Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Frank Betz Hedgewick Plan

Posted by jkziel (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 18, 13 at 12:07

After some scouring and debate my husband and I agree on a plan (not saying, we are building it neccesarily, but the first step is a similar vision, right?), anyone build this plan? Anyone have some general feedback or ideas? Thoughts about layout? Suggestions?

We are shopping for a .5-1 acre south facing lot in a rural area. We'd like to have a basement foundation.

just generating ideas, look forward to your thoughts

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Frank Betz Hedgewick Plan

I swear I linked the plan, let me try again

Here is a link that might be useful: Plan

o

I think the garage is way too small, along with the lack of a mud room. I would definitely want a walkin pantry, but that's just me. I do like the stair location but wonder how much traffic will be generated throught the family room to go up and down the stairs? I would also want a closet in my foyer.

o

Thank you! A few of those things I had on my list, as we live in a 110 yr old cottage without a garage currently I don't have a lot of reference for garage dimensions.

o

The size of garage really depends on what type of vehicles you drive and what you want to do with it. If you have large(r) suvs or trucks then you need to keep in mind that they can be close to 20' long. If you plan to store a lot in the garage (many people do) then remember to take that space out of the available parking area. 24' is the minimum depth i would go regardless of vehicle size (unless you drive a smart car). Also keep in mind the garage door heighth and width.

o

Thank you for the information. Currently we have 1 compact car and 1 mini-van (3 young kids!). Eventually we will probably end up swapping out the compact for a truck, at least that is my husband's master plan!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here