Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need help with windows, please! Tan vs White issue

Posted by southernmum (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 2, 13 at 12:09

I'm hoping some of you building pros can help me out! Now that we've picked out our stone, it's becoming clear to me that tan/beige windows would look best on the exterior. However, my builder says that if they're tan on the outside, that they're tan on the inside. That doesn't work for me! I like seeing white windows on the inside, as all of my trim will be white. He says that to get white on the inside, we will have to MAJORLY increase our window budget. Ugh... we've already gone over on so many things in our budget, I really don't want to increase the cost of this house any more. So, here are my questions: do you have any recommendations on windows that can be one color on the inside, different color on the outside? and 2) if you have tan/beige windows on the inside, do you like them and could you post a few pics? Many thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need help with windows, please! Tan vs White issue

Are they vinyl? Why can't the exterior be white?

o

She wants tan on the outside and white on the inside because the tan works better with the stone color and the white works better with the interior trim.

o

We just went through this, we picked the tan color. I didn't even think about the interior until they were installed. My white kitchen went out the window because te white looked cold to me next to the windows. Out trim will be the same color as our windows and walls lighter. I like the idea now. Trim is being installed and walls painted next week. Our house is at the foot of the mountains in the south so sort of rustic. Ill post pics of the trim after it gets painted. Let me see if I can find window pics.

o

I don't really have good one of interior. Our builder did it in another house and honestly I didn't even notice. We're happy with ours.

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

o

You didn't mention what type of windows you are getting. My windows are black on the outside and white on the inside. I have wood clad windows with sdl.

o

Yes, our windows came with a color on the outside, and wood (to be painted any color) on the inside. They are SDL also.

o

We are using Plygem Pro 400 series. It is a wood-composite (pvc) window, so the outside can be painted and the inside is white. They are reasonably priced windows.We have not painted the outside yet, but we used a similar window at my husbands office 7 years ago and it still looks very good.

o

Lucy0214 - what is the name of the stone you're using? I really like the look. Are you saying the inside of your windows are white or tan?

Very interesting comments so far. I had assumed tan windows were just that, tan inside and out.

Saftgeek-

o

We got the rock through general shale, it's called splitface limestone in Cherokee color. It doesn't have mortar yet. We have tan vinyl inside and outside I think they are Windcore or something like that. Thanks

o

What happened to southernmum? I'm trying to think of where tan/beige windows would look good with stone and I'm not coming up with anything convincing. I can imagine that would be true of several other colors including white but not tan/beige.

o
another

another stone house

o
also

another stone house

o

I'm here! Sorry, I've had a busy day! I appreciate all the responses. My stone is called Mossy Creek Olde World, and I just worry white windows might stand out. Here is a sample of the stone and the tan/beige windows this owner used. (Found this on the stone co. website.) Oh, and yes, they are vinyl clad, I believe. I need to go look at my contract and will come back and post specifics. Thanks again! *Lucy, I love your house! So pretty! And it's interesting, I live on a mountain in the South, too! :)

This post was edited by southernmum on Thu, Feb 28, 13 at 19:44

o

I should also mention, the stone on the house above is my selection of stone as well. This is not my house, but my stone! :)

o

Our windows came vinyl on the outside and pre-painted wood on the inside, except where we were staining them and they came with the bare wood on the inside.

o

Southern mom - you live in same town as me! My builder built the house in your photo! I have almond vinyl windows on inside and outside. You are more than welcome to see in person if you want. My email is windowaccentsatepbfi.com. (Use @ in place of thr letters!)

o

Downsy, that's wild! I don't know anyone irl that comes to Garden Web! I'll email you... Small world!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here