Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
juline17

Starting from scratch -new house design

juline17
10 years ago

I'm starting a new thread since we're starting over again in the house design process anyway. Thank you to everyone who has helped me get to this point!!!

To summarize the last thread; designing an acreage house on the Saskatchewan prairie with two little girls and frequent overnight guests.
The previous plan (see link below) was unique, but had some (major?) layout issues. However, my main concern was the cost to build it was nearly twice my budget. So, back to the drawing board.

I found this plan online and liked the idea:
{{gwi:1410893}}

With that in mind, we sat down last night and came up with a revised plan (actually, I threw in the towel at 1am, but woke up to this...) It is nearly 2100 sq.ft (600 less than the old plan), and even to my untrained eye, looks less expensive to build.

Side elevation / front elevation

First floor:

Second floor:

Please keep in mind that this is a first draft. I do see some structural issues, like the beam that has to support the upstairs bathroom running across the vaulted area.

To give you an idea about orientations; the right side of the layout is towards the north, and although not the most aesthetically pleasing, the garage is front loading to avoid the nasty NW dominant wintertime winds. The amount of windows on the north side is also minimized. The south-east facing deck will be towards a small lake (more like a slough, really), and I plan on designing the southern overhangs to block the sun in the summer, while maximizing the wintertime sun (except for the screened deck I suppose).

The mudroom was placed near the main entrance for easy outside access, and there will be a door to close the mess whenever we have visitors.

As for the kitchen, I'll post for some layout help in the kitchen forum as well.

Thank again for all the input I've received so far! You are amazing and have already prevented sooo many mistakes in our build. Please keep it coming!

Here is a link that might be useful: Previous thread with old house design.

Comments (9)

• Skyangel23
    10 years ago

I am no expert, but this looks much better to me. Don't forget a window over the sink! And Maybe some sliders or patio french doors off of the eat-in area. The exterior is very nice.

• okpokesfan
    10 years ago

I agree with sky angel. I like this plan so much better. My first comment has to do with your main entry opening up into your mudroom and the door hitting a closet. I would put a wall between the formal entry and the mudroom and think about moving that closet that the door backs in to.

I guess my other question would be this. If you have an acreage to build on, why would you want a façade that features the garage so prominently. Would it be possible to change the garage doors to the side?

• juline17
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Skyangel -yes, we'll add the windows the kitchen once I figure where the sink should be. Regardless, I should have showed them on this plan as well -blaming sleep deprivation...lol

Okpokesfan -I agree that the guest closet is weird behind the door like that. Would moving the door a touch to the left help the problem? Alternatively making the mudroom door by the garage wall (instead of the middle), with the guest closet across from the entry door.

As for the garage, I have honestly no idea what to do. We certainly have the space to make the garage opening to the north, but will we be cursing it when the snow and wind blows right into it on a winter morning with -40 degrees outside? Or would it be worth it for a much better look? I don't know -I've actually never owned a house with a garage before...
    I am open to ideas how to solve this conundrum!!!

• renovator8
    10 years ago

This is a semi-urban house type designed for close access to the street and just enough space to park 2 cars in the driveway. The basic concept is driven by a tight relationship with the garage which makes the house awkward inside and outside.

If you want to start from scratch look at houses that take advantage of the site with a driveway that shows off the house.

• juline17
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Renovator -I would love to see an example if you happen to have one?

In case it helps, here is the lot and road plan. Our lot is the one in the center (B), and we're building on the tiny ridge right in the middle if it

{{gwi:1410900}}

This post was edited by juline17 on Thu, Feb 6, 14 at 13:34

• okpokesfan
    10 years ago

I had that configuration in a previous home (walking in the front door into a closet) and I hated it. Scooting the front door over might help but you would have to see what it did to the façade.

• juline17
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm actually surprised none of you are commenting on the front window configuration... That's the main thing I actually have an issue with. I'm hoping I can talk DH into setting the tv on a swivel between the dining and the living room area (south wall), and taking out the crazy corners in the living room. Also praying for some better looking windows and a centered dormer

• renovator8
    10 years ago

It looks like you are about 9 ft above the water so you will probably have a good view of it.

Before designing a house on a site like this one it is essential that you spend a day there from sun up to sundown and to write down all of your impressions.

Then give your notes to an architect along with a program of the spaces you think you want and any special relationships between them. Give him/her photos of the things you find interesting and note what in particular you like or dislike and why. Contradictory information is allowed, an architect has seen it all before. But resist the temptation to give the architect a plan.

The most valuable design approach is that of collaboration and you can't collaborate with yourself or by giving a designer a plan. Ask any prospective architect how he/she feels about collaboration and if they don't find it useful find another one.

I don't mean to offend you, but a site like this deserves more than a run-of-the mill predesigned plan from the internet. You will never regret the investment you make in a good architect.

• juline17
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm not offended the least, no worries. I know you're right, and if I had the money I would certainly do just that. However, the going rate for architects here is 11.5% of the building cost, WAY out of my price range.