Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Home Plan Review/Questions

Posted by MSGRun (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 11, 13 at 10:55

We are at the beginning stages of planning to build a home in Northern Rural-ish Maryland and we have decided to move forward with this plan. It seems to be popular since it's on the front page of every web site I've gone to. Although, I've never seen it actually built.

Has anyone built this floor plan? Seen this house? See obvious flaws that I can't see?

Also, we got a BASIC cost estimate through the website for construction costs, which if you're interested came out to about $400k for best materials used. This included grading, utilities, septic, etc. Has anyone also does this? How close of an estimate was this? We definitely wouldn't use high-end/best for every single thing, but I found this a bit much for a 2,600 sq ft house (the basement would be walk out unfinished and the loft area would be finished later). I know I need to get many bids and just see but I was just looking for a heads up to see if we should press on elsewhere or if I can let myself fall in love with this plan. We were hoping for something in the $300-$350k range.

Any thoughts on this is greatly appreciated.

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to House Plans and photos

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Home Plan Review/Questions

We've critiqued this plan before, let me see if I can find it for you...(it really wasn't popular with us GWers).

I can't find the other post... Hopefully the person who posted it for comment will link it to this one.

The cost estimate may be low, frankly. The round breakfast nook and the angles add to the cost quite a bit.

This post was edited by kirkhall on Mon, Feb 11, 13 at 12:33

o

Perhaps some one that lives nearby can speak to the cost more accurately, but $400,000 in MD doesn't surprise me for this plan. It's filled with corners and curves. Even here in the relatively inexpensive midwest, one would be pushing it to build this for less than $400,000.

Does that cost include the land or is the land separate?

I've found this calculator more accurate in the past.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cost estimator

o

My memory of the criticisms: not enough usable space in the lodge room, because you need to allow for walkways on two sides. The breakfast area is cramped, because of the round shape and the doorways. Much of the kitchen counters aren't in a usable place, and so you end up with a large expensive kitchen that functions like small, cramped one. The most direct path from the garage to the kids' bedrooms goes through the kitchen hot zone. The keeping room and the lodge room are acoustically connected, so there's not much value in having both of them-- one will not be a quiet refuge from the other.

I'm sure someone else will chime in to correct me or add on!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here