Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jamannor

Cathedral Ceiling in MB and surround sound in family room

jamannor
11 years ago

This is my first post. My wife and I are looking to build our first house in a typical subdivision in the Ann Arbor Michigan area. We just got done with a preliminary quote from the builder and I was pleasantly surprised that with all the options we added we were only 6% over the amount I wanted to spend. With that though I'm not sure about a couple of the upgrades and wanted to ask those questions.

We have an option to have cathedral ceilings in our Master bedroom ($1,045) and I think it might be nice to make the room look larger, but at the same time my wife and I really could care less. I've heard that they are hard to changing lighting, and they are hard to paint. For resale is this something people really prefer over not having it.

We were also asked about wiring for surround sound (7.1 is $345, I can't remember 5.1 but it was 100 or 150 less)and how we wanted to wire it. My wife is a little opposed to this idea. I think she would like to have wireless surround sound. My question is around the differences between 5.1 and 7.1 besides price. In an open concept family room does 7.1 even make sense? Also if anyone knows can I only buy a system for 5.1 and still use the 7.1 wires?

Thanks for all reply's I have a lot more questions but figure these are the two that are on my mind at the moment.

Comments (5)