Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cathedral Ceiling in MB and surround sound in family room

Posted by jamannor (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 5, 13 at 10:38

This is my first post. My wife and I are looking to build our first house in a typical subdivision in the Ann Arbor Michigan area. We just got done with a preliminary quote from the builder and I was pleasantly surprised that with all the options we added we were only 6% over the amount I wanted to spend. With that though I'm not sure about a couple of the upgrades and wanted to ask those questions.

We have an option to have cathedral ceilings in our Master bedroom ($1,045) and I think it might be nice to make the room look larger, but at the same time my wife and I really could care less. I've heard that they are hard to changing lighting, and they are hard to paint. For resale is this something people really prefer over not having it.

We were also asked about wiring for surround sound (7.1 is $345, I can't remember 5.1 but it was 100 or 150 less)and how we wanted to wire it. My wife is a little opposed to this idea. I think she would like to have wireless surround sound. My question is around the differences between 5.1 and 7.1 besides price. In an open concept family room does 7.1 even make sense? Also if anyone knows can I only buy a system for 5.1 and still use the 7.1 wires?

Thanks for all reply's I have a lot more questions but figure these are the two that are on my mind at the moment.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cathedral Ceiling in MB and surround sound in family room

I would wire now for 7.1, keep wires in walls and take pics before sheetrock goes up. Yes, you can use 5.1 (front 3, side surrounds), without using the back speakers. Most modern AVR's can acoustically tune your speakers for your room (audessey room correction etc..)

o

When we were building our house, the architect originally designed our MB with a 10' ceiling like the rest of the house. Dh realized that since our MB is basically in a one-story wing off the back of our house...we could take the ceilings all the way up to the roofline. We thought it would look so grand. Well, after it was dry-walled, it looked ridiculous. So plain. So we had to spend several thousand dollars to have beams installed to at least give it some interest. So then it looked pretty. And they laid the HWs, and stained and finished them, and it looked prettier still.

And then we moved in. And even with an area rug...OMG, we feel like we sleep in Grand Central Station. Not cozy at all. And every snore and cough is magnified...the whole first week we lived in the house I would be asleep, hear a crashing sound, leap out of bed to find out what mirror or light fixture fell...never figured it out. Then one night, it happened again, but dh was awake. He said, "well, I figured out what the crash was...I coughed and you bolted up like you were on fire."

Sorry for the long story, but that is my cautionary tale against cathedral ceilings in bedrooms. Do a pretty coffer on a normal ceiling instead.

o

I would echo nini804 - we saw a home with a high master bedroom ceiling and it felt REALLY sterile

o

Nini--that gorgeous home of yours...I'm surprised to hear that there is anything less than perfect!

o

It is amazing what you figure out after you actually live in the house!!! :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here