments:

- I'd prefer the laundry near the master closet. This isn't a make-or-break, but I prefer it.
    - The master bath is all doors, which is very common in new plans, but I think they'd just be in the way. The toilet closet is narrow and the uncomfortable type which must be "backed into" -- the worst to clean, the worst for an elderly person. Also, I'd combine the closets to eliminate one door.
    - I can't read the dimensions of the bedrooms. Is the secondary bedroom big enough for comfort?
    - I think I'd prefer the back door by the dining area, but that is opinion.

• Thewitchdoctor
    Original Author
    10 years ago

MrsPete,
    Thank you!
    The guestroom on main level is 12x11- should be enough for Queen bed but now that you point it out maybe we can do 12x12

I need help with master bath perhaps because it seems like a lot of wasted space in front of sink.I absolutely want the WC. We are actually putting the outhouse that is on our farm in the master bath ( the wood and tin roof). I know people either love or hate the idea of WC.

I could get rid of arch entry that leads to master to gain more space In master bath or great room. ????

• littlebug5
    10 years ago

I agree with Mrs. Pete that the laundry room location is very poor. Tho, this may be just what you need considering that you are building on an acreage and need to shuck off dirty clothes just inside the back door. I also agree on the master closet access - 1 door is plenty.

The front powder room - seems to me that I wouldn't want to see a toilet as almost the very first thing just inside the front door. Change the door swing as drawn, or reconfigure the powder room and the adjacent bathroom.

There's a whole lot of wasted space in the entry/bottom of the great room. You need moving-around, hallway space there, but you seem to have way too much. Also, isn't there some way to make use of any under-or-over-the-stairwell space? Maybe the front door closet could be moved there, giving you more space in that scrunched up bedroom bathroom.

I love the decks and porches. I'd like to see the view you are capturing! Are you sure you have enough windows? I can see there aren't enough for me.

• Thewitchdoctor
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Littlebug5,
    I'm planning on putting baby grand piano at bottom of great room where staircase is- thinking placement there will allow light to get to rest of great room instead of blocking it with closet.

Powder room: would you rather have bathroom near front door ( the entry door opens so that it should block immediate view into powder room if powder room door is open) OR powder room closer to great room where people will be spending most of the time??? My thought was that I just don't like to use a bathroom close to where people are gathered. Ohhh I don't know. Ths is hard I'm going to have to live with this the rest of my life I don't see us ever selling. We have 230 acres.

Windows- yes there will be too many!!! ( they aren't all drawn on prelim- just the front elevation and I'm not sure I like the windows as drawn on the front)I told husband he couldn't have glass everywhere like he wanted though!!!

My laundry/ mudroom will stay where it is but I appreciate other's opinions :) I ride horses and he hunts so this is the most important room in house.
    The barn will be on other side of garage.

We both want our own closets too.

View is ugly right now but in about 6 weeks will be beautiful with the green grass and trees

• LawPaw
    10 years ago

Dr.Witch, I love the plan! It's economical but spacious and open.

I would swing the door out in the master bath toilet room. I'm paranoid about out swing bathroom doors because I want to be able to interrupt a door being opened if I'm on the toilet, but since the toilet room is already in a bathroom, you'd be more comfortable getting in and out if it swings out.

I would also move the master bath door over a smidge to make sure it doesn't open into a person at the master vanity.

I would also center the french doors on the covered porch jut out.

I like the laundry room placement. My wife insisted on a similar placement because having it next to the kitchen was a requirement for her. I was strictly prohibited from doing laundry a few years ago, so what she says goes.

Unless your front looks out into a sea of garbage, you can't have too many windows. Even then, you probably can't have too many windows.

Naturally, ignore everything I said if you prefer it different.

Looks great though! Makes me want to ride horseback.

• Iowacommute
    10 years ago

I read your husband is interested in passive solar, but that's something you have to plan for before you build and not during. If you've already oriented the house to (it seems slight SE is preferred) and have calculated your overhangs then ignore what I said.

There is more math-to figure the amount of Southern facing windows and then limiting or eliminating windows to other directions like West being the main one. Check out the website Green Building Advisor, and you will find some help on passive solar if you haven't started looking yet.

Good luck.