Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
illinigirl_gw

how many different cabinet door styles are you putting in?

illinigirl
10 years ago

in your whole house- with kitchen, vanities, lockers, other built ins- are you keeping things pretty similar or something different in each space?

I'm just not sure how to approach things. I've picked out my kitchen first, and then the stuff in the mudroom (right outside the kitchen) will be the same, but from there to the vanities? all baths the same, something different here and there? not sure.

what have you got going on for cabinets across the whole house?

Comments (12)

• robynstamps
    10 years ago

We are probably going to go with the same style throughout the house but different colors. We have white and dark gray in the kitchen but will probably do brown in all the bathrooms and mudroom. We are still deciding on the laundry room.

Good luck!
    Robyn

• MFatt16
    10 years ago

I am pretty bland so I was planning on doing the exact same thing throughout. Although none of the cabinet areas are visible from one another I figured it was easier and less likely to have mistakes that way.

• rrah
    10 years ago

I choose for all rooms to have the same cabinets with same stain. Hardware varies. It was just easier, and I figured I loved them enough for the kitchen so why not everywhere? That said I did use three different door styles: one raised panel, one raised with an arch, and one with glass uppers. Built-ins have the same arch style as the cabinets.

• LE
    10 years ago

All the same, with the only variation being the metal finish on the pulls, which varies from upstairs to downstairs. I like a lot of different things, but ended up weighting unity over variety. It's also a small house, so that is part of why it seemed more important to me to keep it simple.

• akshars_mom
    10 years ago

illinigirl,
    We have the same door style and paint choice in the kitchen and built-ins .
    For the bathroom I wanted some variety so the three bathrooms have different stains and a simpler door style.

I went with a simpler door style for the vanities for reducing cost the bathrooms are smaller so felt the simpler style would go better.

I think when you are doing custom build and you have the choice of choosing the stain you can choose different if you like so every bathroom does not look the same.

• xc60
    10 years ago

We are doing all the same style, except for the kitchen perimeter in white and rest of cabinets in a espresso. We are also having the drawers all slab throughout the house except for the kitchen, it will have the 5 piece profile drawer fronts. The cabinet company wanted almost $4000 to do all the drawers with the 5 piece profiles. Crazy!!!

• kirkhall
    10 years ago

We have 5 different styles in a house less than 2100 sq ft. It works fine. Do what you like.

• autumn.4
    10 years ago

We have a different door style on our island to pick up the glaze...perimeter and great room built in door styles match. The rest are all similar styles to the kitchen perimeter but different finish...
    White painted maple in kitchen and laundry
    Stained hickory in boys bath and island
    Stained maple or alder with glaze in master-how sad I can't even recall. Lol!

I think you can mix it up if you choose, esp if in different rooms.

• Carol.33
    10 years ago

We used the same throughout the houseâ¦. quarter sawn oak with a light stain, shaker style.
    I'd say use whatever you like, doesn't have to be all the same.

• illinigirl
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Looks like we are going with two..... Shaker in all spaces except baths and laundry..... Those will be modified shaker with a bead molding.

• lazy_gardens
    10 years ago

We've decided to minimize the style changes ... all baths will have the same tile and fixtures, all cabinetry will be same style (whatever it is, probably shaker and plain), all wood finishes the same color or natural wood.

Probably mellow stained local pine, mesquite is the budget holds up.

• Awnmyown
    10 years ago

I like variety. It's BORING to walk into the same bathroom for the next 50 years. Never mind to have every bathroom also look the same. Ugh. (yes, there's always reason to remodel, but this way, I'll only get tired of one bathroom at a time...and it might take longer). This means that the cabinets are all different, but when they're in close proximity, I tried to make them match and flow but not be identical.

Kitchen has the same style (Thomasville Chrisi 5-Piece) but in two colors. Drybar around the corner has Ikea cabinets in the near identical color to the kitchen perimeter cabinets. Hoping to put the same cabinets as the drybar into the walk-in pantry.

The main bathroom is very modern-industrial. So it has an ikea cabinet, same color as the drybar, different style.

Mudroom I haven't decided. Kinda wanting something different. Upstairs bath is very zen spa-like, so it's a dark cocoa cabinet in a very modern style.

Walk in closet cabinets are cheaper, but in a color to match the big jacuzzi tub right outside the room.

I just like variety. But continuity. If that makes sense.